Michael Steele | News | Republican Party

RNC Chair Steele: GOP Should Reach Out to Gays, Pro-Choice Voters

Steele

Newly-elected RNC chairman Michael Steel appeared on FOX News Sunday with Chris Wallace and

WALLACE: You are one of the co-founders of something called the Republican Leadership Council which supports candidates who favor abortion and gay rights.

STEELE: Yes.

WALLACE: Does the GOP needs to do a better job of reaching out to people who hold those views?

STEELE: I think -- I think that's an important opportunity for us, absolutely. Within our party we do have those who have that view as well as outside and my partnership with Christy Todd Whitman was an effort to build a bridge between moderates and conservatives.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Michael Steele Elected Chair of the Republican Party [tr]

Comments

1. Too late, asshole.

Posted by: Yeek | Feb 2, 2009 8:29:18 AM

2. ...riiiiiigggggghhhhtttttt. They'll get back to you on that. Hold your breath.

Posted by: Rad | Feb 2, 2009 8:34:50 AM

3. The way to reach out is to start endorsing inclusive policies - how about repealing DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell... basically, they just want to votes - but could give a rats ass.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 2, 2009 8:44:17 AM

4. Wasn't this the exact same guy that was saying on Friday that the GOP had exactly the right message and don't change a thing, especially on abortion and gay rights?

I seem to remember he was pretty adamant about that.

What a freak. Mr. Steele, remember how the south felt about Republicans after Reconstruction? Honey, that's the way gay people think about you and your party now. It was, oh, a hundred years before you managed to elect anyone there, remember sweetie?

Posted by: Craig | Feb 2, 2009 9:49:24 AM

5. Doesn't this guy look like a black version of the typical banker/manager from the Beverly Hillbillies/Gilligan Island era?

Attitudes from the '50's, why not the look I guess.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 2, 2009 9:52:38 AM

6. All Mr. Steele needs to do, is to look into his own election as chairman, to see how nothing is changed. Our departure from the Republican party is profound, and only a generational change could ever be sincere enough, for us to believe half of your words.

Posted by: Rafael | Feb 2, 2009 10:15:02 AM

7. Yet he also said that repubs would not change 1 iota of their platform on gays and abortion

He also feels that there is nothing wrong with their message rather the problem is the messengers. Overtones of a religion ...xtianity can't fail only xtians can fail.....repulicanism/conservatism can't fail only so-called repubs

The repubs are dangerously close to going the way of the wigs. Though I disagree with libertarians a recreated repub party to be libertarian is much more respectable, but that will never ever happen to the strangle hold the social conservatives have on the party.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 2, 2009 10:52:40 AM

8. He's just a placeholder. Sarah Palin is the effective leader of the Republican Party.

Posted by: chasmader | Feb 2, 2009 11:06:59 AM

9. He's just a placeholder. Sarah Palin is the effective leader of the Republican Party.

Posted by: chasmader | Feb 2, 2009 11:07:11 AM

10. CTW has an IQ of about 75.

Posted by: anon | Feb 2, 2009 1:50:01 PM

11. T O K E N.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 2, 2009 2:24:42 PM

12. Steele was picked because he's whiter than (fellow homophobe) Marie Osmond which is "black enough" for the Republican party.

High yella, skinny nose, "speaks so well". Owe's his appointment to the election of President Obama and Republicans fears of irrelevance.

Hack.

Posted by: Repuglican Hair Club for Tokens | Feb 2, 2009 2:31:09 PM

13. So, blackness is defined by clothes and political views, not skin color?

Hmmm...tell that to my black co-worker who was told by her guidance counselor in high school that she wasn't really black because she didn't talk "ghetto" and liked "white" music.

Really enlightened, liberals!

Posted by: jmg | Feb 2, 2009 7:05:41 PM

14. No one was talking about whether Michael Steele is black or how "black" he is (by the way, Steele is nowhere near "high yella"). And JMG, I have had similar things said to me throughout my lifetime, but I always chalked it up to people's ignorance about my culture and not their political views. Otherwise I would have to say something silly like "Really enlightened, Liberatians/Republicans."

Posted by: Foochy | Feb 2, 2009 7:29:26 PM

15. Foochy, seems pretty clear to me.

Posted by: jmg | Feb 2, 2009 7:39:51 PM

16. The above somehow got lost in my previous post.

Posted by: jmg | Feb 2, 2009 7:41:37 PM

17. Ok, forget it---can't cut and paste tonight!

Posted by: jmg | Feb 2, 2009 7:43:10 PM

18. I hope he makes some changes and I hope we at least listen to him and meet with him to see what he has to say. The way I see it, he has nothing to lose by "going for it". The R's are in such bad shape that he can get away with a lot more than any of his party's leaders of the past few years.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 2, 2009 9:26:39 PM

19. Actually, you should see his whole interview. He thinks the Republican Party should reach out to those who support gay rights (ie. our straight allies, not us, there's a difference). He also goes on to say that they should support the Republican Party if they can agree with 80% of the policies. That said, the who anti-gay, anti-abortion thing is nen-negotiable. Nothing has changed, folks. Lipstick on a pig.

Posted by: loki7329 | Feb 2, 2009 10:24:47 PM

20. He said the same exact thing about Latinos and immigrants. Until he and his party endorse and vote for inclusive policies for the LGBT community, Latinos and other immigrant communities, and pro-choice individuals, no one will switch sides to join the GOP or even vote for them. You don't get something for nothing.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 8, 2009 12:54:37 AM

21. He basically said the Republican Party won't ever support abortion or gay rights but we should be behind them because of all the other issues. He speaks with forked tongue. Watch out.

Posted by: Ted | Feb 8, 2009 11:57:36 AM

22. Yes. Steele is hoping they can fool enough socially liberal/fiscally conservative folks to just "overlook" the GOP's overt hostility to gays and other minorities and abortion rights.

When the GOP takes hostile positions about gays/abortion OFF of it's party platform, then MAYBE we'll think they are at least a little sincere.

Until then...I don't think so. So I will continue to ALWAYS VOTE reactionarily for WHATEVER PARTY is NOT THE GOP!...So will my sister and my mother! Good luck GOP. Just pray that you can remain a viable NATIONAL party with only the votes of SOUTHERN WHITE MEN!...Ha,ha.

Posted by: Budbud | May 4, 2009 6:55:33 PM