Barack Obama | Democratic Party | Inauguration | News | Washington DC

The World Spins Forward

Obama

I'd like to thank Joe Jervis from Joe.My.God for doing a thorough job of keeping you informed in these past two days while Corey and I have been covering the Inauguration in Washington, DC. I hope you've also enjoyed the videos and photos we've posted so far. It was so busy over the past four days I haven't had a chance to edit the bulk of the videos we shot while here, so you'll be seeing them in the next day or so as "Inauguration Extras".

I'll also be traveling for a good portion of the day Wednesday, so I'll be posting more videos along with our regular programming as soon as I'm able.

Below is a satellite photo of yesterday's inauguration. Crowds are seen as brown clusters on the National Mall. Higher definition versions can be viewed here.

Cnet reports: "GeoEye-1, the satellite that will supply Google with high-resolution imagery of the Earth, took a high-resolution photograph of the inauguration of President Barack Obama. The satellite is expected to start producing data for Google in coming weeks, but in the meantime, this shot shows a bit more tantalizing detail about what will show in Google Earth and Google Maps. It was taken from 423 miles up as the 4,300-pound satellite traveled 17,000 miles per hour."

Satellite

Comments

1. ehhmmmmmm note to that white guy holding the we have overcome banner who is all over the interwebs. what the hell are you doing? shut the fuck up and put that thing down. as a white person, I don't think I would EVER be so presumptuous as to hold up a banner with that statement on it.

Posted by: Blake | Jan 21, 2009 2:49:56 AM

2. @BLAKE: While I certainly understand your point, not everyone with light skin is Caucasian. One of my best friends has black hair, green eyes and extremely pale skin. Her last name is Aguirre, and her dad was from Chile. We can't always know a person's race by looking at the color of their skin.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 21, 2009 8:45:05 AM

3. It is a sentiment that can easily be shared by all who are/were oppressed by conservative, religious, backward, racist, homophobic or other wrong-headed people.

With the election of Obama, many of us - black, white or otherwise - have overcome in some way. My home state turned blue this year, a huge victory, so in that sense I've overcome something as well.

Even you, Blake, have gained a little more ground in the battle of oppression vs. freedom for all of us to be whoever we want to be. Instead of hurling invectives, why not celebrate everyone's advances? You don't know this man's story. He has every right to celebrate how he wishes.

Think before writing.

Posted by: johnny | Jan 21, 2009 9:20:06 AM

4. If one looks at as "We have overcome, the horrid bush yrs" then anyone could and should hold up such a sign. One could also look at from the perspective of all the white americans who were abolitionists (Ben Franklin later in life) , those who were part of the underground railroad, those who marched with King, etc

Anyway; who is watching the National Cathedral service?

I would prefer a president who doesn't have to go to church but if Obama must I hope they choose the National Cathedral as their church. It is ecumenical. It has rabbis, muslim clerics, native americans, budhists, etc participating in its services. What a way to unite america! and a great bit of propaganda for the world.

Where else can someone look up at a stain glass window and see a bit of moon rock imbeded in it? Whenever I have been dragged there by friends I pass the fairytale time by looking at the moon rock and day dreaming. :-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 21, 2009 10:55:54 AM

5. "...so presumptuous as to hold up a banner with that statement on it."

Why? We're all in this together? And, most importantly, equality of civil rights is not limited to race or any other characteristic. So, I, as a white person, have every right to hold up a sign with those words.

Posted by: PatrickPatrick | Jan 23, 2009 3:32:48 PM

6. Hey Blake,

Thanks for the comments. When I decided to make the sign back on Nov. 4, I considered the efforts I had made personally - and those that my parents had made as well. But, I still had this "guilt" feeling - Am I truly the best person to state "We Have Overcome?"

At the Grant Park Rally on election night and overwhelmingly on the Mall and at the swearing in, I deferred to african american after african american to hold the sign...To nearly a one they said: "No, it's only appropriate that you, too, share these thoughts, these feelings, these emotions, these conclusions...You should be in the picture with us."

Thus, I decided that we - as a people - as a human race, have overcome. By no means is the fight for equality over - for some it's just hitting the early stages...for others, the election of Barack Obama is a sign that marginalization can be overcome.

I hope you understand a bit better, now. Thanks for the input.

Let's keep moving forward.

Posted by: PK in IL | Jan 26, 2009 1:54:43 PM