Crime | Food & Drink | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Surveillance Tape of Alleged NYC Corner Bistro Gay Bashing

Bistro1

Video evidence of the alleged gay bashing at Corner Bistro turned up on YouTube yesterday in the former of a surveillance tape which corresponds with the date and time BlackBook editor Nick Haramis says he was assaulted by the restaurant employee.

Here is Haramis' description of the incident, which I posted last week: "The recap: My boyfriend sat down at a four-top. A man—a busboy or a waiter, definitely not a host—told him that our group couldn’t sit down. 'You have to order food,' he said. 'We’ll start with fries,' said my boyfriend, not moving. The man then grabbed the back of his shirt, at which point I reached in, instinctively, to take his hand away. I was then thrown down, the side of my head the last thing to hit the ground. There was some confusion as my boyfriend tried to stop the whole thing, and was then punched in the face, while the Bistro worker screamed 'faggots' a few times, for good measure."

After viewing the tape several times, I was unable to see a moment where the employee grabbed Haramis' shirt, as he claims. What the tape does appear to show is Haramis acting first, grabbing the employee by the upper body or neck, before the employee strikes back.

Below, a sequence of frames of the incident, and the entire clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bistro2

Bistro3

Bistro4

Bistro5

Waatch the tape, AFTER THE JUMP...

The incident in question begins at about 40:25 on the restaurant tape, 1:!0 on the YouTube.

Previously
Man Claims Anti-Gay Assault by Staff of NYC's Corner Bistro [tr]
UPDATE: On the Corner Bistro Gay Bashing [tr]
(thanks, whit)

Comments

1. So specks of dust are self aware and introspective? Oy...bading, you should mayhaps rely on what you're better versed when you're seething with anger and lose control. Profanity.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 8, 2009 6:52:46 PM

2. Tank = Nick or Boyfriend? Get a fucking life. This whole gay bashing is a lie. It's all bout being a drunk pick that comes into a bar and acted like they own the place. Got their asses kick and cry over the Internet. If u have ball the fight back. You are gay but don't be a pussy.

Posted by: Goth | Feb 8, 2009 6:58:44 PM

3. Neither, thankfully, because if that had happened to me, I literally would've twisted that busboy's head off of his neck with my bare hands and shoved up it up his big fat ass.

But another scholarly opinion! Let me do some chavinterpretation. So it's okay that they got their asses kicked because they were annoying customers, but it would also be okay if they did the ass kicking because then they wouldn't be weak... And to top it off (pun intended), one can be gay but not "gay".

And you get a fucking life.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 8, 2009 7:06:50 PM

4. The banter above simply reinforces the point that gay men have maturity issues. Has the gay community as a collective whole become nothing more than men treating others with the same disrespect they experience from bigots?

Posted by: CJ | Feb 8, 2009 7:28:38 PM

5. "In the meantime, gay people are still being EXECUTED in Iran solely for being homosexual and you all are in a tizzy about this incident?"

Point granted, BADING. This is a VERY trivial thing compared to a myriad other real atrocities in the world, but it's quite possible to be unnaturally fascinated with this while still having concern for people who are truly persecuted. I admit that stories like this suck me right in, even tho I've never been to this place, and probably never will. It's easy to get worked up over gay people being mistreated, but it's also easy to get worked up over rude princesses with a false sense of entitlement. I'm not sure what exactly happened here, but I have a pocket of contempt that comes out when I read about rudeness, whoever may be to blame, no matter that such contempt should be reserved for situations that call for real outrage. Human nature. It's easier to rant about banal stuff, but it doesn't necessarily imply that we're all dizzy little queens--or maybe I'm too much of an airhead to recognize my own doom? The reaction to this is more interesting than the actual incident.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 8, 2009 7:39:44 PM

6. Tank it would like to smack you in the face and see you how you feel. Maybe you'll bum rush me like the waiter did. That's if you have the balls.

Posted by: Goth | Feb 8, 2009 8:44:45 PM

7. it looks like the nick had to get between the busboy and his friend before things popped off.

Posted by: trey | Feb 8, 2009 9:19:48 PM

8. I don't like that BF, he has white pointy shoes.

Am I shallow?

Posted by: Willem van Oranje | Feb 8, 2009 9:52:20 PM

9. Willem, no you are not shallow. Tasteful, yes. Shallow, no.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 8, 2009 10:15:14 PM

10. Folks, commenter Tank is only acting as a tool to distract attention away from the story at hand.

Posted by: ben | Feb 8, 2009 11:21:17 PM

11. Tank it would like to smack you in the face and see you how you feel. Maybe you'll bum rush me like the waiter did. That's if you have the balls.

