Dallas | Evangelical Christians | News | T.D. Jakes

Bishop T.D. Jakes Speaks Out About Son's Gay Sex Arrest

JakesBishop T.D. Jakes, the homophobic Dallas megachurch pastor whose son was arrested last week after exposing himself and masturbating in front of law enforcement officers during a sex sting in a public park, released a statement over the weekend (which he also read to his congregation) distancing himself from his son's actions by pointing out that Jermaine Jakes is an adult. Bishop Jakes also says that his son is being shown a "restorative grace" indicative of his ministry.

According to the Dallas Voice, Jakes has said that he would never hire a sexually active gay person, has spoken out against same-sex marriage, and has called homosexuality a "brokenness."

Jermaine Jakes turned himself in to police last Thursday on an indecent exposure charge.

Read the full text of Jakes' statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

***FULL TEXT of BISHOP TD JAKES STATEMENT regarding SON'S ARREST***

As parents, we occasionally feel that our children do not live up to our highest and best ideals. When they do not, we don't diminish our love for them as recompense for our disapproval. Like our children, we also are not infallible nor do we profess to be. Our now adult son Jermaine is 29, but when he was at home he was a recipient of correction, compassion and wise counsel. We hope that the light of what we believe will guide him through times of contradiction and moments of concern as he continues to mature.

In spite of the family pain we feel from this unfortunate situation, it has given us a chance to show him the same help, support, and restorative grace for which our family and church is noted. Through our ministry at The Potter’s House, as well as our own home, we have for years offered help in the time of need to all adults, our five children and other people’s children.

It is in moments like these that I am so grateful that we do not preach that we are the solution, but we look to Christ for resolution. So then, as a very human family with real issues, like many other people, we will draw from the same well of grace to which we have led others to drink and be refreshed.

Bishop T.D. Jakes

Comments

1. BISHOP JAKES I AM YOUR SPIRITUAL DAUGHTER I HAVE NOTHING BUT A SOULY DIVINE LOVE FOR YOU..I NEVER MET YOU IN PERSON I WAS IN LABOR WHEN YOU PREACH AT THE TEMPLE OF PRAISE..I BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 08...I KNOW THAT YOU AND BISHOP STAPLES ARE A MAN OF GOD...I ASK GOD TO REBUKE EVERY DEMONIC SPIRIT IN THE NAME OF JESUS WHO COMMENT ON BISHOP T.D JAKES NEWS FLASH...JAKES YOU GAIN MORE HATERS...THAT MEAN YOUR A GOING TO BE ELEVATED EVERY SECOND YOU BREAVE....EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS....NO BODY OF THIS WORLD IS PERFECT....YOU ARE SO SOAK IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS THAT SATAN IS STEAMING MAD THAT HE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GLORY..ITS A TESTIMONY COMING FOR MY BROTHER JERMAINE........CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AT THE TEMPLE....

Posted by: ABRONDA | May 7, 2009 8:55:20 PM

2. BISHOP JAKES I AM YOUR SPIRITUAL DAUGHTER I HAVE NOTHING BUT A SOULY DIVINE LOVE FOR YOU..I NEVER MET YOU IN PERSON I WAS IN LABOR WHEN YOU PREACH AT THE TEMPLE OF PRAISE..I BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 08...I KNOW THAT YOU AND BISHOP STAPLES ARE A MAN OF GOD...I ASK GOD TO REBUKE EVERY DEMONIC SPIRIT IN THE NAME OF JESUS WHO COMMENT ON BISHOP T.D JAKES NEWS FLASH...JAKES YOU GAIN MORE HATERS...THAT MEAN YOUR A GOING TO BE ELEVATED EVERY SECOND YOU BREAVE....EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS....NO BODY OF THIS WORLD IS PERFECT....YOU ARE SO SOAK IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS THAT SATAN IS STEAMING MAD THAT HE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GLORY..ITS A TESTIMONY COMING FOR MY BROTHER JERMAINE........CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AT THE TEMPLE....

Posted by: ABRONDA | May 7, 2009 8:57:07 PM

3. BISHOP JAKES I AM YOUR SPIRITUAL DAUGHTER I HAVE NOTHING BUT A SOULY DIVINE LOVE FOR YOU..I NEVER MET YOU IN PERSON I WAS IN LABOR WHEN YOU PREACH AT THE TEMPLE OF PRAISE..I BEEN A MEMBER SINCE 08...I KNOW THAT YOU AND BISHOP STAPLES ARE A MAN OF GOD...I ASK GOD TO REBUKE EVERY DEMONIC SPIRIT IN THE NAME OF JESUS WHO COMMENT ON BISHOP T.D JAKES NEWS FLASH...JAKES YOU GAIN MORE HATERS...THAT MEAN YOUR A GOING TO BE ELEVATED EVERY SECOND YOU BREAVE....EVERYBODY GOES THROUGH TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS....NO BODY OF THIS WORLD IS PERFECT....YOU ARE SO SOAK IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS THAT SATAN IS STEAMING MAD THAT HE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GLORY..ITS A TESTIMONY COMING FOR MY BROTHER JERMAINE........CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AT THE TEMPLE....

