Democratic Party | Gay Marriage | Malcolm Smith | New York | News

NY Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. Clarifies Threatening Statements

In a post on Room Eight, Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. clarifies the "threats" he made to the gay community in a report earlier this week to the NYDN's Elizabeth Benjamin:

Diazsr"I told Liz Smith Benjamin that the gay community has been jamming my office phone line and making threats to me and my staff. I told her that I am very angry that my office has received phone calls threatening my life and calling the women on my staff 'whores' and 'bitches'. I told her that to add to those names, Ed Koch called us rats...I told Liz that the only rat is Ed Koch. I told her that when he was Mayor and was rejected in my community, the only person who stood by him was this rat, and that now this rat is good no more. I told her that I am so angry that because of their calls and editorial boards and because of the insulting Koch statement, there is nothing else that they can do to us or say to us, and that they will see what we can do...That, my friends, was the basis of my anger, not because the gay community is jamming my phone lines. I am an elected official and I am an old man, and they can do this any time. It was the content of their calls that made me angry. I welcome people to call my office – but with respect to me and to my staff...When I told Liz that they will see what we can do, this was not at all meant to be a physical threat. As far as what we can do, we have many options, which include: going to the Republican Party, staying neutral to create an impasse, or going to the Democratic Party."

Previously
NY Senator Diaz Sr. Issues Threat to Gays as Dem Deal Breaks Down [tr]

Background
NY's Gov Paterson: From 'Hands-On' to 'Hands-Off' on Gay Marriage [tr]
NY Gay Leaders Await Answers on Marriage Element of Dem Deal [tr]
New York Democrats Strike Deal; Same-Sex Marriage Vote Tossed [tr]
A Thanksgiving Thaw for New York Democrats? [tr]
'Rogue' NY Senate Democrats Use 'Gay Marriage' as Bargaining Chip [tr]

Comments

1. What a crock of bulls***.

Like gay men call women "ho's" and "bitches".

Posted by: Wolfie | Dec 12, 2008 9:23:11 PM

2. The "rat" is of course gay.

Come out, Ed. It's never too late.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 12, 2008 9:27:52 PM

3. The fact that New Yorkers are putting up with this fucker is beyond me....get out and fight for your rights NY....

Posted by: Rick | Dec 12, 2008 9:43:04 PM

4. Stop the lame threats - go become a Republican! We'll see how that helps your reelection chances in 2 years, buddy. I'm sure the people of your district will love voting for a Republican...

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 12, 2008 10:07:35 PM

5. What a total asshole. Lets' show what WE can do...and vote the bigot out of office. That's not a threat. It's a promise.

Posted by: russ thacker | Dec 12, 2008 10:38:23 PM

6. I think that is totally bogus. I was more than nice when I called and his staff was nasty and angry. Please go to the Republicans, it will be easier to get you out of office!

Posted by: Dale | Dec 12, 2008 11:18:16 PM

7. I, too, was extremely polite (yet firm) when I called Diaz's office (I think I even told the lady I spoke with to "have a good day"!)

The man is a self-interested bully --a total "Mini Lieberman" who clearly puts his own pettiness above the needs of his constituents. With all the hate-mongering, name-calling and threats, he really is more suited to the GOP.

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 13, 2008 7:27:15 AM

8. i'm a little confused [it sometime happens], but isn't Mr. Diaz crying about something that his followers, constituents, or whatever you want to call them regularly do themselves when it comes to people with whom they have a distaste and phobia? like LGBTQ? or non-christians?

and second, couldn't what he and the other two members of the "gang of three" [how Maoist] did be considered political extortion?

there is a myriad of old cliches that can be used at his response, especially the one that starts, "you can dish it out, but..."

how is it that these people whine at the slimmest of excuses when those they attack have the thicker skins?

just asking...

Posted by: mike/ | Dec 13, 2008 8:22:10 AM

9. EVERYBODY

Call and write this old fucker....OFTEN! Drive him over the edge, around the bend, and out of office.

He needs to go.

Posted by: Hdtex | Dec 13, 2008 9:09:31 AM

10. As a Latin-American gay man, I'm disgusted with Diaz. As he has stated "he is an old man" representing an old world of acceptable bigotry. He NEEDS to GO!

here is his contact info:
    Tel: (718) 991-3161
    Tel: (518) 455-2511
    diaz@senate.state.ny.us

xo
    Rants, Thoughts & Merde

Posted by: NativeNYker | Dec 13, 2008 11:18:47 AM

11. I just left a VERY respectful msg. I hope everyone here does and it jams up his system by Monday.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 13, 2008 2:20:08 PM

12. Where are the New York gay activists?

Thank you, we in California appreciate your support with Prop 8. But you guys/gals need to kick butt and start fighting for your rights. And do it proactively. We the gay community can get so complacent that anytime we "fight" politically is when we are being attacked. NOW is the time to be proactive and attack those who are denying your rights in NY. This Diaz jerk needs to be picketed and more. DON'T STOP THE PHONE CALLS!

