Football | News | Peter Tatchell | Sports

UK Footballer Says He Knows 12 Top Players Who are Gay

Speaking at 'Homophobia – Football's Final Taboo', a forum on the sport, ex-central defender for Chelsea and Celtic Paull Elliott told the gathering that he knows of at least 12 top football players who are gay but are reluctant to come out "because they fear negative reactions."

ElliottAdditionally, "BBC commentator Bob Ballard, who chaired the event, criticised the FA and Chelsea for allowing the appointment of Phil Scolari as Chelsea manager. Brazilian Scolari had said that he would never have a gay player on his team, which is against the FA's equal treatment rules. Accusing the FA of double standards, Ballard said that if Scolari had said he would kick out black or Jewish players he would have never been appointed at Chelsea."

Gay activist Peter Tatchell also participated in the forum. Said Tatchell: "The Football Association has great equality policies on paper but it often fails to put them into practice. It's time to turn the FA's opposition to anti-gay prejudice into action and give homophobia the boot."

Comments

1. Oh, shoot. When I first saw the headline for this story, I thought y'all were talking about American Football.

Oh, well, it's nice to know anyway...and I hope they can "come out" one day...over there in...where ever.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 17, 2008 11:34:09 AM

2. No, Derrick... it's about REAL football. ;)

Seriously, you should watch some English football matches. They recruit players from all over the world so there's no shortage of pretty, pretty boys.

I try to convince my boyfriend I watch football for love of the sport. He's not buying it.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 17, 2008 11:57:01 AM

3. @derrick: lol, more people know footballers than american football players. I know I do and i'm in the US.

Posted by: Sergio | Oct 17, 2008 12:06:07 PM

4. I get the impression that American str8 men think all soccer players are gay.

Posted by: anon | Oct 17, 2008 12:16:06 PM

5. As gay men - I hope we all have taken the time to make friends with bi men - and if we have we know that being bi is almost a natural state and being gay is more common than most admit.

Think of how many men you know that pass as straight in your world ... and know that is going on everywhere ... even in sports.

Crazy worldwide fantasy world where being gay/bi is not know as a norm ...

................

www.thenewvulgarity.blogspot.

Lots of athletes and all male muscle pics. Free for my buds. Enjoy

Posted by: RJP3 | Oct 17, 2008 1:02:21 PM

6. Bi is almost a natural state? I don't think that came out the way you wanted. Is it still actually unnatural? I tend to think of bi as Str8 + Really Horny + Beer. I've not come across gay guys who sleep with women after having a few, but who knows.

Posted by: anon | Oct 17, 2008 1:49:48 PM

7. CRISPY,

you know that when I tried to be cute with my earlier comment I knew you were going to "read" me. I know how much you love the "real" football. I want to assure you and SERGIO that I love real football (soccer) too, and the soccer guys are even CUTER than American football players.

Also, I've learned a great deal about the game. It's where you hit the ball with the bat while aiming it at the wicket...right? Well, right?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 17, 2008 3:52:50 PM

8. The link to Daily Mail doesn't work, maybe they have removed the article.

Posted by: Fernando | Oct 17, 2008 4:12:49 PM

9. LOL Derrick! You forgot one key part... all the players are on horseback.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 17, 2008 4:25:06 PM

10. For some reason, I do kinda feel like soccer would have a high number of gay guys...i dunno, footsies and short pants and cute guys...seems kinda natural

Posted by: Pro-Football | Oct 17, 2008 8:39:36 PM

11. The UK Twelve! Names, names, we want NAMES, dammit! (and photos wouldn't hurt, either) LOL

Posted by: jim | Oct 17, 2008 8:40:16 PM

12. I wonder if Rio Ferdinand was present. He's been pretty vocal on this issue throughout his career.

Now Mr Elliott, is Florent Malouda on that list?

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 18, 2008 5:13:18 PM