Posted by: ABRONDA | May 7, 2009 8:58:36 PM

4. The blood of Jesus is against all you Christ-haters. You are dangerous to our world and to our youth. It was probably one of you who messed up this church child.
    Why are you homosexuals so angry and bitter? Do you not like who you are and what you say your god made you to be? You want people to accept you and not speak against you, but at the same time you speak so irreverently of others. What hypocrites you are!

Posted by: Lora | May 12, 2009 1:56:03 PM

5. I'll be the first to say, I'm a 27 year old male, that has struggled with homosexuality for many years. However I've come to the conclusion that no matter what, I can't allow my feeling or emotions to dicate my life. At the end of the day I believe the word of God does not lie. If God tells us same sex relations is a sin and at the end of it all leads to destruction, then forget how I feel. I must take up my cross and follow Christ. However the gay and lesbian community is always preaching tolerance, but the truth of the matter is they are the least tolerant of all. Bishop Jakes was'nt in that park, his son was, just like I was in many parks, subways, gyms for many year of my life. Why are they attacking the Bishop, you would think the gay and lesbian community would feel sympothy for Jermaine, however they dont even care about him all they care about is attacking his father, at the end of it all Christ loves you if your gay, straight, black or white, what he does'nt like is sin and homosexuality is sin. I can say that because I know how it is the have strong desires for the opposite sex, I would'nt be surprised if I was attacked next and I love the gay community with the love of Christ.

Posted by: Eddie | May 24, 2009 4:31:07 AM

6. It is very sad to hear the voices of ignorance and hate that are presented on this website. What Bishop Jakes said was extremely loving and right. First off the bible clearly speaks against homosexuality. IT IS A SIN! Just like fornication, lying, stealing, murder and all other sins. Jakes is not speaking hatefully against it. He is speaking fervently and lovingly for those who our broken by it to come home. We as christians are so sorry that you all hate christ followers like gay bashers hate you. But we are taught to love you still. So I do. I love all of you. Its just the ignorance that I dislike. Btw it is very comforting to hear the voices of christians defending a leader in Christ and standing up for what is soley right. At first I thought this was a rest haven for christian persecuters. And for one to say the only christian died on a cross must not have known that he in fact was a jew naturally but spiritually was the son of God and thus the bridge for the gentile to cross from sin to eternal life. Christianity is not a secret nor an exclusive society or social group. It is an open door to the love of God. All you have to do is shed hate and sin and take part in Gods inexhaustible love and grace. Any and everyone has that right. Even gays. Yet the bible says "shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? By no means." Which just means, "you are saved. Sin no more!" I'll be praying for you all. Please love even when not loved, love.

Posted by: JaeO | May 30, 2009 1:43:57 AM

7. Let us all stand together and pray for Bishop TD Jakes and his family as he has prayed for us for many many years.

Let's not judge anyone for the Almighty God is the judge of us all.

God bless you
    nowfaithbeejay

Posted by: nowfaithbeejay | Jun 16, 2009 3:59:17 PM

8. stop let him who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Posted by: love | Jul 9, 2009 5:01:15 AM

9. hang in there brother jakes, we know god is good

Posted by: dechole | Jul 10, 2009 9:52:46 PM

10. For how long will people continue to talk about things they don't know? who even made them a judge over God's people? It has been proven many times that parents give birth to their children and not their character. Moreover, the servant of God is praying for God's grace to be shown unto his son.Who then is still criticizing God's servant? I please beg all those folks to stop accusing the servant of God. But even though they don't,God will still continue to use his servant tremendously. That wont even stop me and many others from listening to his wealth of wisdom. Keep talking about him, but I tell you, if the lord should mark iniquity, none shall stand. including the folks throwing stones at God's servant.Stop it now because God determines whom he will show mercy and forgiveness to and not you.

Posted by: Philemon | Jul 24, 2009 12:16:06 AM

11. i beleive that GOD is faithful and He will work this whole thing out no matter what the world says. I was once in a lesbian reationship for two years and I was tormented the whole time. You see no matter how we make excuses and get gay support it still goes against GOD's commandments and when you do that there's a price to pay. YES GOD loves the person who lives the homesexual lifestyle but he doesn't like the lifestyle. In fact it is an ambomination to HIM. GOD will have the last say when its all said and done. I can guarantee you that many homesexuals that died that way are in hell burning for eternity just because they allowed satan and their desires lure them from the will of GOD. You don't have to agree because GOD reigns and HIS WORD lasts forever, no matter who agrees or likes it! READ YOUR BIBLE STUDY IT AND APPLY IT TO YOUR LIFE!

