Anglican church | Bjorn Borg | Gay Marriage | News | Religion

Bjorn Borg Launches Dating Site, Goes for Gay Priest Market

Priests1

It may not be the most lucrative approach, but Borg's "love for all" message should be commended, and, well, it did happen.

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Priests2

Comments

1. It's not about what they can do. It's about what they have done. If you want to be blind to their generosity, be my guest. :)

Regardless of what you think of them, it shouldn't mean you need to be insulting in trying to achieve goals in your life. That's not how gentlemen play.

Posted by: KB | Nov 27, 2008 9:55:45 PM

2. GOOD FOR BJORN! He's a clothing mogul and household name in his home country. This is as big a deal as Fruit Of The Loom honoring gay relationships.

Posted by: stevedenver | Nov 27, 2008 10:08:08 PM

3. @NIC

I'm not surprised to see a comment like that. Despite the church's misinformed stance on our community, they are still one of the most charitable organizations in this world and to ignore that is silly. No, they are not perfect. Few are. And yes, they've caused us (and still continue to) a lot of pain. But they have saved many from poverty and death. I will not overlook their generosity just because they've caused me personal pain. There are many fine members of the church that support us and hope to see us achieve happiness. I find it incredibly disrespectful to take what they hold sacred and turn it on it's head for the sale of underwear. Which brings me to...

Since posting last and after reading that this is not a dating website but an underwear website, I've come to realize how kinda awful this commercial is. This straight person has co-opted our cause for his benefit and, while doing so, will potentially piss of the people we're trying to get to understand us. It may be beautifully filmed and it, on the surface, may cause a tear to swell, but it's not something we should be applauding since it really is not helping us in any way other than to momentarily fulfill some dream we're all seeking.

Thumbs down from me.

IT AMAZES ME HOWEVER GOOD THE MESSAGE OF THIS COMMERCIAL THAT THERE'S STILL ONE NIT PICKY UNSATISFIED CRITIC LIKE @NIC CHOSES TO FOCUS ON THE SO CALLED MARKET EXPLOITATION OF BJORN BORG FOR THE GAY COMMUNITY RATHER THAN CELEBRATE AN OTHERWISE POSITIVE POSSIBILITY FOR EVERYONE.
    THE MESSAGE WAS CLEAR; LOVE FOR ALL.
    EVEN IF THAT'S THE UNDERWEAR THEME OF HIS COMPANY, DON'T YOU APPRECIATE IT THAT HE CHOSE TO GO THIS WAY? HE COULD HAVE CHOSEN RABBITS FOR ALL HE CARES TO FEATURE IN THIS COMMERCIAL BUT HE CHOSE A BETTER MORE EFFECTIVE AND MEMORABLE ONE. YOU WANT GAY MARIAGE? THEN DON'T EXCLUDE STRAIGHT PEOPLE FOR EMBRACING YOUR SO CALLED CAUSE. IN THE END, EVERYONE WINS HERE AND THAT'S A FACT.
    THANKS FOR SPOILING THE MOMENT FOR ALL OF US. :(

Posted by: RANDY | Nov 28, 2008 3:07:24 PM

4. Firstly, I made the comment and not NIC. And you've missed my point. Had this commercial us secular people, I would have found it great. The fact that they use catholic priests is insulting to anyone that is catholic. Not because they don't believe in gay marriage, but because they don't allow priests to get married at all. They view the role of a priest as sacred and this underwear company is doing nothing but trying to get a rise out of them. Using two priests makes this commerical not about gay marriage in the least. See my point? Don't be so quick to start crying foul.

Posted by: KB | Nov 28, 2008 6:38:13 PM

5. It' disrespectful to the church? How? It's just the celebration of two religious men who found love in each other. But it must be disrespectful to the church if they disagree with it, I guess.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Nov 29, 2008 3:03:23 AM

6. You're asking a question that I answered in the post before. But I'll repeat myself again. It's not disrespectful because it is 2 men, it is disrespectful because a priest is getting married. If you're a catholic, you should know why that is disrespectful. If you're not, you should still be able to guess. A priest's role in the church is considered very sacred. They take vows of chastity and are expected to live by them. If they choose to break those vows, they must leave the church. In which case, they shouldn't be wearing their collars anymore. If it was a priest and a nun or a priest and a non-secular woman it would be equally as disrespectful. This isn't rocket science.

Posted by: KB | Nov 29, 2008 12:16:03 PM

7. KB....it isn't just CATHOLIC priest that wear the dog collar. I think the female priest should have been a giveaway. Episcopalians and some other Protestant denominations do wear the dog collar as well.

I thought this was an incredibly lovely thing. It's gone way beyond being an ad...hence my presence here.

Posted by: capelza | Dec 5, 2008 11:21:47 PM

8. What difference does it make if they are catholic or not?

Posted by: KB | Dec 6, 2008 1:51:15 PM

9. Former tennis pro-turned underwear mogul Bjorn Borg has launched an online dating business and is promoting it with this viral video of two fictional priests who get married. Hey, it did happen. Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP
    -------------------
    Fred

Online Dating

Posted by: Fred | Jan 23, 2009 1:07:30 PM

10. y'all are a bunch of sickos...

Posted by: sancho | Apr 20, 2009 10:36:28 PM