Log Cabin Republicans | Michael Steele | News | Republican Party

Michael Steele Elected Chair of the Republican Party

Michael Steele, the former Lieutenant Governor of Maryland, has been elected chair of the Republican party. He is the first African-American to hold the position. I posted briefly about Steele earlier this week after allegations surfaced that rival RNC Chair candidate Saul Anuzis had attempted to smear Steele by forwarding GOP members an email from the Log Cabin Republicans praising Steele, thus casting him as a moderate.

SteeleWhile Steele is generally seen as more moderate than the other candidates that were up for the leadership position, there is some recent evidence of his positions on LGBT issues.

In December, he said he'd toe the party line if a federal marriage amendment ever came up even though he is personally against it: “As chairman of the party, it is in the platform. We will support it and if members of Congress introduce the bill, then we will be the advocates for that legislation. Personally, I do not like messing around with the Constitution. I really don’t and I’m conflicted by it and I really appreciate the idea of wanting to put something like that, same with the pro-life issue, same with gay marriage but I really believe we are a federal government.”

As Lt. Governor of Maryland in 2006, he told religious leaders that marriage is between one man, one woman, and God: "Marriage is not a purely human institution. Marriage defines not only the relationship between a man and a woman but also their journey through life. They should not be brow-beaten into thinking something that goes counter to what the people in the community aspire to."

And in 2005, Steele appeared at a 'Defend Marriage' rally, saying, "We are here to affirm that marriage is only between a man and a woman. We need to make it clear where Maryland stands."

Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon praised the selection of Steele: "Michael Steele is the right man at the right time to lead the GOP. It's a great day for our Party. Steele is an inclusive leader who will bring a new energy and a new vision to the GOP at a critical time."

Watch the announcement of Steele's chairmanship, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Altona, you would have to change the voting system to an at least in parts proportional method.

Isn't the current system undemocratic? (wasted votes)

Posted by: Chris | Jan 30, 2009 9:15:21 PM

2. Agreed, this is a bold move for the repugs, whatever their motivation (though I believe if there were no Obama there would be no Steele).

I don't know anything about Steele's personal politics, but I am familiar with the politics of the repugs. I believe the "leaders" of the repug party will be deferential and respectful to Mr. Steel, as they would be with Obama, face-to-face. But behind closed doors, these two men will always share the same descriptive term amongst repugs and their 'base' base. I'll let y'all guess what that term might be, but I'm betting Sarah Palin and Joe the "Plumber" know the word quite well - as does Dick Cheney.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jan 30, 2009 9:27:19 PM

3. MWF, with respect, your reply only proves my point. I do respect your passion though. Passion is important in politics.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 9:32:25 PM

4. Gayrepublican: I am not going to call the base of the Republican Party racist. I will say that Republicans have a VERY BIG race problem. Denying it really makes me question exactly what you see when you look at your party. What about the Southern Strategy. Didn't one of Nixon's advisors say:

"The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

And didn't Ken Melhman former RNC Chair say: "Republican candidates often have prospered by ignoring black voters and even by exploiting racial tensions."

This goes to the heart of my problem with the Republican Party. You want to talk about federalism, low taxes, small government, strong defense-- OK. Those things transcend race. But, Repubs want to exploit anti-black prejudice to win. That's not acceptable.

Posted by: Bran | Jan 30, 2009 9:33:23 PM

5. Gayrep (i think is Rb in disguise)

Wake up
    It took 6!!!! 6 votes to nix Dawson and yet he still garnered almost as many votes as Steele

Dawson "I became a republican when democrats integrated my school."

Dawson who had to leave his whites only country club this month because it wouldn't look good while running for this position

6 votes!!!!!!!!!!! to nix him and he actualy was ahead in one though not a large enough majority by the rules to claim victory

The republican party is chock full of racists. It is the haven of racists
    -------------------------------

Anyway; I'm torn over Steele's victory.

Of course the majority who voted for him did the whole Paulin has a vagina just like Hillary thing but Steele is Blk like Obama so come on over to our side.

