L.A. Film Fest Director Raddon Resigns Over Prop 8 Donation

Los Angeles Film Festival director Richard Raddon, a “devout” Mormon, has resigned from his position following revelations that he donated $1,500 to the campaign to write discrimination into California’s constitution, Variety reports:

Raddon“After bloggers published his name, culled from public records of donors, Raddon tendered his first resignation on Nov. 13 to Film Independent’s board of directors. It was not accepted, and Film Independent released a statement saying, ‘Our organization does not police the personal, religious or political choices of any employee, member or filmmaker.’ Yet Internet message boards and other published reports kept the issue at the center of a growing protest movement that has targeted ‘Yes on 8′ donors including the Mormon Church and Cinemark Theaters, whose CEO was a contributor. On Monday, Raddon submitted a second resignation. Those close to the org described Monday’s conference call with the board of directors as emotional. While Raddon’s contribution had caused some internal angst, he was well liked within the org. On Tuesday, Film Independent issued a statement saying, ‘With great reluctance, Film Independent has accepted Richard Raddon’s resignation. Rich’s service to the independent film community and to Film Independent has been nothing less than extraordinary. He has always shown complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure.'”

A replacement for this bigot has not been named.

Comments

1. yoshi says

“A replacement for this bigot has not been named.”

Once again Andy you show yourselves to be as big of a bigot if not more so. People should not have to be worried about losing their jobs because of the political beliefs. But anyone who doesn’t think just like you about every topic should be silence. Once again – you show how little you understand about freedom.

2. JSH says

I’m sure this will be posted all over the conservative blogs as another ‘witch hunt’ by those radical gays. And it’s sad that one must lose his/her job…but support of bigotry and prejudice cannot be tolerated. If this man had been found supporting the KKK or a Nazi-sympathist organization his resignation would be expected. I feel supporting the Mormon church or other anti-gay organizations is no different.

3. Mike says

I’ve read all kinds of articles talking about the “radical gay” community taking “revenge” and doing “witch hunts”, etc. etc. etc. But, the bottom line with all this is:

What would have happened if it come out that someone had donated money to the KKK or some other ridiculous hateful organization – they would be immediately ridiculed.

It all goes back to the fact that it apparently is “acceptable” to the people who write these articles to discriminate. They are just as despicable as the folks who donated the $$$. The FI Board of Directors should have accepted his first resignation. What were they thinking???

4. Bandit says

‘He has always shown complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure.’

Except in his personal life where he allowed his religion to overrule his sanity and vote
    for a vile and bigoted proposition. What a scumbag. Same goes for Bill Condon who keeps defending this asshole. Religion has become such a hateful thing…..

5. lindsay says

this whole ‘people resigning/feeling forced to resign’ is a little too McCarthyist for me. Yeah, the guy sucks for being an ignorant bigot, but although i may not respect him, i have to respect his right to donate HIS money to something he believes in. If it was the other way around – if the head of a traditionally conservative organization had donated money to NO on 8, and then been ‘asked to resign’ by his peers – we would be completely up in arms about the injustice, and rightfully so.

I don’t know, its all a bit unsettling.

6. says

You really don’t get it, Yoshi. He didn’t lose his job because of his political beliefs. He quit his job because he realized that now that people know he is a bigot, they don’t want to do business with him anymore. It’s like this hardware store near my house. Once I overheard the owner using the N word, I decided I didn’t want to do my business there anymore. The owner is entitled to whatever belief he wants, but he isn’t entitled to my business. Nor is Raddon when it comes to the business of fair-minded people in the film industry.

7. seeldee says

@Michael,

That same line alarmed me, too. Obviously, Raddon was not completely committed to the LA Film Festival’s core principles of equality and diversity. People in public positions must always be aware that the private choices they make may come back to haunt them and be prepared to face the potential consequences of their actions.

