Crime | Evangelical Christians | News | T.D. Jakes

Son of Homophobic Megachurch Pastor Arrested in Gay Sex Sting

Dallas megachurch pastor T.D. Jakes has said that he would never hire a sexually active gay person, has spoken out against same-sex marriage, and has called homosexuality a "brokenness." Now his son has been arrested in a sex sting after approaching law enforcement officers in a park and exposed himself to them while masturbating, according to the Dallas Voice:

Jakes_3"Jermaine Donnell Jakes, 29, faces a charge of indecent exposure after allegedly exposing himself in front of two undercover vice detectives shortly after 10 p.m. on Jan. 3. Senior Cpl. Janice Crowther, a DPD spokeswoman, confirmed Thursday, Feb. 12 that the detectives were both male. According to an arrest affidavit, the detectives were conducting an investigation into citizen complaints of sexual activity when they observed Jakes and several other unknown males park their vehicles in the lot east of the park at 2106 W. Kiest Blvd. The detectives followed Jakes into a wooded area, where he approached them with his penis exposed through his unzipped pants, the affidavit states. Jakes masturbated for several seconds while making eye contact with one of the detectives. Jakes made no attempt to conceal his penis despite people walking and jogging on a trail nearby, the affidavit states. According to court records, Jermaine Jakes listed his place of employment as T.D. Jakes Ministries."

T.D. Jakes' ministry, Potter House, has a membership of 30,000.

The Dallas Morning News reports: " The son of Potter’s House Bishop T.D. Jakes turned himself in to the Dallas County Jail on Thursday on an indecent exposure charge stemming from an incident at a southern Dallas park last month. Jermaine Jakes, 29, posted $1,000 bail and was released Thursday morning, according to jail records... He was detained at the scene and released, as is often the procedure in such cases. The charge is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine."

Local news report on the Jakes arrest, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. YES!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 13, 2009 3:06:55 PM

2. News like this just don't surprise me anymore. What can I say...

IN YOUR FACE T.D JAKES! Who had the last laugh now, huh??!!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Feb 13, 2009 3:08:08 PM

3. hahahahahahaha. you reap what you sow baby.

Posted by: secretagentman | Feb 13, 2009 3:10:48 PM

4. If I had that fat fuck for a father, I'd be out jerking off for the cops too.

Posted by: David D. | Feb 13, 2009 3:18:03 PM

5. Oh poor queen!!!
    First, a Preachers is hard enough alone!
    2nd, her daddies homophobia has set him running into the woods,trolling for dick.
    Shame-shame-shame.

Posted by: MamaRice | Feb 13, 2009 3:18:08 PM

6. Cue the efforts at "reparative therapy" in 3,2,1...

Posted by: Jay | Feb 13, 2009 3:19:26 PM

7. This kind of highlights how gay rights are FAMILY rights - we all pop out of somewhere....and find me a Family Tree WITHOUT a few queer branches!

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Feb 13, 2009 3:19:59 PM

8. T.D. Jakes is reprehensible, yes, but I do feel bad for his son. Obviously he doesn't feel as though he can lead an openly gay lifestyle (understandably enough with his father and all) and is reduced to exposing himself to people in parks. Not that it's an excuse, really, but... I just feel bad for him. Let's not judge the son too harshly for the sins of his father.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 13, 2009 3:25:20 PM

9. While I'm pleased that T.D. Jakes can now understand that anyone can have a gay son, my heart goes out to his son. The son must have felt great shame that was surely instilled in him by a father who was truly lacking of the christian concept of understanding, acceptance and love for all mankind.

Posted by: dctopman | Feb 13, 2009 3:26:56 PM

10. Call me crazy, but I DO have sympathy for the son. Imagine what his life's been like, growing up with that father? I'm also not a fan of sex stings, unless they were toi catch someone like his father. For him, his life just got a lot harder. So, I sympathize.

