Canada | Crime | News

Canadian Lesbian Couple Assaulted Outside School

Attack1

A Toronto-area lesbian couple were the targets of an unprovoked attack and assault by a man while picking their kids up at school on Friday:

Oshawa"Ms. Dimitriou, 30, and her lesbian partner Jane Currie, 37, said Friday they still can’t believe what happened. 'He clocked me right in the face, like right in the side of my face, and I hit my truck and I couldn’t see anything, like I blacked out,' Ms. Dimitriou said. 'I was awake but I could hear everything but I just couldn’t see anything. Then I think he clocked me again right in the top of my head.' Classes had just let out Monday at Gordon B. Attersley elementary school on Attersley Drive, according to the couple. Ms. Dimitriou said she was helping her son put his backpack into the car when another student’s father came toward her and began yelling. He referred to her and Ms. Currie as men, she said, as she recounted what happened. Ms. Dimitriou said the man swore at her, called her a slang word for lesbian in an aggressive and derogatory way, then 'out of nowhere' spit in her face and punched her."

When Dimitriou's partner Currie ran over to help, she too was assaulted, requiring four stitches. This all happened in front of the couple's children, the attacker's children, and other children at a school.

Attacker Mark Scott faces two charges of assault.

Watch the news report HERE.

Comments

1. That this happened at all is horrific; that it happened in front of the couple's children (and the attacker's) makes it so much worse. Hopefully the man's fitness as a parent will be carefully evaluated. At this point, he's raising a child who has a good chance of being violent and homophobic.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 10, 2008 1:48:39 PM

2. Disgusting. As a gay dad of a 7 year old, I can tell you this act makes me sick. I can only imagine what their son must be feeling.
    My prayers are with this couple and their family - and for this a-hole's kid, too. His poor child will never have a chance to be a human being.

Posted by: Craig K. | Nov 10, 2008 1:57:50 PM

3. Ya know - these whack-jobs seem to think that gays and lesbians are a threat to society, but for the life of me, I can't remember the last time a homosexual walked up to a random "straight xtian" and just attacked them.

Maybe that should happen more often? If gays and lesbians actually WERE the big bad boogey-men that the church paints us to be, "people of faith" might just leave us the fuck alone!!!

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Nov 10, 2008 2:00:34 PM

4. Just terrible. Those poor kids. I'm embarrassed it happened in Ontario, though it being Oshawa is not that shocking.

Posted by: secretagentman | Nov 10, 2008 2:04:48 PM

5. Just goes to show that having marriage rights doesn't solve the real problems facing the gay community.

Posted by: Graham | Nov 10, 2008 2:12:04 PM

6. Uh, Durham is full of evangelical churches. Not surprised.

Posted by: Landis | Nov 10, 2008 2:18:47 PM

7. I'm afraid to say, i feel these types of violent acts are going increase as we are more in the headlines for fighting for our rights. No, marriage rights don't solve the issues but it's part of the path. I'm sorry for them and the poor children around them. This SOB deserves more that two counts of assault!

Posted by: will | Nov 10, 2008 2:56:07 PM

8. Don't be surprised when the charges of assault get up graded to a charge of hate crime.
    Which carries a much higher sentence.
    In the case of assault its jail time.

We still have that nasty under belly of bigotry up here...but we don't play well with it.

Posted by: griffin1573 | Nov 10, 2008 2:59:21 PM

9. On one hand I'm shocked that happened, but I guess I shouldn't be. I live on the West Coast of B.C. and work for a lesbian doctor. She's told me stories about how she and her partner have had to relocate every few years because they basically get run out of whatever community they're residing in. All because they're a gay couple. And worst of all, their children get teased and bullied so badly for it they often have to get pulled out of school to stay safe! It's wrong and I don't know how that's going to change. Judging by this story it won't happen in our life time. The Hopi are right. If people don't put aside their predjuces and intolerances, this world will never see peace. Talk about tragedy.

Posted by: DUDESMOM | Nov 10, 2008 3:04:38 PM

10. I know it's wrong for me to want to beat that guy until he has to piss through a tube for the rest of his life, but I can't help it. And that's still better than the Nazi swine deserves.

Posted by: MikeMick | Nov 10, 2008 5:13:31 PM

11. Please join Facebook group regarding this incident.

Posted by: JESUS | Nov 10, 2008 11:47:09 PM

12. That is sickening - seriously!! I am a fellow Torontonian and this is horrible. This is the reason that stupidity like Prop 8 should not be passed. This is about love, and having one Earth to share it. Religion and ignorance are the evils in this society.
    My heart goes out to these women. I hope the bastard that did this rots in jail and his kids realize what an embarrassment he is.

Posted by: Cindy | Nov 11, 2008 7:07:40 AM

13. That is sickening - seriously!! I am a fellow Torontonian and this is horrible. This is the reason that stupidity like Prop 8 should not be passed. This is about love, and having one Earth to share it. Religion and ignorance are the evils in this society.

Posted by: Cindy | Nov 11, 2008 7:08:59 AM