News | Ricky Martin

BigGayDeal.com

Ricky Martin Shows Off His Twin Boys Valentino and Matteo

Rickymartin

Martin, who had the boys via a surrogate mother, tells People: "I don't have a nanny. I'm doing this on my own because I don't want to miss a moment. I have a personal assistant who helps me, someone who takes care of me while I'm taking care of them, but I'm the one who changes the diapers, the one that feeds them, the one that bathes them, the one that puts them to sleep. For any parent, the first couple of months tend to get a little bit intense...Adoption was one option, but it's complicated and can take a long time. Surrogacy was an intriguing and faster option. I thought, 'I'm going to jump into this with no fear.'...I love to read books to my sons and tell them stories. I play music for them so they develop their own personalities. I want to give them information and raise them with honesty and love, and give them self-esteem and a lot of acceptance."

Previously
Ricky Martin Buys His Own Island [tr]
Ricky Martin Gives Naked Thrill in Hotel Sauna [tr]
Ricky Martin Shows Puerto Rico What He's Made Of [tr]
Ricky Martin Outed by Hollywood Skincare Guru Ole Henriksen? [tr]

<Rm

Comments

1. What an adorable picture! Congratulations to Ricky and his boys.

And I have never read such a bitter string of posts. Get off your high horses, bitches. I mean, seriously, what's left about PM to 'out'?

Posted by: kimmer | Dec 10, 2008 5:11:30 PM

2. Ricky's hands compared to their bodies means that it's like they are sitting down. He's not holding them by the balls but supporting their entire butts. And if you want to go off about someone raising kids look at your own or your relatives who have f*d up issues.

I think Ricky is amazing as a parent and a gay man. Some people are just private. If I were straight I would never talk about my family with anyone other than family because that's how I am. Leave the man alone and stop being jealous and hating your own lives.

Posted by: StopItHaters | Dec 10, 2008 5:54:16 PM

3. Congrats to Ricky—the three of them look adorable. I hope he has someone to co-parent with so that it's not all on him. I know it helps keep me sane to have a partner in the parenting odyssey.

As for surrogacy vs. adoption, I'm a BIG fan of adoption. There are so many kids waiting for a good, stable, nurturing home. But I'd also have to agree that adoption is complicated in almost every case, and sometimes more so if you're gay or single. At the risk of going OT, here's my quick and dirty run-down on adoption options:

1. Foster-to-adopt: our favorite and it brought us the most perfect son ever (not that we're biased or anything). Good: range of ages available, cheap, socially responsible. Bad: complex birth families, slow process after placement.

2. International: pretty much out of the question for gays now.

3. Open adoption where birth mother chooses you: you can wait twice as long for a placement as a gay couple (18-24 mos.). Can be expensive. Good: once you're chosen, it's pretty great.

4. Private adoption: expensive, long wait. Good: once there's a match, it's pretty great.

With any of these options, there's always the risk that there's some undisclosed issue in the background. But having/raising a child is always a crap-shoot. You know, like life.

P.S. If you're interested in babysitting our perfect son for a week or so, let me know. dr

Posted by: David R. | Dec 11, 2008 12:15:39 AM

4. Oops! #3 should read: twice as long as a STRAIGHT couple (though some moms-to-be will like the idea of being the only mom in the "adoption triad"). Also, you're pretty much out of luck as a single.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 11, 2008 12:17:41 AM

5. OT or not, that was a great rundown David! Is adoption often complicated? Yes. But it's (for the most part) also hugely rewarding for all involved.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 11, 2008 2:18:20 PM

6. Ricky martin is one of the nicest genuine and humanitarian celebrities, wish that more celebrities have the integrity that he has.

Do not confused being discreet and private with honesty. If you haters and looser like Rudy think you can judge anyone without knowing someone.

Ricky always have been private with personal life, and he is not the only one, look at : Oprah, Tom Cruise, Keane Reeves, Ryan Seacrest, Queen Latifah and many others.

Posted by: Jerry | Dec 13, 2008 8:51:43 PM

7. He should come out and say whether he is or isn't.If he is then its is like he is ashamed-because so many have come out and said yes they were gay. There is nothing to be ashamed of so-say yes or no already.He will kill my fantasies about him and I but I can deal with that.

Posted by: shell | Jan 18, 2009 11:19:22 AM

8. He should come out and say whether he is or isn't.If he is then its is like he is ashamed-because so many have come out and said yes they were gay. There is nothing to be ashamed of so-say yes or no already.He will kill my fantasies about him and I but I can deal with that.

Posted by: shell | Jan 18, 2009 11:19:59 AM

9. He should come out and say whether he is or isn't.If he is then its is like he is ashamed-because so many have come out and said yes they were gay. There is nothing to be ashamed of so-say yes or no already.He will kill my fantasies about him and I but I can deal with that.

Posted by: shell | Jan 18, 2009 11:20:08 AM