Anderson Cooper | California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

Tony Perkins Claims Gays are Rioting Over Prop 8

Perkins_bloom

Anderson Cooper talks about Proposition 8 with my new hero Lisa Bloom, who is a lawyer and TV host and the daughter of Gloria Allred, and Tony Perkins, the well-known religious right wingnut and president of the Family Research Council. Perkins claims that the gays are rioting over Prop. 8.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Rioting, bitch?

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Posted by: Webster | Nov 10, 2008 5:39:45 PM

2. I think I love you, Lisa. Well done, you!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 10, 2008 5:42:34 PM

3. i'm with you Andy.

i <3 me some Lisa Bloom. she pwned him.

Posted by: buzz | Nov 10, 2008 5:46:18 PM

4. You know what chaps my ass? Is the fact that this douchenozzle uses people's ignorance to history as a weapon. He said that we should not allow gay marriage because it is 5000 year old unchanged institution. Right. Women were treated like chattel up until the early 1900's. Rarely did women have a choice in their spouse. Also, as Lisa and Silver Fox pointed out, when white racism against blacks was envogue, it was stated that marriage would rot and fall apart if the races were allowed to unite. Also, civil unions do NOT come with equal rights...all I gotta say is where are the FEDERAL TAX BENEFITS and INS equality if they are so effing equal??

Posted by: ERB | Nov 10, 2008 5:51:10 PM

5. God, I hope someone puts a bullet through that closet case's head.

Posted by: Jason (A) | Nov 10, 2008 5:53:40 PM

6. Please remind people about the NY rally on Wed. night

Posted by: Jason | Nov 10, 2008 5:54:20 PM

7. Please remind people about the NY rally on Wed. night

Posted by: Jason | Nov 10, 2008 5:55:05 PM

8. I'm in love with Lisa Bloom! That's it, boys, I'm switching teams and marrying into the Allred family, which may now be easier to do since my current marriage hangs in the balance.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 10, 2008 5:55:21 PM

9. I *love* her!!!!!!!

However, I must point out that this is not about respect, dignity, etc... It is about having the same legal protections as the rest of America. Civil unions and domestic partnerships do NOT provide the same rights. Neither are they portable to other districts/cities/states in the same way that marriage is.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 10, 2008 6:01:42 PM

10. Rioting?!? Really? And the problem is?

Posted by: Keith | Nov 10, 2008 6:06:24 PM

11. Can we please, please, please refrain from incitement to violence in the comments? Joe.My.God's blog was being monitored last week. It does nothing for our cause and just gives us bad press.

Posted by: Sami | Nov 10, 2008 6:09:26 PM

12. I agree with SAMI. Right now, we are peaceful, and the number of protesters is becoming greater and greater. You will not get moderates on our side with threats of violence or rioting. The more we show the parallels of LGBT's plight to that of other minorities, the better off we are. Let the radicals be the ones protesting funerals of the soldiers who died for our country with signs saying "God Hates Fags". The LGBT community is and should remain above the fray.

Posted by: ERB | Nov 10, 2008 6:14:02 PM

13. You just know that Tony Perkins is one of those girls who go home change into a little black dress, conservative pearls and go riding around town looking for someone to blow.

You can see it in his eyes.

Posted by: Br!on | Nov 10, 2008 6:18:13 PM

14. So glad they had Lisa Bloom on. She's smart and can articulate our case with ease. She does a much better job than some of the gay commentators who get invited on TV show. Very glad she's on our side!

Posted by: Gregus | Nov 10, 2008 6:19:19 PM

15. She ate his lunch.

Posted by: mcQLA | Nov 10, 2008 6:21:52 PM

16. Face of a sad old closet queen... like Ralph Reed.
    RE: the history of marriage, an illuminating read: "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" (Random house/Villard, 1994) by eminent Yale historian John Boswell. Same-sex unions were blessed by the church until the 14th century. And marriage wasn't a sacrament.
    This whole Christian family values thing is a modern invention. These people are so ignorant. They have to erase history to try to support their agenda.