BUT!!!! His victory singles to me that at least a few have a couple of brain cells in their skulls to realize that voting in Pro-segregation and white only country club Dawson would have sped up their demise. So instead of being the wigs dieing off this year they are the wig party 2.0 dieing off in a couple more years

Again OF COURSE the majority did the Paulin 2.0 tokinism schtick BUT it gives me hope that a couple over there on the right have a bit of humanity in them

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 30, 2009 10:05:20 PM

6. I just want to point that out again

it took

6 votes to nix a guy who seriously said

"I became a republican when the democrats integrated my school."

and who till this month was a member at a white's only country club

6 freaking votes to vote him down and in one of them he was ahead of Steele by 3.

Grepub, you can't be so blind as to deny the facts of today

6 votes to nix an open segreegationist racist as leader

The repub party is the party of racism. Thankfully though a few.......hopefuly didn't vote for Steele for tokinism reason but because they at least had the brains to realize that they would have died as a party by tomorrow if he had won

6 freaking votes though!!!!!!!!!!!!and one where he was ahead of steele by 3

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 30, 2009 10:14:28 PM

7. Jimmyboyo,

Just FYI. I'm not anyone in disguise. I have only been visiting this site since around proposition eight time. When I first commented those few months ago, I used some silly name when I posted. I don't even remember it exactly, but it was a bunch of random words I believe. Anyway, I never planned on really sticking with the site, but I must admit it's addictive, so now I'm keeping a name that makes sense for me.

I had no clue who the fuck Rb was, but I googled towleroad and Rb and found some of his comments. I'm guessing he's a gay republican?

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 10:20:16 PM

8. Oh, and Jimmyboyo, I don't really care about most of your typos, but more than once you said Paulin instead of Palin. Is this a joke I'm not getting (some funny twist on her name) or just a mistake?

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 10:24:06 PM

9. Grepub

Yepp

ok, ur not RB in disguise

6 votes to vote down an open admitted segregationist former white only country club member who actually beat Steel in one of the 6 votes by 3 but because it wasn't a super majority they had to revote.

Though like I said, I'm somewhat hopeful because a few over in your leadership had enough brain cells to realize that an open segregationist as leader would not be good = the party surviving

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 30, 2009 10:28:07 PM

10. PS

I'm the emperor of typos and spelling mistakes around here

:-)

I never edit my posts and many who don't dismiss me as loony tunes crazy seem to tolerate my typos for some reason. :-)

I apologize for the typos. They are flowing like water tonight since i am typing while also watching the newest episode of BSG at the same time.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Jan 30, 2009 10:31:46 PM

11. Jimmyboyo,

A lot of people bought that guy's excuse that he wasn't aware of the policy, because all races are allowed as guests (as opposed to members). I didn't, but many did, including some in the RNC. Also, I'd add that the Dems have a U.S. Senator who was a former KKK member, so I think that shows that people can change. I'm not saying that guy did or didn't change, only that I can see why people might be willing to give others the benefit of the doubt, because people have changed on the issue of race. Also, Steele winning means that the possible racist's career is essentially over. He is not the future.

I do not deny that the Republicans have a race problem. Many of us are working hard on this issue.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 10:37:24 PM

12. There are black Republicans? I thought that was the "Old White Geezer" party. Well, I shouldn't be shocked if there are GAY Republicans.

Posted by: Wheezy | Jan 30, 2009 10:39:34 PM

13. Also, I'd just like to add that I have participated in many political events (rallies, parties, meetings, etc), and I don't think I've ever heard a negative comment made about someone's race or orientation. The idea that all Republicans do is sit behind closed doors and badmouth people is not based on the current reality.

Now, admittedly, part of this is probably because I'm a younger guy and thus the events I attend are more focused on my generation. I am 26, and as such have a different group of peers than some of the older Republicans. Most activist conservatives and Republicans I know are very unprejudiced, whether it be race or orientation or anything else. Part of this is a generational thing. The older people in power simply need to retire (I'd say 'die' like everyone else, but that always seemed so bitter to me.)

The fundie types that everyone is worried about, while solid voters, don't usually get that involved in the actual party politics, especially at my age level.

Anyway, just some things I thought I'd share.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 10:44:13 PM

14. Are Republicans stingy but principled while Democrats are generous but racist?

"I wouldn't put it quite so starkly," said Stanford University professor Shanto Iyengar. He would prefer to call Democrats "less principled" rather than bigoted, based on his analysis of data collected in a recent online experiment that he conducted with The Washington Post and washingtonpost.com.

