Activism | Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Florida Gov. Crist: Gays Have the Right to Protest My Wedding

Crist_rome

The Tampa Bay Tribune had a recent interview with Florida Governor Charlie Crist, and asked him if he was nervous about getting married, and what he thought of plans by gay activists to picket the wedding because of his endorsement of Florida's Amendment 2, which recently banned same-sex marriage in the state.

Q: Gay rights activists are planning to demonstrate outside your wedding and reception to protest the gay marriage ban that passed in Florida on Nov. 4 after you endorsed it. Your response to them?

A: I really don't have one. They have a First Amendment right to do so.

Q: The big event is only nine days away. Any pre-wedding jitters?

A: No, no jitters. No jitters! No -- I'm ready.

Crist is to marry beard manufacturing heiress Carole Rome on Friday, December 12th. The protest is scheduled to begin at 11am at the First United Methodist Church of St. Petersburg, 212 Third Street North, St. Petersburg, Florida, although the wedding is at 7 pm, so that might change.

A copy of the wedding invitation, AFTER THE JUMP...

Invite

Comments

1. That's a hideous invitation.

Also, they're not protesting your wedding, they are demonstrating the inequalities underscored by its possibility.

Posted by: LD | Dec 5, 2008 9:59:25 AM

2. That is, without a doubt, the ugliest wedding invitation I have ever seen.

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 5, 2008 10:08:57 AM

3. Did they have their wedding invitations made at Kinkos?

Posted by: John M | Dec 5, 2008 10:18:51 AM

4. perhaps this gag factory also features strap-on's?

* as for the invite design, remember we're talking Florida here!

Posted by: hangten | Dec 5, 2008 10:21:13 AM

5. Doesn't anybody else find it ironic that she manufactures beards?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 5, 2008 10:32:00 AM

6. I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about protesting outside his wedding, however much of a beard his soon-to-be-wife may be.

We certainly rail against people who protest our marriages. And we rail against the Phelps clans funeral protests.

Yet he is not just anyone expressing his First Amendment rights. He is the leader of the state, expressing his disdain for a significant portion of Florida - and as a result, possibly further marginalizing the GLBT population - and he ought to be held accountable for that.

Like I said, mixed feelings.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 5, 2008 10:34:28 AM

7. What a tacky invitation. Miss Crist must have gone to a straight wedding planner.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2008 10:40:45 AM

8. At second glance, it looks like a bereavement announcement, which is entirely appropriate.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2008 10:42:48 AM

9. At second glance, it looks like a bereavement announcement, which is entirely appropriate.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2008 10:43:20 AM

10. At second glance, it looks like a bereavement announcement, which is entirely appropriate.

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2008 10:43:24 AM

11. "We certainly rail against people who protest our marriages."

I understand your mixed feelings, Dave, but the difference is we DON'T HAVE marriages to protest. (Except in MA and CT, but at the federal level they still mean squat.) So he may be inconvenienced, but he can still marry (however inappropriately), whereas a gay couple in Florida who's been together a lot longer than Charlie and his beard heiress receive no recognition whatsoever. Momentary inconvenience vs. long-standing discrimination. Hmmm, who's got the raw end of the deal?

And, I agree, that invitation is damn ugly. Maybe he really is straight?

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 5, 2008 11:04:15 AM

12. Yea Christ is ready - he's been eating SUSHI everyday...to prepare for the Honeymoon night of oral sex with the fish.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 5, 2008 11:23:33 AM

13. Crist: "Correction, my FABULOUS wedding..."

Posted by: anon | Dec 5, 2008 11:23:45 AM

14. Protesting at Crist's wedding is the most ill-conceived, stupidest, most conterproductive act I can possibly imagine.

It amazes me that so many people put so little real thought into the negative repercussions of their words and actions.

Use the opportunity to give a press release congratulating the Governor on his marriage and making a thoughtful point about why the joy, happiness and legal protection that this day will afford him and his wife should be available to all Florida citizens.

If we are to make any progress on this issue, we need EVERYONE who favors marriage equality to be more thoughtful and strategic with their protests.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 5, 2008 11:43:37 AM

15. Crawl back in your closet, "Zeke" -- and take the rest of the Log Cabinettes with you.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 5, 2008 12:18:21 PM

16. Zeke: I have to say I am inclined to agree with you. I don't know what format the protest will take. I am hoping it will be respectful. I guess I don't understand why he just cannot be allowed to enjoy his day-- closeted or not. How do folks feel when Fred Phelps protests a funeral? Phelps has the right to do that too, but it is still distasteful.

What about her family and his family? How about their feelings?Now, their wedding day gets "ruined" by protests? And if I were Crist and my wedding was protested, I don't think that would make me more sympathetic to gay people. It would probably just piss me off and make me more opposed to equality.