Posted by: Goth | Feb 8, 2009 11:49:17 PM

12. And what is the story at hand? That the video does not categorically clear the restaurant employee of wrongdoing, and that we don't know if this attack was motivated by antigay bias? Ah, the blame at hand, the dismissal at hand. Perhaps I'm distracting people from that... I still don't know given the angle of the camera and that it was already edited... No one here knows who's in the right and who's in the wrong, or if anyone is right or wrong at all. Let's be real skeptics, and not the faux skeptical judgmental queens.

The poster ben is a schmuck.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 9, 2009 12:06:54 AM

13. Oh, but the video *does* categorically clear the restaurant employee: Nick's description of the kerfuffle does not match the video. So why should we believe Nick's description of what was said by the waiter?

Nick tried to use his online bully pulpit to garner sympathy for his bruised ego and make himself into a martyr. Or worse, to harm a popular business.

Next time I come over to NYC, I'll make sure I pay a visit to the Corner Bistro.

And hope to be served by that busboy. He was hot and showed a lot of fire and passion, I like that.

Posted by: Willem van Oranje | Feb 9, 2009 7:17:51 AM

14. Nick is a Dick,
    and Tank is a Skank

Posted by: Argyris | Feb 9, 2009 7:55:26 AM

15. All I have to say is I'm glad the cute guy straightened the table at 41:14. It was beginning to bug me, the way a crooked picture on a wall does.

Now I can rest in peace.

Posted by: Roger That | Feb 9, 2009 9:24:01 AM

16. Excuse me, I meant 41:49.

Unfortunately, the table gets unstraightened again at 45:08.

Damn.

I feel off-kilter again.

Posted by: Roger That | Feb 9, 2009 9:29:26 AM

17. I must be watching different video, or I need a better monitor - what it looks like I'm seeing is the busboy (who I assume is the guy in white) walking into frame with his hand on "pointy shoes" elbow, making him look like he had the first physical contact - after that, the only other thing I can tell is that one guy looks like he's trying to get in between the busboy and pointy-shoes, which to me would imply he was trying to defray an argument. But i honestly can't tell who "threw the first punch"

Posted by: john | Feb 9, 2009 9:43:08 AM

18. HaHa, I went to university with Nick Haramis. Who knew this would be the way I'd hear about him again.

Posted by: bale | Feb 9, 2009 9:45:42 AM

19. John -

The fight happens very quickly, and it's tough to scroll through the youtube video by frames (but it can be done). Andy has done a good job, but if you want to do it yourself take a peek at 40:26, 40:27, 40:28. On those frames, you can see "Nick" reach out and grab the waiter by the neck or upper shirt while he has his hands at his sides. The busboy then shoves him away, and the fight ensues.

Since Nick's written account doesn't match the footage, and since the video appears to show him making the first threatening contact (grabbing throat seems much worse to me than touching an elbow), Occam's razor suggests the most likely explanation is that Nick is lying in his account. Things like bias, right, and wrong are abstractions that no video can answer. But it sure looks like Nick is lying. Perhaps he has an explanation, and if he offers one we should consider that evidence as well.

Although I suppose it's possible that a cabal space aliens who hate Nick Haramis have altered the digital video to frame him.

Posted by: Yeek | Feb 9, 2009 10:17:40 AM

20. At 39:56 the waiter took Nick's drink off the table and Nick went after him. That's what I see in the video. Did Nick finish his drink or was the waiter being a prick by just taking his drink? Looks like thats where it started from.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Feb 9, 2009 12:51:20 PM

21. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=87562636

Cute dog, Tank.

Posted by: Anon | Feb 9, 2009 12:52:24 PM

22. Thanks! Stalker.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 9, 2009 1:20:10 PM

23. No, the angle of the camera and the poor quality of the feed does not clear up much. That's just your opinion. There's no fact to back it up.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 9, 2009 1:27:16 PM

24. Watch the video closely and you will see that the waiter takes a glass off the table and walks to the top left of the screen (the bar?) with it. The person he took the drink away from, gets up and follows him to the bar. The waiter then brings the patron back to the table, holding the patron by the arm. At this point, the other person at the table who is standing after hugging someone, tries to get between the waiter and the first patron, facing the first patron. As soon as the second person gets between them, the waiter shoves the second person. It looks to me like the waiter is entirely to blame for the incident, and should be disciplined.

Posted by: huisky14620 | Feb 9, 2009 1:32:47 PM

25. i agree with husky. the waiter is dragging him back into the frame by his arm. though grabbing the waiter by the neck isn't a good response. we have no idea what was said here and that counts for alot.

Posted by: ryan | Feb 9, 2009 2:01:32 PM