Posted by: Hank | Nov 10, 2008 6:38:11 PM

17. Face of a sad old closet queen... like Ralph Reed.

Posted by: Hank | Nov 10, 2008 6:39:33 PM

18. Tony Perkins needs to STFU and read about state law and civil rights. This happened to African-American's and the courts stepped in and over turned that legalized bigotry. Now it's happening to homosexuals (which is NOT a choice, get real). I LOVE Lisa Bloom, good on her! Civil union "scheme" Perkins?! Really?! It's "not discrimination"??? Protecting a 5,000 year old institution? Not really, the Church didn't recognize marriage until 400-500 years ago, seems Perkins needs to focus less on his own internalized homosexuality and read a book on history before he opens his ignorant mouth. Sanctity of marriage, bitch please. Let's ask Guilliani who cheated numerous times on his wives, or the Palin family and their pregnant unwed daughter. They can all kiss my gay ass.

Posted by: CJ | Nov 10, 2008 6:40:19 PM

19. Tony Perkins needs to STFU and read about state law and civil rights. This happened to African-American's and the courts stepped in and over turned that legalized bigotry. Now it's happening to homosexuals (which is NOT a choice, get real). I LOVE Lisa Bloom, good on her! Civil union "scheme" Perkins?! Really?! It's "not discrimination"??? Protecting a 5,000 year old institution? Not really, the Church didn't recognize marriage until 400-500 years ago, seems Perkins needs to focus less on his own internalized homosexuality and read a book on history before he opens his ignorant mouth. Sanctity of marriage, bitch please. Let's ask Guilliani who cheated numerous times on his wives, or the Palin family and their pregnant unwed daughter. They can all kiss my gay ass.

Posted by: CJ | Nov 10, 2008 6:41:31 PM

20. Tony Perkins needs to STFU and read about state law and civil rights. This happened to African-American's and the courts stepped in and over turned that legalized bigotry. Now it's happening to homosexuals (which is NOT a choice, get real). I LOVE Lisa Bloom, good on her! Civil union "scheme" Perkins?! Really?! It's "not discrimination"??? Protecting a 5,000 year old institution? Not really, the Church didn't recognize marriage until 400-500 years ago, seems Perkins needs to focus less on his own internalized homosexuality and read a book on history before he opens his ignorant mouth. Sanctity of marriage, bitch please. Let's ask Guilliani who cheated numerous times on his wives, or the Palin family and their pregnant unwed daughter. They can all kiss my gay ass.

Posted by: CJ | Nov 10, 2008 6:44:02 PM

21. Oh snap, sorry, Towleroad failed to reload after I confirmed my comment, sorry it loaded three times as I didn't know if it took or not...

Posted by: CJ | Nov 10, 2008 6:58:45 PM

22. WOW She's one sharp tack! STUDY up the "Redefining" argument, it's full of holes. One is that "marriage" in AMERICA is NOT 5000 years old. Stick to that argument, i.e. we're talking about America. "Marriage" has not been defined by anyone group for 5000 years, Perkins is using the Bible as his authority and America is NOT a Theocracy. Keep those 2 simple points in mind.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 10, 2008 7:34:07 PM

23. Lisa is awesome. Anderson needs to bring up the point she mentioned - Why don't we redefine civil marriage to be civil unions for everybody? IF they won't let us have marriage under the law, they shouldn't have it either.

Posted by: DW | Nov 10, 2008 7:40:44 PM

24. When Perkins yaps about marriage being 5,000 years old he is speaking code to the Born-Agsins who believe the earth is 5000-6000 years old. Dumb fuck.

Posted by: homer | Nov 10, 2008 7:41:28 PM

25. "This is Anderson Cooper, reporting from Auschwitz. 5000 more Jews arrived today. Looking dirty, starved, half-frozen, and frightened, camp officals assured me they'd be treated well, though I did see the sick, elderly, and children being herded to a separate line. What? Am I Jewish? Sorry, I never talk about my private life. Tonight on Larry King....."

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 10, 2008 7:54:14 PM