Posted by: TonyG | Feb 13, 2009 3:29:35 PM

11. Good Work Jermaine !! from now on.. everything your fat daddy says about gays.. and God's word and judgement against gays.. will carry the mental image of you.. standing in a public park wanking your cock. When Voltaire wrote, ' O Lord, make my enemies look ridiculous,' he knew what he was talking about !

Posted by: JK | Feb 13, 2009 3:30:27 PM

12. I grew up in the South, in a family of preachers and churchgoers. It took me a long time to overcome the internal conflict I had going on, and an even longer time to tell my parents. In the meantime, I did a lot of risky, anonymous sex with other closeted guys.

Hopefully, Jermaine will deal with himself and grow into a confident out man (if he is gay). And then he can help his father see gay people as people and a disease.

Posted by: JTlvr | Feb 13, 2009 3:31:43 PM

13. Sorry! I meant: "...and NOT a disease."

Posted by: JTlvr | Feb 13, 2009 3:34:36 PM

14. Ask the good reverend a question on his website.

I would but I'm at work don't want my ip address detected somehow.

Posted by: Scott | Feb 13, 2009 3:37:10 PM

15. Try this link to ask a question...

Posted by: Scott | Feb 13, 2009 3:40:46 PM

16. Why are we laughing and thinking this is funny? Yes, the Bishop is anti-gay. But imagine the pain his son has gone through for years hearing the abuse and hate his father has thrown all over the place. And we applaud that this poor, conflicted guy gets arrested. If this were an "out and proud" gay man, most of you would be yelling that this was entrapment by the cops. Again, this is why our community as a whole struggles to get evangelicals to listen to us. Instead of people saying they hope that maybe, just maybe, this might calm Jakes down a little bit, we laugh at the son's misfortune and embarrassment. Now some will say "there's no hope for him" but come on, you're the same people who were chanting for "Hope and Change" several months ago. There is always hope.

Remember this, there will ALWAYS be haters. We will not change that. But us laughing at this is NO DIFFERENT than them laughing at us when we get arrested at an adult bookstore or a bathhouse gets raided. I don't know about all of you but I'm going to be the bigger person and simply hope that this guy gets the help he needs to live his life the way he wants, regardless of his father's beliefs.

Posted by: BC | Feb 13, 2009 3:41:08 PM

17. His father calls homosexuality "brokenness" but the only brokenness is TD Jake's ignorance forced on his son.

Posted by: sam | Feb 13, 2009 3:43:06 PM

18. All the biggest homophobes seem to have gay children. Guess all the praying the gay away doesn't work so well.

The so-called "citizen complaints" of sexual activity that lead to these sting operations are always suspicious, however. This was happening at 10p.m. in a wooded area? Is the risk of harm to the public (an exposed penis late at night--gasp!) so great that two detectives had to arrest these guys, including Jakes. Aren't there more serious crimes going on in TX?

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 13, 2009 3:45:36 PM

19. My urge to laugh at the scenario of a homophobic preacher's son being arrested for exposing himself to male officers is overridden by the suspicion that T.D. Jakes will claim that his son is innocent and was framed by cops or that he will claim to have cured his son of 'the curse of homosexuality' through the love of jeebus.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 13, 2009 3:45:38 PM

20. This should hit all the black Evangelical homophobes where they live. Take that, haters!

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 13, 2009 3:54:00 PM

21. I feel sorry for his son, but news like this help our cause because it shows how prejudice and irresponsible homophobic people are.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Feb 13, 2009 4:28:20 PM

22. I really tried not to laugh. I swear. hehehehehe.

Posted by: Sean | Feb 13, 2009 4:50:00 PM

23. I tried not to laugh. I swear I did. hehehehe

Posted by: Sean | Feb 13, 2009 5:02:47 PM

24. Nowhere in the news report or the arrest report does it say that the detective with whom Jakes "interacted" was a man.

Posted by: Thomasina | Feb 13, 2009 5:13:38 PM

25. Posted by: John Bisceglia | Feb 13, 2009 3:19:59 PML "This kind of highlights how gay rights are FAMILY rights"

John, good point. ITA.