The protest may make the protesters feel good, but I cannot imagine that many people will look upon it favorably. How many women spend their whole lives looking forward to their wedding day? Can you imagine the horror of having protests at your wedding?

I respect the protesters and what they are trying to do. I just don't think that this is best way to do it.

Posted by: Brandon | Dec 5, 2008 2:34:56 PM

17. It's certainly debatable whether a protest is a good idea or not, but think about what you're saying, Brandon.

"What about her family and his family? How about their feelings?Now, their wedding day gets "ruined" by protests? . . . How many women spend their whole lives looking forward to their wedding day? Can you imagine the horror of having protests at your wedding?"

First of all, I doubt their wedding will be ruined by a few protesters. Second of all, we can't imagine the "horror" because we can't get married! They can. That's the point! To show heterosexuals that what they take for granted is completely off limits to us. So, instead of being so concerned about their feelings, what about the feelings of the gay couple who's been together 20 years and is turned away when they go to get their marriage license? What about the gay person who has no inheritance rights, no power of attorney etc. That's the real horror and ruin here.

Finally, as I said on another thread, Phelps goes after innocent people who have done him zero harm. We are protesting people who have caused us direct harm. There is NO analogy to be drawn between the two.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 5, 2008 5:55:26 PM

18. DAVID E, I voluteered FULL TIME for five months for the No on 2 campaign. In the last month I worked 12 to 14 hours a day 7 days a week fighting this discriminatory amendment. I've been to EVERY protest and planning session since our November 4th loss. I am a man, married to a man raising a child with my husband. This amendment affected me and my family in a VERY personal way. Up until I dedicated full time to the No on 2 campaign I was volunteering weekly for the Obama campaign. I'm a liberal Democrat and card carrying member of the ACLU.

How on earth could you make such an uninformed, rude, offensive and hateful comment to me based on my voiced concern that this protest is ill conceived and will be counterproductive?

I fully support most every aspect of the peaceful protests that have occurred across the country. I participated in a couple of them. Forgive me if I think "crashing" the governor's wedding is not going to be helpful or productive or if I had the audacity to offer what I thought would be a better, more effective option.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 5, 2008 9:48:19 PM

19. Hey Zeke! Any room in your "closet" for me? I think protesting this schmoes wedding is no better than that Phelps nut job at military funerals or gay pride celebrations.

Does no one understand PR?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 5, 2008 10:32:29 PM

20. Well, I certainly wouldn't go to it, but if the beard manufacturer wants to marry him what the hell?

I'll tell you this, though, if there are protesters at his wedding, betcha about 70% of them are protesting him not being as available for sex as he has been in the past.

I betcha the bus station tricks alone make up half that crowd. Might be an interesting protest. Might be the wedding of the year!

Thank you, I'm here all week.

Well, not here, click my name under here, I'm there all week.

Posted by: Joe B. | Dec 5, 2008 11:14:27 PM

21. I'm in San Diego and won't be traveling to Florida to attend this soiree. My outside opinion is that the word protest has many meanings. We can be very creative whenever we put our minds to it, and wedding protests need to be created. Weddings like this one of course, and those where one of the partners is committing "adultery" according to the KJV bible, which limits divorce to 1-2 reasons and says you can't get re-married.

Anyway, using their own nonsense against them, and using unusual and creative forms of protest, we really should be doing this. Only takes one person to show up. The more the merrier!

Posted by: Allan | Dec 6, 2008 4:37:50 AM

22. No reason to limit it to bible believers, there are those doing the same thing as mormons, muslims, etc, too.

Posted by: Allan | Dec 6, 2008 4:43:35 AM

23. "This is just playing into the right wings hands. Let them have their day. They have to live with it if it's fake. It will play out as it plays out. If we do this then we can't be upset when "christians" stand outside of churches and protest our marriages in places where we can get married."

Derek, people aren't protesting Crist's wedding because he may be gay, they're protesting because he supported Amendment 2 and because he, as a real or fake heterosexual, can get married and we can't. How is pointing out this blatant discrimination through peaceful protest in any way similar to what Phelps is doing?

Phelps protests people who have caused him no harm; Crist and all supporters of anti-gay props cause us real harm. Why can't you understand the difference? If, once we have marriage rights, Christians want to protest our weddings, that's their right. But, since they already have the right to marry and are not being deprived of any civil rights by gay people, what is their motive for protesting aside from pure bigotry? They are not remotely equivalent.

Like I said, the wisdom of protesting Crist's wedding is debatable. But those who choose to participate are there for legitimate reasons and are in no way comparable to right wingnuts.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 6, 2008 10:28:20 AM

24. Best wishes to the Florida Gov.

Posted by: Florida Beach Weddings | Dec 6, 2008 6:47:06 PM

25. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to comment on the fact that she is a *beard* manufacturer!

I mean -- com'on.

The cosmic irony is surreal.

Posted by: Chapeau | Dec 7, 2008 1:26:37 AM