Barack Obama | Episcopal Church | Evangelical Christians | Gene Robinson | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Warren Praises Obama for Selecting Gay Bishop Gene Robinson

Warren_robinson

The Washington Post reports:

Obamapraying"Robinson, an openly gay Episcopal bishop, had reacted angrily to the selection of Warren, who opposes gay marriage, calling it a 'slap in the face.' But then Robinson was selected this week to give the invocation at the inaugural opening ceremony at the Sunday afternoon concert on the Mall. Today, Warren issued a statement praising Obama for selecting Robinson, saying the president-elect 'has again demonstrated his genuine commitment to bringing all Americans of goodwill together in search of common ground. I applaud his desire to be the president of every citizen.'"

Robinson, who, unlike Warren, does not exclude certain groups of people from joining his church (Saddleback Church refuses gays unless they are "willing to repent of their homosexual lifestyle"), also recently said he'll try to make his invocation as inclusive as possible:

"Bishop Robinson said he had been reading inaugural prayers through history and was 'horrified' at how 'specifically and aggressively Christian they were.' ... 'I am very clear,' he said, 'that this will not be a Christian prayer, and I won’t be quoting Scripture or anything like that. The texts that I hold as sacred are not sacred texts for all Americans, and I want all people to feel that this is their prayer.' Bishop Robinson said he might address the prayer to 'the God of our many understandings,' language that he said he learned from the 12-step program he attended for his alcohol addiction. Bishop Robinson said that his partner of more than 20 years, Mark Andrew, would accept the Obama team’s invitation to join him in attending several inaugural events. The two had a civil union ceremony last summer in a New Hampshire church."

Comments

1. Rick Warren needs to lay off the fatty parts of his steaks.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 14, 2009 8:32:29 PM

2. Is it just me or has this been a publicity boom for Warren? To make him somehow look respectable and fair minded? To me, it's like putting salt in your eye. OK he's the guy and it sucks and that's that, nothings really going to change or mitigate it for me.

This last minute let's invite the gay bishop to make up, sort of, to all the pissed of fags? I don't know I have say I'm not buying it. Right now I have to take an Obama break cuz he broke my heart. I hope he really does do something good, but I'm so not feeling it.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 14, 2009 10:00:01 PM

3. Why is their anything church/chritian at all at these events?

Posted by: Alyn | Jan 15, 2009 12:01:02 AM

4. fuck this backpedaling homophobic asshole

Posted by: pissedoff | Jan 15, 2009 12:13:31 AM

5. Since I agree with Bill Maher's sentiment that only stupid jackasses never change their minds (see: George W. Bush), why can't Warren say one thing a great while back, but try to behave a bit more modern now?

I was pissed at first, but Warren DOES represent a lot of people and Obama proves he does too by SELECTING Warren. All this 'gay acceptance' shit will take time and it's inevitable anyways.

Posted by: Drew | Jan 15, 2009 1:00:34 AM

6. He's got the physique jerry falwell or one of the country bears. This is exactly the problem--zealots can backtrack and hide behind a moderate message and inflict their damage cloaked and defended by said moderates and their message.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 15, 2009 1:01:41 AM

7. Sad that the gay folk can't move beyond and view a bigger picture. Something to say about forgivness, mercy, grace etc. But being in the gay community I know to well all about the back biting, gossip, bitchiness that so prevades our community. And once again the comments above prove the point.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 15, 2009 1:02:40 AM

8. It's not inevitable, and now is the time...gradualism is attractive to the lazy and complacent. Martin Luther King even inveighed against gradualism.

Keep it meaningless, gene...LOL!

Posted by: TANK | Jan 15, 2009 1:05:31 AM

9. That pic of Gene Robinson and his partner...hmmmm, I find they look odd together, with Gene looking like a sad 'ol lady and the hired younger escort behind him in a way??!!

Posted by: nikko | Jan 15, 2009 1:56:23 AM

10. You're either lying with saying you are gay Jeff, or you hang around angry, defensive gay men ("I'll be a cunt first, so you won't hurt me" type of guys) to make such a comment. Saying that's how all gays are like is like me going to a straight pick-up bar and saying that's how all heterosexuals behave. What you said is retarded on so many levels.

Warren's actions and words are a disgrace to the word of God (his Rump Roast and Creme Shake diet don't help either). It's no wonder homosexuals are so poisoned to the God of the Bible.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 15, 2009 2:17:14 AM

11. Meh. What else was he going to say? The Obama team has finally done a smart thing here - they backed Warren into a corner. Doesn't make the initial choice smarter or less insulting, but for now, it's OK.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 15, 2009 2:25:55 AM

12. What do you expect him to look like Nikko? The poor man has gone through a living Hell since he was appointed Bishop, I'm surprised he's not falling over (I wouldn't rule out puppet strings keeping him up). I wish the two pictures above would come alive so Gene can reach over and wack Warren over the head with that stick.

Posted by: Frank | Jan 15, 2009 2:40:56 AM

13. If Obama & Co. can be as efficiently calculating about governing as they have about this issue, then at least we have a competent administration coming in. They've played this whole thing like a Stradivarius, from the Warren announcement, to their response to the backlash, to including Gene Robinson. They knew exactly what they were doing from step one, and exactly what they wanted to get out of it.

Posted by: MikeMick | Jan 15, 2009 9:19:28 AM

14. Warren is still a homophobe that he is. He is just spinning his inclusiveness for now.

Posted by: Landis | Jan 15, 2009 9:31:44 AM

15. Bishop Robinson was great, and, his words should be heeded by many, on both sides of this issue.

Posted by: Tim | Jan 15, 2009 9:37:13 AM

16. Who knows, maybe Obama will succeed in bringing a homophobic preacher-man back into the 'love thy neighbor' flock. More power to him!

Posted by: Greg | Jan 15, 2009 11:12:52 AM