Also, it seems like some comment trolls woke up on the wrong side of the bed today…

8. FernLaPlante says

Good. He should resign. @Yoshi, Raddon shouldn’t be able to profit from the entertainment (and gay community) with one hand and then try to discriminate with the same money in the other hand. If a pro-gay member of the Mormon Church donated money to No on Prop 8 you know they would ask for him to step down.

9. tjc says

Yoshi:
    His decision to support Prop 8 _is_ a demonstration of his bigotry. Just because he tries to justify it by wrapping it up in the cloth of “religious freedom” does NOT change that fact. The gay board member (Showgirls or Dreamgirls or whatever writer, I don’t feel like looking him up) was WRONG when he said it was just a religious belief issue.

Not believing women should be Catholic priests? Religious issue.
    Not believing women should be doctors? Bigotry.
    Saying women shouldn’t be doctors for the same reason they shouldn’t be priests? Bigotry.

But the man was NOT fired. He chose to resign because he, I think correctly, determined it would be difficult for him to continue to do his job properly after his bigotry became known.

It’s the same thing as if a closeted KKK member were discovered working for BET, or an anti-Semite was working at the ADL, or a notorious sexist (say, someone who gave money to fight the ERA) was working at Lifetime TV.

When a church — any church — tries to take its restrictive, bigoted views beyond the pews and into the statehouse, it’s wrong. Churches fighting FOR civil rights and against bigotry in the statehouse is fine.

The Mormon church doesn’t have to recognize same-sex married couples — in the church. The Catholic church don’t have to recognize anyone’s divorce — in the church.
    But should the Catholic church be allowed to ban divorce for everyone because Catholics don’t believe in it?

10. Meanwhile says

Screw you, YOSHI. How dare you paint this asshole as a victim? The guy wasn’t fired; he resigned. No one forced him to resign; in fact, they did not initially accept his voluntary resignation.

Did he feel pressure to resign? Yes, but not from his employer. It was from a general public who is fed up with hate, fed up with people who wield their power (money and influence) to force those with less power (minorities) to conform to their own narrow religious views.

If the guy had donated money to the KKK, would you still feel sorry for him?

11. Carmen says

Andy–

I appreciate your comment, “A replacement for this bigot has not been named.”

A bigot is a bigot, I don’t care how much someone says they appreciate diversity, etc. When a person works or contributes toward stealing rights from his fellow human beings, we are left with no choice but to acknowledge this man and so many others as bigots.

I thought it was a very strong statement and I was so glad to see you cut through the bull and call it like it is.

12. says

mixed feelings here, but want to point out that the KKK is about much more than discrimination, so it isn’t exactly a perfect parallel that some people are making.

On the flip side, he used money earned by the patrons and sponsors of the LA Film Festival. I would be inclined not to attend if I knew that the money was being passed off to anti-gay groups.

13. Mike in the Tundra says

” People should not have to be worried about losing their jobs because of the political beliefs.”

However, it’s totally okay for us to be fired for loving someone of the same gender.

14. LarsonNY says

Raddon exercised his right to free speech. We exercise our right to boycott him for doing so. No one is taking away his right to free speech. He helped take away our right to marry. Free speech has consequences. And lets remember- he wasn’t fired. He resigned. Nothing that happened to him involved a violation of, or a removal of any of his civil rights. Can we say the same thing?

15. busytimmy says

The issue is not a person’s privately held beliefs, but his active contribution to the prop 8 campaign. The ballot box is not the place to inflict one’s personal prejudices on society at large. Raddon’s statement says, “I have always held the belief that all people, no matter race, religion or sexual orientation, are entitled to equal rights. As many know, I consider myself a devout and faithful Mormon. I prefer to keep the details around my contribution through my church a private matter.” He has been exposed as a hypocrite who is trying to hide behind religion. Is he saying that Mormons are zombies who jump every time their church says to? I’m happy to see these kinds of people called to give an account of their support for prop 8. It’s inexcusable to say, “My church made me do it.” Perhaps next time he will follow his heart and belief in equality for all people, not the fetid dogma of his church.