Posted by: Neeko N McColley | Jul 28, 2009 9:31:55 PM

12. It seems to me that the voices here are so happy for an excuse to convince themselves and justify there own negative choices. Being a pastor does'nt garantee that your children will be saints but with prayer and supplication and all that jermaine's dad taught him about gods word, he will find his way back like the prodigal son. And whatever the devil meant for evil god will make it right. so people, don't jump ahead of yourselves, jermaine is 29 and we all will have to answer to god on judgement day for our own actions and not our neighbour's

Posted by: maria | Aug 23, 2009 12:04:18 PM

13. Bishop Jakes is a man of God, and God spoke against homosexuality in his word (romans 1:20-32) So as a representative of God he cannot condone negative choices of behaviors and still preach Gods word. He has to stand firm in what he beleives and trust that god will make it right. Do not be deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. (galations 6:7-8)

Posted by: maria | Aug 23, 2009 12:34:36 PM

14. i dont think a man such as yourself should judge know one .

Posted by: jeffrey steward | Nov 14, 2009 1:33:27 AM

15. I would like to encourage the Jakes family. For whatever a man soweth that shall reap. You have been one of God's vessels who have encouraged others to look to the hill during the storms we have faced down through the years. I come in the Name of Jesus to let you know that people all over the world are covering you and family. This is a personal attack from the devil but he want prevail. For the Blood still speaks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: La Rhonda Stewart | Nov 30, 2009 1:46:37 AM

16. TD jakes you are ma spiritual mentor.
    Here in Africa,Kenya we pray for you.
    All things work for good.
    Its men of God who are tempted en persecuted.
    Stand en hold firm to the truth.
    The devil is a lie,a looser and a blander.
    To God almighty be the glory forever and ever
    Amen.

Posted by: dominic obadiah | Dec 10, 2009 4:52:07 AM

17. The best thing to do is to pray for him and not talk about him. The bible says that he who is without sin cast the first stone. We are to hate the sin and not the sinner. God is a forgiving God and he can change anything and anybody. Prayer changes things.

Posted by: Minister Corder | Dec 16, 2009 1:08:34 AM

18. Prodical sons and daughters will always exist, and loving, caring fathers will forgive them, as Our Loving Father forgives us.

Posted by: Lorraine | Dec 26, 2009 10:53:35 PM

19. Its so amazing when unbelievers always looking for ministers,and men ,and women of god to fall , but the beauty of it all is we still connected to the throne of grace , and mercy,and his son sins is not on him I pray for his son as well as I pray for all the devils that are passing judgement, know that God is always into redeming, so only the lost souls don't understand, I pray you find God and know that he hears a sinner prayer ,pray for anyone broken and not talk about them.

Posted by: Victoria | Jan 27, 2010 11:21:50 AM

20. dear bishop, you have been busy depopulating the kingdom of darkness and satan wont give up without a fight and distraction. dont be discouraged but keep on doing the good work. all the misguided comments above are full of hate, but we must rise above hatred and respond in love. that was how Jesus Christ overcame satan.

Posted by: i zi | Mar 5, 2010 5:25:26 PM

21. Bishop I know that this is a tough time for you and your family but God is going to use your son Jermaine in a mighty way. the work of Jesus has already began in his life, but we can't see it as yet.

Posted by: andre | Mar 7, 2010 2:07:10 PM

22. I thank God for bishop Jakes. The devil would use anything he could to bring him down. even loved ones. The same goes for all christians. Jesus Christ died for all the sins of the whole world.

Posted by: Chan Scott | Apr 2, 2010 7:40:28 AM

23. Bishop TD Jakes...you are truley one of my greatest inspirations...we as brothers and sisters in Christ all over the world will be praying for you and your family...that the stregnth of God will be with ya'll through this trial...Matt5:12:'rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you'...i believ there is a great reward coming your way stand strong brother...God will never leave you nor forsake you..i'm a pastors child myself and yes it is hard at times but through all my test & trials i LOVE CHRIST and continuously look to HIM and because of that everything just becomes PURE JOY to me knowing that Christ is always with me..Much Love God Bless:) stay strong BISHOP TD.JAKES

Posted by: Kynah | Apr 7, 2010 8:40:08 PM

24. Why everyone trying to blame everthing on God meaning God made us that way, not true if you go back to Genesis and read what really happen in garden when
    Adam and Eve was there. Pay attention Gen:3:1-24.Because of the serpent the trickster:meaning the devil. Because of Adam and Eve disobedient that when every type sin birth out on earth i want you know God never wanted us to know any thing about evil. So that why we battle with good and evil.

Posted by: Jennifer Black | Apr 23, 2010 2:01:02 PM

25. Wow I'm always amazed at how deviant people like gays are so hateful and immediately attempt to character assassinate anybody that disagrees with their twisted life style. It's the sooooo in your face attitude that gets so old and annoying. I don't care which lifestyle anybody chooses and what odd acts they choose to act out in the privacy of their own home. Just don't do it in public - heterosexual or not. Can we just keep our private lives and choices private?

Posted by: Rob | May 2, 2010 2:48:39 AM