Anglican church | Bjorn Borg | Gay Marriage | News | Religion

Bjorn Borg Launches Dating Site, Goes for Gay Priest Market

Priests1

Former tennis pro-turned underwear mogul Bjorn Borg has launched an online dating business and is promoting it with this viral video of two fictional priests who get married.

It may not be the most lucrative approach, but Borg's "love for all" message should be commended, and, well, it did happen.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Priests2

Comments

1. that's fuckin' amazing!

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 25, 2008 6:08:57 PM

2. I concur Peter, wowzers.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Nov 25, 2008 6:39:35 PM

3. That is beautiful! It made my heart feel good.

Posted by: kimmer | Nov 25, 2008 6:47:04 PM

4. No-on-8 folks, PAY ATTENTION! This is how you make a commercial.

Duh.

Posted by: freddy | Nov 25, 2008 7:19:50 PM

5. has anybody actually gone to the site? its hillarious... I'm not sure what kind of a dating site it is.. but its kinda funny.. very hetero results.. but funny nonetheless

Posted by: northernborder | Nov 25, 2008 7:31:39 PM

6. I really liked that! kudos to Kimmer, that would have been an amazing NO commercial.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 25, 2008 10:25:27 PM

7. Kudos to Bjorn!

Peep my blog y'all:

Posted by: John | Nov 25, 2008 10:46:13 PM

8. That was so fynnng phenomenally sweet I was almost left speechless!

Posted by: MRev. Kenneth White, Jnr. | Nov 25, 2008 11:21:09 PM

9. So who's singing the Cyndi Lauper song? Sounds a little like Bjork ... but I'm not ready to put money on that.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 25, 2008 11:31:54 PM

10. So who's singing the Cyndi Lauper song? Sounds a little like Bjork ... but I'm not ready to put money on that.

Posted by: Glenn I | Nov 25, 2008 11:32:31 PM

11. oh, Freddy. that's very sweet, and totally naive, that you think a commercial like that would have helped the No On 8 campaign.

Posted by: le_sacre | Nov 26, 2008 12:02:26 AM

12. Why the priest garb, though? I'm not following that. It seems it's just for shock value. Wouldn't the point have been equally made had they been dressed in regular clothes? Thoughts?

Posted by: KB | Nov 26, 2008 12:11:03 AM

13. i would never have thought that a tennis god like bjorn bork would have arrived at this. thank you, mr. bork. you made my day.

Posted by: nic | Nov 26, 2008 12:55:47 AM

14. In Scandinavia we have this very different look at gay marriage. And it is no surprise to me, that Bjørn chose this approach. Some 15 years ago, IKEA made a commercial with two guys loving their new kitchen so much, they ended up having sex in it. This commercial ran in Cinema's and on TV. No big deal. Here in Denmark, two gay Priests actually did get married. About 10 years ago now. Again, no big deal. My hope is that some day, gay marriage will be no big deal everywhere. Ain't no stopping us, right? ;)

Posted by: TheNiebur | Nov 26, 2008 3:56:28 AM

15. That is so incredibly beautiful

Posted by: Steve | Nov 26, 2008 5:18:00 AM

16. Amazing video and song. Finally found the singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRWdjVi-g9Q&feature=related

Posted by: TexRon | Nov 26, 2008 9:07:25 AM

17. @Glen I

It's by Ane Brun, a Norwegian singer. Album is called 'Changing Of The Seasons'.

Posted by: Pet | Nov 26, 2008 9:12:00 AM

18. That was far sweeter than I imagined, almost made me cry. Beautiful!

Posted by: Steve | Nov 26, 2008 9:30:25 AM

19. @KB: I think that given the "fake-out" structure of the ad, at least one of the men had to be seen to be a clergymember early on to "mislead" the viewer into thinking that the other guy (the one who looks a little like David Paymer) is marrying the woman. For me, the surprise of the commercial was not that the men were marrying each other, but that they were both priests (not just one of them). But I guess the ad agency figured that if they were marrying one priest to another man, why not two?

Posted by: Thomasina | Nov 26, 2008 10:44:46 AM

20. The singer doing true colors is Ane Brun - she's amazing!

Posted by: Jason | Nov 26, 2008 12:03:41 PM

21. It's not a dating site. It's an interactive ad for Bjorn Borgs new underwear line Love For All

Posted by: Hans | Nov 26, 2008 2:15:24 PM

22. I understand the "fake-out" aspect of it but I think it's ultimately disrespectful to the church. I think it would have been equally as compelling had it just been two secular men.

Posted by: KB | Nov 26, 2008 3:43:14 PM

23. @KB,

if the "church" deserved respect, i might agree w/u.

Posted by: nic | Nov 26, 2008 9:10:09 PM

24. @NIC

I'm not surprised to see a comment like that. Despite the church's misinformed stance on our community, they are still one of the most charitable organizations in this world and to ignore that is silly. No, they are not perfect. Few are. And yes, they've caused us (and still continue to) a lot of pain. But they have saved many from poverty and death. I will not overlook their generosity just because they've caused me personal pain. There are many fine members of the church that support us and hope to see us achieve happiness. I find it incredibly disrespectful to take what they hold sacred and turn it on it's head for the sale of underwear. Which brings me to...

Since posting last and after reading that this is not a dating website but an underwear website, I've come to realize how kinda awful this commercial is. This straight person has co-opted our cause for his benefit and, while doing so, will potentially piss of the people we're trying to get to understand us. It may be beautifully filmed and it, on the surface, may cause a tear to swell, but it's not something we should be applauding since it really is not helping us in any way other than to momentarily fulfill some dream we're all seeking.

Thumbs down from me.

Posted by: KB | Nov 27, 2008 2:06:11 AM

25. since religuosity has been foreign to me since i was 16, i cannot accept your premise. you are truly begging the question.

what can any church do that human beings cannot do for each other?

Posted by: nic | Nov 27, 2008 5:53:45 AM