16. patrick nyc says

YOSHI to call you an ignorant douche bag is an insult to all douche bags. Instead I’ll call you a stupid fucking idiot.

He gave money to people who want to take away our rights. It is our right not to give him our money, which is why he quit.

17. Wayne says

The LA Film Fest says they are all about equality, yet they align themselves with a devout member of a RACIST religion? Mormons have been preaching for almost 150 years that African Americans are CURSED and that God literally struck them black because of their sinful nature. The entire Mormon “religion” is based on rascism. Not to mention the filth they spew about Gays. That’s the LA Film Festival’s idea of equality?!

18. Ellis says

Bigot is a powerful word and I’m not sure throwing it around is going to get us any further along.. We all understand the need for equality but I’d like to think I won’t lose any of my free will in the process.. A donation is his “right”.. Just as it is my “right” to donate to what I feel is appropriate. If I donate a dollar at St. Mary’s this weekend, should I resign from my job? Am I a bigot because I donated to the Catholic Church or the Mormon Church?? Should I tell the bell ringer or the kids from scouting that I can’t contribute to their bigotry.. Andy..open your mind and think a little

19. noah says

Keep things in perspective.

The reality is that this man and others will be seen by their fellow religious followers as martyrs. They view this man’s action as that of a devoted adherent who is being punished for following his faith.

Thirty-odd years ago, the Mormon Church discriminated against non-whites. People of color were considered less than human. A miraculous revelation occurred to church leaders that the brown folks were OK (just about the time the Church was about to lose its federal tax exempt status because of racism).

Finally, I disagree with posters who say that if a person held similar anti-black or anti-Jewish feelings he would be fired.

Pat Buchanan has a long horrific history of racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic rants. He’s written articles, books, and speeches that denigrate those he deems inferior but he has a welcome place at table of talking heads on major news networks.

Over the summer, Buchanan appeared on a neo-Nazi’s radio program to promote his new book. He also wrote a despicable article called “A Brief for Whitey.”

Buchanan, like Sean Hannity, who gained fame by having a neo-Nazi on his radio program as a regular contributor, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and Michael Savage all make millions of dollars for their hate. They all are “respected” pundits with outlets in the major big money media. Right? Ann Coulter made anti-Semitic remarks, called John Edwards a f*g, and recently tried to blame the housing crisis on the minorities, guess what? Ann has a new book to be published.

Let’s stop pretending that bigots, in general, lose their jobs for their hateful statements. When it happens, it’s the exception to the rule. Ask Don Imus: how long was he off the air for his racist remarks? Three months? He makes how many millions of dollars?

20. Chris says

Discrimination against minorities is not compatible with democracy which does not only include rule of majority, but also protection of minorities/indivuals. So if you support Prop. 8, you’re an enemry of democracy.

So why shouldn’t you lose your job?

21. Bertha Vanation says

So he showed “complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure”. And that includes financing the ballot measure that took away our right to marry. Then it must be said that the LA Film Festival is anti-gay. Guess we should still boycott them if that’s how they feel.

22. Bertha Vanation says

23. daisy says

Andy is absolutely right to call Raddon a bigot. Raddon actually tagged himself through his own actions. These people who stab us in the back then claim to be clueless about what it means make me sick. Thank god the names of these people were brought to light.

24. says

He gave to a cause, he exercised his rights … but was taunted, harassed, slandered, attacked personally and viciously … he treated people with respect at his work but on the one issue of marriage … you try to ruin his life?

Gay couples can still live together, call their unions marriages, work, assemble, speak pretty much live their lives as usual. Sure there is a legitimate issue to discuss on the Government recognition of marriage but the only “lives” I see being ruined are those who dare to oppose your legislative goals.

… and you are calling him the bigot?

25. Derrick from Philly says

“…preaching for almost 150 years that African Americans are CURSED…”

It’s true, WAYNE, I haven’t had a good day since 1977.

“…literally struck them black because of their sinful nature.”

Good old fashioned penis envy.