Come on new generation of gays in New York.

FIGHT BACK!

Posted by: FunMe | Dec 13, 2008 3:40:12 PM

13. I called Ruben Diaz' office and identified myself by name and that I was a gay man calling to protest Sen. Diaz' attempt to negotiate my civil rights away. I was told the following:

"Listen all you faggots! Stop calling this office all of you perverts! Sen. Diaz is a good Christian man! You will burn in hell! Stop calling us 'cause it won't matter! Sen. Diaz will never let any homosexual get married in New York. That's all I have to say!" Click.

All this was said in a rather LOUD manner. I sort of sat there and said, "OK.... "

I called back but the line was busy. I tried again several times but never did get through again. Must have been a fluke, but an interesting one at that.

Ruben Diaz is an asshole.

Posted by: mike | Dec 13, 2008 4:42:01 PM

14. Alas. This "leader" could have re-stated his case, re-righted his ship, or re-framed the debate. But he is unworthy of the term "politician" except when it is a smear, and then it fits only too well. No regrets, my brethren. It's not like we're losing the cure for cancer here. Vaya con Dios. We must move on and marvel that we got out so cheaply.

Posted by: BoredInBiloxi | Dec 13, 2008 7:42:10 PM

15. I seriously doubt that callers are calling Diaz's staff "bitches" and "whores". This sounds to me like a classic case of projection where a politician who doesn't want to address his constituents concerns paints said constituent as a foul-mouthed low-life.

Sorry Mr. Diaz, but your time is swiftly ending. Good riddance.

Posted by: Tread | Dec 13, 2008 9:05:07 PM

16. Yikes, he's so mad I hope he doesn't resign. It would be such a loss to.... uh... umm.....can someone help... uhhh.

Posted by: zeke | Dec 14, 2008 1:04:53 AM

17. Leave then, Old Man. Or go to the Repugs, one less bigotted asshole in the DNC.

Posted by: kevinm | Dec 14, 2008 10:51:39 AM

18. Leave then, Old Man. Or go to the Repugs, one less bigotted asshole in the DNC.

Posted by: kevinm | Dec 14, 2008 10:52:11 AM

19. "I am an old man"

And this is the key. When he retires he will be replaced by someone who doesn't understand why we should discriminate against gay people. His ideas are outdated and will only become more so.

Posted by: RedCedar | Dec 14, 2008 12:37:32 PM

20. He forgot the obvious option: stop being an anti-gay bigot. But of course, that doesn't seem to come to mind.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Dec 14, 2008 2:21:15 PM

21. I called Ruben Diaz' office and identified myself by name and that I was a gay man calling to protest Sen. Diaz' attempt to negotiate my civil rights away. I was told the following:

WOW THATS DISGUSTING. WE SHOULD ALL CALL AGAIN AND TAPE WHAT THE REPLIES FROM THE OFFICE ARE. IF THEY ARE NASTY IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT NEWS STORY AND REALLY SCREW WITH HIM!!!

Posted by: Wolfie | Dec 15, 2008 8:17:15 AM

22. Is there a recall or impeachment process for NYS Senators? If so, how do we start?

Posted by: Tredm | Dec 15, 2008 8:46:58 AM

23. Well, Mr. Diaz, you want to go to the Republican party? Go ahead. Just remember to pay back every cent the Democratic Party and its donors gave you in 2007 and 2008 so you could run for this term.

See how far you get as a Republican in Brooklyn. The Dems will find someone who can beat you around the block in the next election cycle.

Posted by: Mother | Dec 15, 2008 2:42:31 PM

24. you speak notning but the truth, MOTHER.

Posted by: nic | Dec 15, 2008 4:11:21 PM

25. A fun factoid for your communications with Sen. Diaz:

If we accept the population numbers on New York's Wikipedia article and estimate the gay population at 5%, there are more gays in New York State than there are congregants of the United Methodist Church, American Baptist Churches USA and Episcopal Church combined!

Posted by: Dave | Dec 16, 2008 5:15:16 AM