California | Film | Gay Marriage | Los Angeles | Mormon | News | Proposition 8

L.A. Film Fest Director Raddon Resigns Over Prop 8 Donation

Los Angeles Film Festival director Richard Raddon, a "devout" Mormon, has resigned from his position following revelations that he donated $1,500 to the campaign to write discrimination into California's constitution, Variety reports:

Raddon"After bloggers published his name, culled from public records of donors, Raddon tendered his first resignation on Nov. 13 to Film Independent's board of directors. It was not accepted, and Film Independent released a statement saying, 'Our organization does not police the personal, religious or political choices of any employee, member or filmmaker.' Yet Internet message boards and other published reports kept the issue at the center of a growing protest movement that has targeted 'Yes on 8' donors including the Mormon Church and Cinemark Theaters, whose CEO was a contributor. On Monday, Raddon submitted a second resignation. Those close to the org described Monday's conference call with the board of directors as emotional. While Raddon's contribution had caused some internal angst, he was well liked within the org. On Tuesday, Film Independent issued a statement saying, 'With great reluctance, Film Independent has accepted Richard Raddon's resignation. Rich's service to the independent film community and to Film Independent has been nothing less than extraordinary. He has always shown complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure.'"

A replacement for this bigot has not been named.

Comments

1. Screw you, Yoshi. It's gay Uncle Toms like you who keep us in the position of getting shit on by people like Raddon.

Posted by: Andy | Nov 26, 2008 11:27:44 AM

2. He resigned out of shame as so many others are doing...

Posted by: Kelly | Nov 26, 2008 11:30:50 AM

3. Discrimination against minorities is not compatible with democracy which does not only include rule of majority, but also protection of minorities/indivuals. So if you support Prop. 8, you're an enemry of democracy.

So why shouldn't you lose your job?

Posted by: Chris | Nov 26, 2008 11:33:21 AM

4. So he showed "complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure". And that includes financing the ballot measure that took away our right to marry. Then it must be said that the LA Film Festival is anti-gay. Guess we should still boycott them if that's how they feel.

Posted by: Bertha Vanation | Nov 26, 2008 11:33:26 AM

5. So he showed "complete commitment to our core principles of equality and diversity during his long tenure". And that includes financing the ballot measure that took away our right to marry. Then it must be said that the LA Film Festival is anti-gay. Guess we should still boycott them if that's how they feel.

Posted by: Bertha Vanation | Nov 26, 2008 11:35:08 AM

6. Andy is absolutely right to call Raddon a bigot. Raddon actually tagged himself through his own actions. These people who stab us in the back then claim to be clueless about what it means make me sick. Thank god the names of these people were brought to light.

Posted by: daisy | Nov 26, 2008 11:37:51 AM

7. He gave to a cause, he exercised his rights ... but was taunted, harassed, slandered, attacked personally and viciously ... he treated people with respect at his work but on the one issue of marriage ... you try to ruin his life?

Gay couples can still live together, call their unions marriages, work, assemble, speak pretty much live their lives as usual. Sure there is a legitimate issue to discuss on the Government recognition of marriage but the only "lives" I see being ruined are those who dare to oppose your legislative goals.

... and you are calling him the bigot?

Posted by: Randy | Nov 26, 2008 11:41:45 AM

8. I wouldn't want to work with that fucking creep. All smiles and friendliness while he thinks, "Faggot!"

Posted by: homer | Nov 26, 2008 11:42:34 AM

9. Another gutless bigot takes the easy way out. What's up with these people? Have they no courage in their convictions at all?

Posted by: Roscoe | Nov 26, 2008 11:42:58 AM

10. "...preaching for almost 150 years that African Americans are CURSED..."

It's true, WAYNE, I haven't had a good day since 1977.

"...literally struck them black because of their sinful nature."

Good old fashioned penis envy.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 26, 2008 11:44:23 AM

11. Raddon is no martyr. Martyrs stand firm in their beliefs, no matter the consequences, and suffer terribly. Raddon is a gutless coward who is taking the easy way out. Has he no courage at all? Harvey Milk stood taller for his beliefs than this loser his standing for his own religion.

Posted by: Roscoe | Nov 26, 2008 11:50:51 AM

12. The only good thing this guy has done is resign.

He did not "lose" his job - he resigned.

Hey if you're going to workin in an industry with alot of the people you're going to affect and contribute to anything that is public and going to be controversial, you should have the intestinal fortitude to face your critics. He could have continued trying to do his job and worked through it - he chose not to do so.

Sayonara asshole.

Posted by: Kyle | Nov 26, 2008 11:59:42 AM

13. Well said, Andy, it's time these unreconstructed bigots suffered the consequences of their self-serving mediocrity.

Posted by: RickT | Nov 26, 2008 12:03:52 PM

14. Randy:

... and you are calling him the bigot?

If he had given to a cause to strip rights away from Jews or Blacks or Women would you feel the same way? If he said he did it from his relgious beliefs would you feel the same way? Yes, he has a right, just like the KKK has a right to free speech. But we in turn have a right to be outraged.

It is continuing to floor me how acceptable and apologetic mainstream America is with homophobia. It is as unacceptable as racism, xenophobia, censorship, anti-Semitism or sexism. Sure, someone can have religious views about it . . . but I would want the majority of people to see that relgiously sanctioned homophobia is on par with any sort of relgiously sanctioned bigotry. It has no place in our secular government.

Lastly, I just watched a wonderful documentary called Tying the Knot, which I suggest you check out from Netflix or your rental place of choice. I think it explains more than I or anyone else can here the difference between civil unions and marriage. There is a difference. As long as gays are excluded from the institution of marriage we are not equal in the eyes of the law. There are 1,000+ federal rights granted by marriage that are not granted by civil unions or domestic partnerships.