26. says

Raddon is no martyr. Martyrs stand firm in their beliefs, no matter the consequences, and suffer terribly. Raddon is a gutless coward who is taking the easy way out. Has he no courage at all? Harvey Milk stood taller for his beliefs than this loser his standing for his own religion.

27. Kyle says

The only good thing this guy has done is resign.

He did not “lose” his job – he resigned.

Hey if you’re going to workin in an industry with alot of the people you’re going to affect and contribute to anything that is public and going to be controversial, you should have the intestinal fortitude to face your critics. He could have continued trying to do his job and worked through it – he chose not to do so.

Sayonara asshole.

28. Alex says

Randy:

… and you are calling him the bigot?

If he had given to a cause to strip rights away from Jews or Blacks or Women would you feel the same way? If he said he did it from his relgious beliefs would you feel the same way? Yes, he has a right, just like the KKK has a right to free speech. But we in turn have a right to be outraged.

It is continuing to floor me how acceptable and apologetic mainstream America is with homophobia. It is as unacceptable as racism, xenophobia, censorship, anti-Semitism or sexism. Sure, someone can have religious views about it . . . but I would want the majority of people to see that relgiously sanctioned homophobia is on par with any sort of relgiously sanctioned bigotry. It has no place in our secular government.

Lastly, I just watched a wonderful documentary called Tying the Knot, which I suggest you check out from Netflix or your rental place of choice. I think it explains more than I or anyone else can here the difference between civil unions and marriage. There is a difference. As long as gays are excluded from the institution of marriage we are not equal in the eyes of the law. There are 1,000+ federal rights granted by marriage that are not granted by civil unions or domestic partnerships.

No one is stopping Mr. Raddon from going to temple or wearing his magic underpants. That is his right. But it is our right and the rights of the artists involved with this film festival to express their displeasure at his contribution to strike down equality. As a playwright, if I knew a theater had a bigoted artistic director who was producing my work, I would feel VERY uncomfortable about it and I would not keep quiet.

29. peterparker says

Fuck you, YOSHI! Andy has never shown himself to be a bigot. Pointing out that someone has voted for or donated to a movement to take away our rights and then calling that person makes one a REALIST, not a bigot! (And thank you, Andy, for keeping us informed.)

And RANDY has a blog in which his ‘network’ is listed as Exodus International…another self-loathing faggot who probably voted for Bush, twice.

30. tjc says

Ellis wrote:
    “If I donate a dollar at St. Mary’s this weekend, should I resign from my job? Am I a bigot because I donated to the Catholic Church or the Mormon Church?? Should I tell the bell ringer or the kids from scouting that I can’t contribute to their bigotry.”

Ellis:
    Except for the resign part.
    Find a charity that doesn’t discriminate, give money to them. No popcorn to Cub Scouts / Boy Scouts, but cookies from Girl Scouts are fine.

If the charity actively tried to prevent Jews from, say, being allowed to take the day off on their holidays, would you donate to that? Would you support their volunteers?

31. JohnInManhattan says

RANDY is a VP at Exodus, an organization that promotes “freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ.” Need I say more? OK, I will. The white broad in this pic was his “girlfriend”, Lorraine Durso.

Lorraine teaches courses to “ex-lesbians” on the evils of masturbation. I shit you not. Randy and Lorraine are no longer together. So much for the power of Jesus!

Wayne Besen has been covering these freaks for years. Check out his site:

32. MAJeff says

I love the folks who expect us gay people to embrace people who took intentional action to strip us of our right. They are, as they keep reminding us–and aside from their work to prevent our full inclusion–our friends who care deeply about us.

I wouldn’t invite these assholes into my home for dinner. Why would I want my dollars to support them?

33. John in CA says

A lot of the religious types here and elsewhere are throwing around legal terms like “slander” and “employment discrimination.” But if they’re so convinced that they have a legal case against the protests and boycotts, then let them file a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the protestors. I have no doubt they’d lose.

There’s NO constitutional right that protects an individual from criticism. And boycotting a business over their questionable political contributions DOES NOT violate any federal law.

