Comments

1. says

The difference between the heroic pilot and me:

Pilot:

“We’re going in the Hudson.”

Me:

“HOLY FUCK WE’RE GOING INTO THE FUCKING HUDSON! JESUS CHRIST ON A CRACKER GET SOME BITCHES OVER HERE WITH A BOAT OR SOMETHING, HOLY TAP DANCING FUCK! [insert sound of me shitting myself]”

2. ERB says

I love the last guy…so calm…”I, uh, think he said he was going into the Hudson”

me: “shit, the fucker said he was going into the hudson, ah shit, I’m turning on the news”
    clearly i should never be an air traffic controller

3. AG says

Props to the controllers, especially the one in Teterboro. He sounded ON IT.

“We’re going to be in the Hudson.”
    “I’m sorry, say again, Cactus?”

And how was YOUR day at work?

4. CPT_Doom says

“How can that man be so damn calm? The printer effs up at work and I’m a basket case.”

Me too, and that is why I prefer to be in the back of the plane, having a drink.

And AG is totally right – it’s amazing how quickly they were able to communicate among two airports and at least 2 airplanes. I heard a longer version of the tape and the LaGuardia controller, in the midst of the emergency, has to keep giving instructions to his other flights – and he pretty much handled one as calmly as the next.

I fly a lot for my job, and it’s nice to know how well-trained these flight crews really are. I know they spend hours in simulators to experience nearly every emergency situation the flight trainers can think of – that way if they make a mistake and crash, they get to try again and learn from their mistakes. I am betting that this exact scenario is now being programmed into simulators at every airline to teach proper ditching.

5. says

I am so astounded by the complete lack of emotion in their voices. I would think an emergency landing would mean some nervousness or excitement. But guess that is how they are trained.

6. Zeke says

God bless this pilot, the air traffic controller and the crew of the US Air flight.

Heroes one and all.

The calmness and matter-of-factness of the pilot are absolutely amazing. His calmness and focus were, no doubt, the greatest factors in saving the lives of all aboard the plane.

Even with the happy outcome this incident does nothing but heighten my flying anxiety.

7. says

Yeah ATC dudes are intenseee.

My dad worked at Fort Campbell as a controller for like 30 years, and when I was little, I would go to work with him and that shit was crazy. It’s like they’re speaking another language at times.

Werd.