No one is stopping Mr. Raddon from going to temple or wearing his magic underpants. That is his right. But it is our right and the rights of the artists involved with this film festival to express their displeasure at his contribution to strike down equality. As a playwright, if I knew a theater had a bigoted artistic director who was producing my work, I would feel VERY uncomfortable about it and I would not keep quiet.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 26, 2008 12:14:21 PM

15. I didn't know professional pray-away-the-gay RANDY THOMAS aka RANDY (above) is a Towleroad reader. Randy, you naughty boy, looking at a site with homosexual tendencies... tsk tsk. Does Alan Chambers know what you've been doing?

Pam has all the dirt on tubby Thomas here:

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Nov 26, 2008 12:15:44 PM

16. Fuck you, YOSHI! Andy has never shown himself to be a bigot. Pointing out that someone has voted for or donated to a movement to take away our rights and then calling that person makes one a REALIST, not a bigot! (And thank you, Andy, for keeping us informed.)

And RANDY has a blog in which his 'network' is listed as Exodus International...another self-loathing faggot who probably voted for Bush, twice.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 26, 2008 12:19:43 PM

17. Ellis wrote:
    "If I donate a dollar at St. Mary's this weekend, should I resign from my job? Am I a bigot because I donated to the Catholic Church or the Mormon Church?? Should I tell the bell ringer or the kids from scouting that I can't contribute to their bigotry."

Ellis:
    Except for the resign part.
    Find a charity that doesn't discriminate, give money to them. No popcorn to Cub Scouts / Boy Scouts, but cookies from Girl Scouts are fine.

If the charity actively tried to prevent Jews from, say, being allowed to take the day off on their holidays, would you donate to that? Would you support their volunteers?

Posted by: tjc | Nov 26, 2008 12:22:33 PM

18. RANDY is a VP at Exodus, an organization that promotes "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ." Need I say more? OK, I will. The white broad in this pic was his "girlfriend", Lorraine Durso.

Lorraine teaches courses to "ex-lesbians" on the evils of masturbation. I shit you not. Randy and Lorraine are no longer together. So much for the power of Jesus!

Wayne Besen has been covering these freaks for years. Check out his site:

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Nov 26, 2008 12:30:55 PM

19. I love the folks who expect us gay people to embrace people who took intentional action to strip us of our right. They are, as they keep reminding us--and aside from their work to prevent our full inclusion--our friends who care deeply about us.

I wouldn't invite these assholes into my home for dinner. Why would I want my dollars to support them?

Posted by: MAJeff | Nov 26, 2008 12:31:27 PM

20. A lot of the religious types here and elsewhere are throwing around legal terms like "slander" and "employment discrimination." But if they're so convinced that they have a legal case against the protests and boycotts, then let them file a lawsuit in U.S. District Court against the protestors. I have no doubt they'd lose.

There's NO constitutional right that protects an individual from criticism. And boycotting a business over their questionable political contributions DOES NOT violate any federal law.

Posted by: John in CA | Nov 26, 2008 12:34:05 PM

21. How someone can stand up with a straight face and claim that hatred and bigotry is a matter of choice or a right - moral, social, religious or otherwise - is beyond me.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 26, 2008 12:34:36 PM

22. Wow.

I am helping put together food drives here in Las Vegas. We have an issue.

The food is supposed to go to St. Therese which evidently does good work with the HIV/AIDS community. After reading this i am torn up. We collected the food from gays. The gay orgs in town all have their own food drives.

I'm interested in getting opinions on this. I originally objected to giving any help to any church based organization but relented because hunger is hunger. I read these comments and now I don't know what to think.

As I myself went through some really rough times I know people need help and actually got food at one point for a friend from St. Therese, so, I know the individuals who work there are not bad people. But, I can't stand the Catholic church's views on so many things.

?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Nov 26, 2008 12:40:51 PM

23. Derek Washington:
    Something to look into is whether your donation is funding a CHURCH or a separate non-profit arm. It's possible the non-profit group DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE in hiring practices and administration of its services, especially if they're in one of the few states where GLB (and rarely) T discrimination is banned.

If the Church itself is collecting and distributing food, you could ask the higher-up what would happen to a gay couple / person who needed help.

However, if you can find a secular organization or one that's associated w/ a non-discriminating church or congregation, I personally suggest using one of those if possible.

I think there's a difference between a donation of money or goods to help a particular charitable cause (eg, local food bank) that's known not to discriminate in disbursements, and a donation of money or services to help a particular church (eg, Catholic church) or a discriminating organization (eg, BSA) even if it then does the charitable work (eg, Eagle Scout projects).

That is to say, I can see the good done by the Catholic Church in the world. I can also see the harm, and consider that their harm outweighs their good.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 26, 2008 1:01:13 PM

24. an ignorant bigot maybe, but still a bigot.

how would Raddon feel if gay people were donating for a proposition that took away some of the civil rights of mormons? Raddon and others have to take responsibility for their actions and not blindly follow the dictates of their churches. Actions have consequences.

Posted by: joeinsf | Nov 26, 2008 1:11:01 PM

25. Andy's right when he says, "A replacement for this bigot has not been named."

It really is time to stand up and call things for what they are. Prop 8 is about religion and gays clashing again. Over our right to exist in peace without the interference of the chuchie set. Ask yourself what an ardent Prop 8 supporter might want us to do with our lives. Not marry, of course. But it's a lot more than that. They want to live in a world where they can imagine WE DO NOT EVEN EXIST. That's what they are fighting for. Not for marriage but for us to disappear so they don't have difficult thoughts in their minds.

Posted by: QuintKing | Nov 26, 2008 1:22:37 PM