34. Mike says

How someone can stand up with a straight face and claim that hatred and bigotry is a matter of choice or a right – moral, social, religious or otherwise – is beyond me.

35. says

Wow.

I am helping put together food drives here in Las Vegas. We have an issue.

The food is supposed to go to St. Therese which evidently does good work with the HIV/AIDS community. After reading this i am torn up. We collected the food from gays. The gay orgs in town all have their own food drives.

I’m interested in getting opinions on this. I originally objected to giving any help to any church based organization but relented because hunger is hunger. I read these comments and now I don’t know what to think.

As I myself went through some really rough times I know people need help and actually got food at one point for a friend from St. Therese, so, I know the individuals who work there are not bad people. But, I can’t stand the Catholic church’s views on so many things.

?

36. tjc says

Derek Washington:
    Something to look into is whether your donation is funding a CHURCH or a separate non-profit arm. It’s possible the non-profit group DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE in hiring practices and administration of its services, especially if they’re in one of the few states where GLB (and rarely) T discrimination is banned.

If the Church itself is collecting and distributing food, you could ask the higher-up what would happen to a gay couple / person who needed help.

However, if you can find a secular organization or one that’s associated w/ a non-discriminating church or congregation, I personally suggest using one of those if possible.

I think there’s a difference between a donation of money or goods to help a particular charitable cause (eg, local food bank) that’s known not to discriminate in disbursements, and a donation of money or services to help a particular church (eg, Catholic church) or a discriminating organization (eg, BSA) even if it then does the charitable work (eg, Eagle Scout projects).

That is to say, I can see the good done by the Catholic Church in the world. I can also see the harm, and consider that their harm outweighs their good.

37. joeinsf says

an ignorant bigot maybe, but still a bigot.

how would Raddon feel if gay people were donating for a proposition that took away some of the civil rights of mormons? Raddon and others have to take responsibility for their actions and not blindly follow the dictates of their churches. Actions have consequences.

38. QuintKing says

Andy’s right when he says, “A replacement for this bigot has not been named.”

It really is time to stand up and call things for what they are. Prop 8 is about religion and gays clashing again. Over our right to exist in peace without the interference of the chuchie set. Ask yourself what an ardent Prop 8 supporter might want us to do with our lives. Not marry, of course. But it’s a lot more than that. They want to live in a world where they can imagine WE DO NOT EVEN EXIST. That’s what they are fighting for. Not for marriage but for us to disappear so they don’t have difficult thoughts in their minds.

39. Marc says

I find it incomprehensible how large a percentage of Mormons try to deflect criticism and review of their contributions to Prop 8 passage as singling them out when a vast number of the people that we’ve seen who had contributed to its passage are in fact Mormons.

40. says

He can have any religious views he wants, but when he helps fund efforts to take away civil rights from any group of people, all bets are off.

Fuck you, Mormon boy. Don’t let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

41. says

DEREK WASHINGTON,

Give them the food. Help all you can. There can be no better thing for this whole movement in my opinion, than gays – and not the churches – demonstrating that we can follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

42. Michael Bedwell says

ATTENTION: I am starting a program called EX Gay Bashers. We don’t hate the sinners, just their sin. We can’t guarantee they will stop hating gays but we can teach them to stop ACTING UPON IT. Can’t change their thoughts but we CAN change their BEHAVIOR.

And I need YOUR help with our scholarship program. But this is one scholarship program that you don’t have to send any money. In fact, it SAVES you money!

For instance, if you’re someone who typically attends the LA Film Festival, PLEASE STOP until their board stops doing the Good German Jive; stops wanting to make US feel guilty for demanding that religious bigots stop FORCING their beliefs on others. See, that way you’re not just saving money but SUPPORTING separation of Church & State.

Also: BOYCOTT Sundance or anything else held in American Taliban City er Utah.

And if you live in one of the following cities, participate in the rallys below organized by Cleve Jones and Lance “Milk” Black to protest the Hyatt Corporation’s refusal to denounce Doug Manchester who owns the country’s second largest Hyatt hotel, San Diego’s Manchester Grand Hyatt, and gave $125,000 to put Proposition H8TE on the ballot.

