Awards | Brandon Flowers | Lady Gaga | Music | News | Pet Shop Boys

BigGayDeal.com

Brandon Flowers and Lady GaGa Join Pet Shop Boys at Brit Awards

Psb1

The Pet Shop Boys sang a string of their hits to close this year's Brit Awards tonight in London. They were joined very briefly by Lady GaGa, and then Brandon Flowers. It was rumored that she'd join them on the track "Nothing Has Been Proved" but instead she took the Dusty Springfield part in "What Have I Done to Deserve This."

Both guest performances were a bit wobbly, imho.

Flowers is a longtime fan of the duo, and talked about them in an interview in the documentary A Life in Pop, saying, "No matter how you look at America, if you just see a big hamburger, or whatever it is that you see, uh, [the Pet Shop Boys] took a bite out of it. America is still getting used to the word gay...so when you've got a band that's seen as this gay...thing...it's instantly going to be, there's going to be a wall that's gonna get put up. I think that the song for me that stood out, probably that meant something to me was "Being Boring", and I just assumed that it meant a lot to everybody. The first song that I danced to on a dancefloor in a disco was "New York City Boy". This was at a hip club in Las Vegas."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. LOVED it. It took me back and gave me goosebumps. I'll admit Brendan Flowers and Lady Gaga sang well but their mics were out of sync. Who ever was handling the equipment should have lowered the intake and reverb on their mics as they were supposed to be backup singers not lead vocalists, and it threw off their harmony.

Posted by: Cj | Feb 18, 2009 6:15:12 PM

2. Much better quality clip here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OAlTWrNN6o

Posted by: Lee | Feb 18, 2009 6:36:39 PM

3. FABULOUS

And I even like the guests being off a bit - makes it more real, and shows it wasn't lip-synced like every bloody performance over here from the inauguration to the superbowl

Posted by: Patrick M | Feb 18, 2009 6:40:54 PM

4. I knew you'd get your hands on this....loved it and can't wait for their new album!!

Posted by: Chris | Feb 18, 2009 7:06:44 PM

5. I wish Dusty were alive to see this. She'd be as pissed off as I am!

Posted by: Jay | Feb 18, 2009 7:14:46 PM

6. JAY: LOL. Seriously. Interesting that Dusty Springfield almost didn't team up with PSB's in 1987, thankfully she did for one of their best tracks... Anyone know, but I read that Dusty was a lesbian. Any truth to that?

RIP Dusty, you are missed...

Posted by: Cj | Feb 18, 2009 7:35:22 PM

7. CJ-dusty's lesbianism is pretty well established. i remember when i was in my early 20s hearing that dusty & nona hendryx had been lovers for years and thinking how cool that was.

Posted by: alguien | Feb 18, 2009 7:50:03 PM

8. Gaga's not quite as fab as a Del Rubio is she...

Posted by: PeeWee | Feb 18, 2009 8:39:17 PM

9. Puts the Grammys to shame. Everyone has a Grammy. My dog has a Grammy.

Also, one of the gayest things I've seen. Lady Gaga? Blech.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 18, 2009 9:10:12 PM

10. Its look like party night,but its funny

Posted by: riders | Feb 18, 2009 9:14:35 PM

11. Awesome show, awesome clip
    Thanks for posting!

Posted by: Marc | Feb 18, 2009 9:33:48 PM

12. I adore the PSBs, but their live performances are always a disappointment. I realize that "aloof" is the cornerstone of their personae, but for me it gets tiresome live. It feeds into the notion that they're a superficial disco group, when many of their lyrics are quite touching and/or intelligent. Though seeing Chris Lowe in Andy Warhol drag was kind of funny.

I have friends who love them and feel exactly the opposite, but their songs are usually exactly the same live as on CD, and they act like the audience isn't even there. At least here they mixed things up a bit and had impressive visuals. (Well, they always have impressive visuals, since they're clearly not trying to engage the audience.) It always just seems so robotic and forced.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 18, 2009 9:39:06 PM

13. I was at party in the mid-80s in Toronto and Dusty Springfield and Carole Pope (of Rough Trade) were there as a couple... they were argumentative, combative and totally in love. They were so much more interesting than Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson.

Posted by: james | Feb 18, 2009 10:25:51 PM

14. To Paul R:

The PSB have made it quite clear in interviews that they don't want to put on the typical rock concert where they pretend to engage in fake banter with the audience. They perceive their concerts as theatrical performances and shows they put on for the audience in which the costumes and scenery and light show enhance the songs.

I've seen the PSB live in concert on every US tour, including their very first one in 1991, and I can tell you that the songs are NOT "exactly" the same live as on CD. I've been amazed at how they can take a 20-year old song I've listened to hundreds of times and make it still sound new and fresh in live performance and make me feel like I'm experiencing it for the first time.

Posted by: PSBFan | Feb 18, 2009 10:34:11 PM

15. gots to love the irony of the mormon raised brandon singing "everything I've ever done / its a sin" amazing pop group but as james noted, a bit blah in the flesh. like all great art - let's keep it a little less real.

Posted by: resurrect | Feb 18, 2009 10:46:16 PM

16. All of my favorites. I love how lady gaga and brandon can actually sing live.

Posted by: matt | Feb 18, 2009 10:59:50 PM

17. I love the Pet Shop Boys. Still, I saw their last concert from Fundamental, and having seen Depeche Mode before, I can tell I wasn't nearly as thrilled. Euphemisms.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 18, 2009 11:01:41 PM

18. James
    have you read Carole Pope's memoir Antidiva? she delves into her relationship with Dusty Springfield.

Posted by: craigh | Feb 19, 2009 12:37:12 AM

19. I LOVED this montage! I didn't really see the lack of sync in voice/video with Brandon/Lady Gaga, but that might just be a YouTube thing. I saw PSB live two years ago in Chicago, and they were GREAT. I honestly don't care about their lack of interaction with the audience--they are there to perform, and groups that do that tired-ass talking to the audience crap bore me--I didn't shell out $75 to have them act like they give a crap--I do it to watch them perform. PSB are awesome!

Posted by: troschne | Feb 19, 2009 8:03:20 AM

20. I sadly wasn't impressed :-( with any of it

Posted by: gabriel | Feb 19, 2009 8:08:12 AM

21. Flowers is a dipshit. I loves me some PSB, but it took them forever to come out and even then only one did it!

Posted by: shane | Feb 19, 2009 8:32:32 AM

22. Shane- looking at the earliest PSB videos, it's amazing to see how they were telegraphing their sexuality- it's all there, from the very beginning. Gay slang, images of male domesticity in Suburbia, enacting the queen/rough trade archetypes, allusions to hiden love and AIDS in the coda of Opportunities.. tons of clues.
    It's incredible how obvious it seems now, but they were discreetly signalling it all along. They had to be careful; coming out in 1984, well, they might not have had much of a pop career.

Posted by: Desca | Feb 19, 2009 10:57:38 AM

23. To clarify, I would no more want or expect the PSBs to talk to the audience that I would an actor in a play. I was referring to the lack of emotional engagement.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 19, 2009 2:47:47 PM

24. amazing. there was nothing wrong with this performance from anyone involved. i actually got goosebumps more than once, and one of those times was brandon singing those immortal lines in 'it's a sin'. psb can do no wrong.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 19, 2009 3:40:12 PM