As reported in this column a few weeks ago, the study found that people were less likely to give extended aid to black Hurricane Katrina victims than to white ones. The race penalty, on average, totaled about $1,000 per black victim.

As Iyengar and his colleagues subsequently dug deeper into these data, another finding emerged: Republicans consistently gave less aid, and gave over a shorter period of time, to victims regardless of race.

Democrats and independents were far more generous; on average, they gave Katrina victims on average more than $1,500 a month, compared with $1,200 for Republicans, and for 13 months instead of nine.

But for Democrats, race mattered -- and in a disturbing way. Overall, Democrats were willing to give whites about $1,500 more than they chose to give to a black or other minority. (Even with this race penalty, Democrats still were willing to give more to blacks than those principled Republicans.) "Republicans are likely to be more stringent, both in terms of money and time, Iyengar said. "However, their position is 'principled' in the sense that it stems from a strong belief in individualism (as opposed to handouts). Thus their responses to the assistance questions are relatively invariant across the different media conditions. Independents and Democrats, on the other hand, are more likely to be affected by racial cues."

To test the effects of race, participants in the study were asked to read a news article about Katrina victims. Some read a story featuring a white person. Some read identical stories -- except the victim was black, Asian or Hispanic. Then they were asked how much assistance they think the government should give to help hurricane victims. Approximately 2,300 people participated in the study.

Iyengar said he's not surprised by the latest findings: "This pattern of results matches perfectly an earlier study I did on race and crime" with Franklin D. Gilliam Jr. of UCLA. "Republicans supported tough treatment of criminals no matter what they encountered in the news. Others were more elastic in their position, coming to support more harsh measures when the criminal suspect they encountered was non-white."

Posted by: washingtonpost | Jan 30, 2009 11:05:35 PM

15. The Republican party has no power

None.

Zero.

Zilch.

Obama can pass any bill he wants to without a single Republican vote.

NOT ONE!!!!!!

The only people who pay any atttention to the Republicans are the media whores of the "mianstream" -- stuck in perpetuity to the TOTAL FUCKING FANTASY of "bipartisanship" and unwilling to so much as BREATHE the truth -- that the Republican party is A DEAD PARROT!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 30, 2009 11:56:03 PM

16. David,

Take a chill pill. While what you say is true in the House, the Senate has something called the filibuster. The Dems do not have a large enough majority in the Senate to be filibuster-proof. If the Republicans all support a filibuster, then the Dems cannot get their legislation through.

President Obama realizes this. It's the reason why he's being smart and not creating a silly "us vs. them" situation, because the Repubs could essentially stop anything from passing if they were ticked off enough.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 31, 2009 12:00:17 AM

17. LOVE to see that filibuster honey!

What y'all gonna filibuster about?

Saving the middle class?

Health care?

Go right ahead, darlin'

Be my guest.

Dig your fuckin' grave EVEN FASTER!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 31, 2009 12:25:31 AM

18. Jimmyboyo,

Don't even get me started on Sarah Palin.

Her selection was simply insulting. And McCain wasn't terribly subtle about it either. He was practically saying: "the Democrats aren't the only ones who have vaginas." It was condescending on so many levels. If you were a Clinton voter and didn't feel annoyed by the GOP's botched attempt at courtship, then you probably didn't bother to read Hillary's platform. Sarah Palin is the antithesis of everything Hillary stands for. The idea that a fundamentalist hockey mom from Wasilla could replace the valedictorian at Wellesley and associate at the prestigious Treuhaft, Walker and Burnstein law firm is absurd.

Posted by: John in CA | Jan 31, 2009 12:31:04 AM

19. Wow, David, such animosity. Granted, the chill pill comment was a little rude, so I apologize for that. Friends?

I was just pointing out that my party could stop things if the Dems did act like you wanted them to act. There is a reason that Obama is talking about bipartisanship and it isn't just because it makes him feel and look good. It's a smart move politically.

Take care.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 31, 2009 12:34:23 AM

20. For such a fillibuster to actually happen, Reid would have to get his mouth off McConnell's cock and force them to fillibuster. It'll never happen.