Saturday, December 6, 12 Noon Local Time

Hyatt Global Corporation, 71 South Wacker, Chicago 60606

Manchester Grand Hyatt, One Market Place, San Diego 92101

Hyatt Regency Houston, 1200 Louisiana, 77002

Grand Hyatt Washington, DC, 1000 H Street, 20001

Grand Hyatt Seattle, 721 Pine Street, 98101

Hyatt Regency Sacramento, 1209 L Street, 95814

Thank you.

43. noah says

Not to pick on the Mormons but as a point of fact: the Mormons believed that brown as well as black skinned people were cursed. Native Americans are referenced in the Book of Mormon specifically as cursed:

“Alma 3: 6- ‘And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.'”

The Mormon term for Native Americans is “Lamanite.” The Mormons believe that Native Americans are Jews who were cursed.

As for martyrdom, it’s all in the eye of the religious adherent. One religion’s martyrs is another’s jihadist terrorist. Right? Seventy-two virgins await Mr. Raddon, no doubt! I’m sure Mr. Raddon will find employment with Kirk Cameron, David Zucker, and the rest of the Hollywood Legion of Conservative Doom.

44. daisy says

randy, tell ya what, peanut dick… let’s invalidate all hetero marriages. that way, y’all can live together and just CALL it a marriage. fulfilling ain’t it? grow up.

45. paul c says

Apparently hypocritical bigotry and witch hunts directed at religious miorities are far more acceptable than hypocritical bigotry and witch hunts directed at racial minorities who share the same views.

Fascism must very “in” this year around WeHo.

46. Chris R says

Just because he does not share your beliefs you call him a bigot?! Just like how you ridiculed the other candidates and their supporters in the previous election because they’re not for Obama. I’ve always considered this blog as a source of intelligent information about the gay community..now i think it’s just becoming so politicized its getting really dumb.

47. says

“How is this shit different than when one of us loses our job because someone is offended by what we stand for?”

“This shit” is different because he didn’t just “stand for” something or “not share” our beliefs–he actively contributed to taking away our civil rights and to writing discrimination into the constitution. Holding a belief is not the same as acting on a belief to deprive people of equality. None of us is working to deprive Mormons, whatever we may think of their religion, of their right to marry. Perhaps he should have considered the consequences of his actions on the real lives of the gay people he must have come in contact with in his job. Whatever your private religious beliefs, when you work to make some of your colleagues second class citizens in a secular society, you need to be ready to accept the consequences of your public bigotry.

48. peterparker says

PAUL C: No one demanded Raddon’s resignation/firing because of what he believes nor because of what he “stands for”. We organized against him because he actively worked to strip us of our civil rights.

And we organized against/protested the Mormon Church and its adherents because their financial support (which was traceable) of Prop 8 dwarfed the support of any other group. Indeed they made Prop 8 possible.

You need to grow a set and stop apologizing for enemies of our community who work to oppress us.

49. DhaniDarko says

He wasn’t fired. He resigned to avoid a boycott. Just like he can make choices about voting to take away the rights of a minority group he isn’t a part of, gay people in the entertainment capital of the world can make choices about where to spend their money.

When I thought about Raddon’s plight I cried two tears in a bucket and said fuck it…

50. Jeffrey says

To Bill Condon and the other apologists for bigotry–If Raddon no longer has his job, he can always get another one. Maybe in a place where his religious bigotry is more accepted. But if this prop 8 foolishness is upheld and is forever written into the constitution and my marriage is invalidated, I CAN’T GET ANOTHER MARRIAGE.
    And some of you think I am wrong to fight back. Fuck you.

51. Ted says

“another one bites the dust”.

The boycott and related activities are working, boys. Let’s keep it up!

Be sure to check out the new HRC Buying Guide, just in time for the holidays. Use you wallet as well as your voice.

52. Rey says

These bigots’ votes are personal and private and should remain so.

But giving money to a political fund is public record, and people should be ready to accept that their contributions may not be so good for their business. Why would I want to support a person or company who uses the money s/he makes from me to fund a cause that seeks to screw with my life?

But I have a larger problem with is his assertion that he notes passively that he “gave through the church”. What does that mean? His church was raising the funds? I do hope the IRS is reading.

53. paul c says

The same people who are going after individuals who hold different political beliefs than they do are simply fascists.

If you people weren’t gay, you would be right up there supporting Bush/Cheney and half of you would probably rush to join the Westboro wackos.

PeterParker: There are religious fanatics of all stripes and colors (though as I said, it’s obvious that it’s much easier and more fashionably P.C. to go after one small group) who voted for Prop 8 and after the slightest bit of backlash against gays for calling out non-Mormons (blacks in particular), the (wrongminded) attacks against those others stopped. People who prefer to single out the smallest and safest minority group to intimidate, while ignoring groups that voted in MUCH larger numbers, are the ones who need to “grow a set”.

Or better yet, stop attacking other people for their views and use your mind and intelligence to impress upon them in a positive and constructive manner where you are coming from. Intimidation tactics are for those who are either lacking in a legitimate case to present or those who are too ignorant to be able to do so effectively.

54. Rey says

Paul C: “You people”?

Shut the fuck up, you ignorant slut.

We’re quite tired of this point of sitting politely and patiently explaining why we as a group shouldn’t be treated like shit.

So if you want to continue to go against respecting the rights of gay people to live and form solid relationships, prepare to be attacked like you’ve never been attacked before.

Please excuse my ignorance in not being able to present my case legitimately or effectively. Pud.

55. says

“Ernie: Your explanation is hypocrisy. Reverse the roles and imagine that religious fanatics are finding the names and addresses of certain people who were anti-prop 8. Imagine that they were publicizing this information and inviting harrassment and intimidation against us. Can you seriously not see how fucked up that would be?”

My explanation is hardly hypocrisy, Paul C. Religious fanatics are free to find the names of No on 8 contributors, free to publicize them, and free to boycott No on 8 businesses etc. It’s all part of the public record. (Do you think they’re not doing it because they’re noble?) The difference is No on 8 contributers were not putting $ towards hurting other people or depriving other people of rights. Can you “seriously” not make that distinction or are you too busy defending bigots? Yes on 8 contributors were working to make sure you can’t marry the man you love (assuming you’re actually gay). No on 8 contributors were working to protect the constitution and prevent discrimination for all. We were not affecting their lives in the slightest, so why would they have cause to seek us out for so-called harassment?

“Or better yet, stop attacking other people for their views and use your mind and intelligence to impress upon them in a positive and constructive manner where you are coming from.”

Some of have been working at a grassroots level for years to do precisely that. And people are not being attacked for “their views.” I don’t care if someone disapproves of my right to marry. But if they work to prevent that right, we have every right not to do business with them and to call attention to their active bigotry.

Finally, the Mormons were a primary power and money base behind Prop 8. They are not “one small group.” But you’re free to boycott whomever you please in a democracy, so if you want to go after your fellow gay men or black business owners, no one’s stopping you.

56. says

From the OED:

Bigot: 2. A person obstinately and unreasonably wedded to a particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual.

Raddon: obstinate? check — he hasn’t considered changing his “opinion.”
    unreasonable? check — his “opinion” is not based on reason, but on blind faith.
    particular religious creed, opinion, or ritual? check, he’s a Mormon.

The No on 8 people, on the other hand, are both reason-based and not tied to any particular religious creed.

There is no hypocrisy or interchangeability between the two sides, and only one side is bigoted.

57. Chris M says

$1500 … it’s not like he threw a few coins in the Salvation Army bucket. A contribution of $1500 from a single contributor sends a very loud and very clear bigotted message. He didn’t lose his job he gave it away and will most likely be offered a new job by a fellow bigot before Monday morning.