Posted by: MAJeff | Jan 31, 2009 7:38:41 AM

21. Given Michael Steele's management track record, I wouldn't put too much faith in his ability to restore the Republican party any time soon. His ability to attract other blacks and ethnic/racial minorities to the party will rest solely upon appealing to their social/religious conservatism -- but in an increasingly poor economy, many minorities will need the programs led by the Democrats (health care, job law enforcement, etc.).

As for LGBT civil rights, neither party has the morally right game plan -- but at least the Democrats have one that starts in a substantive way (at least in word) the very difficult dialogue on discrimination based on sexual orientation. If Steele was as open-minded as Derek W. believes him to be, at best he could decrease the religious right's power back to their pre-Reagan sideline politicking -- highly unlikely given their size and extremism.

Bottom line, it's the economy stupid -- and Reagan is dead. Lincoln's philosophy stopped being the guiding philosophy of the party a long time ago. The Republican polemics of communism versus capitalism are poor structures to build the technological world we now live in, and "childish things" such as religious chauvinism and government intrusion into consenting adult personal lives only serves to further ensure that the vision that Republicans offer to the United States and the world is a dangerous, petty vision more in keeping with the misery and income inequality of the Golden Age than the Silicon Age.

Posted by: Foochy | Jan 31, 2009 8:54:23 AM

22. While Michael Steele was Lt. Gov. of Maryland, the State of Maryland spied on and tapped phone calls of Equality Maryland, the state's main gay rights organization. They considered Equality Maryland a possible terrorist organization! So once again, Log Cabin is seriously dumb to rejoice Steele's selection. Steele has never done anything but SCREW gay citizens.

Posted by: hephaestion | Jan 31, 2009 9:20:36 AM

23. Ok, so I wanted to stay clear of this one because I had nothing to add to the thread that had not already been said, but I get named anyway!

Jimmyboyo, YOU know that I am NEVER here in "disguise"! YOU know that if I have something to say I say with little regard for what others think so why now would I post anything under an anonymous name? Really, are you a little too paranoid?

Gayrepublican, yes I have posted numerous times that I am a repub and a member of the log cabin. As for the abusive language that you will take if you stay on Towleroad, you will get used to it. Those with little to say other than hateful remarks will quickly make your "ignore" list. However, Jimmyboyo is not one of them. He is very bright and witty. While he sometimes angers me, like this time, he has some really good points. I appreciate his posts and I think over time you will too.

Having said that, I truly believe that the mission of the dem party is to hold people down in their own ghetto, physical OR mental, because they need the votes! If people were to educate themselves become successful they would not need the bus ride to the polls and free lunch in exchange for a vote. Really, this whole green jobs BS and save the people crap is growing thin!

We have a city in this country that was 100% under democratic control for over 50 years and it should be utopia given the load of crap you hear about how the dem party is for the people. NEW ORLEANS! And look at that mess! With any luck a new type of young repub, Bobby Jindal, will clean up the state and I wish him well.

Further, look to the great state of California and their cap-and-trade system to fight global warming. Unfortunately Schwarzenegger drank the koolaid on this one! It is absolutely wrecking the economy beyond that of the country as a whole. California's unemployment rate hit 9.3% in December, up from 4.9% in December 2006 when the law was signed, there are now 1.5 million Californians out of work, The state has the fourth-highest housing foreclosure rate in the nation, has lost more businesses than any state in recent years, is facing a $40 billion deficit, and with cap and trade firmly in place, the economic situation is only likely to get worse.

I know that I have thrown a lot of subjects at this thread but they confirm why I am a repub! I may not be able to marry my partner, yet, but we are gainfully employed, own two homes and are able to provide a quality education to our three young children. With the powers of attorney we possess we are able to provide a stable family. While many here think this is selling out to the devil, let me know what you think if California owes you a state refund, you have lost your job, home, car and everything you own. I hope that living on love will be enough to get you through the tough times!

Posted by: RB | Jan 31, 2009 10:41:35 AM

24. GayRepublican is certainly a lot more tolerable than RB. God, I can't stand that closeted, self-loathing fag.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 31, 2009 10:56:06 AM

25. Again, Nick, you are certainly more judgemental than most!

Could you for once attempt to formulate a thought without the term "self-loathing fag" or "hate"? You are showing your lack of depth my friend.

Take care