Jim Carrey Too Convincing at Gay Sex for U.S. Audiences?

Michael Musto has the goods on why the Jim Carrey – Ewan McGregor prison romance I Love You, Phillip Morris is having a hard time finding a distributor in the U.S. Musto talked to Lewis Tice of TLA, who has seen the film:

Carrey_mcGregor
"The scene is not shocking in the sense that any body
parts are actually revealed–both actors are nude, but the way the
scene is shot, no pickle is on display. The surprising part is that the
'bottom' is this muscle, bearish type, who is on all fours, getting a
really hard pounding by Carey (sic). It was mostly the tone and my perception
of Carey as an actor, just because I never looked at Carey in a sexual
manner and he was so dedicated to giving it to the muscle-bear and the
sexual tone was authentic, it caught me off guard. I eventually got
over it and I think Carey is convincingly fantastic in the film. But I
think most folks are used to seeing Ewan McGregor naked and engaging in
man-on-man sex, but Carey, not so much. So more power to him for going
there."

I posted last week that folks are saying the film may go straight to DVD.

Comments

1. Strepsi says

JoeMyGod’s comment on his blog nails a lot of what is wrong with the U.S.: violence is great, gay sex can;t even get a distributer. The U.S. has never gotten over its puritanism. When you think that the entire country’s media went nuts for six months over Janet Jackson’s nipple — not just the entertainment media, but the hard news media! — it is hard enough to even touch sex in the U.S., and gay sex even more so. Meanwhile here in Quebec Diane Dufresne’s greatest hits album and poster had her bare breasts, and Denys Arcand’s Oscar-winning “Decline of the American Empire” movie poster was a graffiti of breasts and a cock.

They should shelve this film til December and do a slow roll out in NY and LA as an Oscar-bait campaign for Carey because the Academy looooves how ‘brave’ you have to be to play a homo.

2. Chris says

Yeah, and Alexander tanked because of homophobia and not because it was a big old crappy mess of a movie.

Everything I’ve heard about this flick makes it sound embarrassingly bad and offensive, so I’m going to go out on a limb and call horseshit on the “homophobia killed my movie” defense.

3. Tom says

“The film is currently being re-edited in a last ditch attempt to find an American distributor. If it fails to do so, it will go straight to DVD.”

How can this happen in 2009? I’m incredulous.
    I think it has more to do with the kind of more “family” audience Carrey is likely to attract – in distributers’ eyes.

Fear of a backlash?

4. Marie says

Myabe the movie is just bad despite Ewan and Jim. It happens you know. And if it’s a bad film that fact combined with the homosexual nature is enough to ensure a straight to dvd. Too bad. I appreciate the fact he was willing to stretch his chops. More than most actors are willing or able to do.

5. Angel says

No, it is plain and simply the understanding that US society is not ready for Jim Carrey to be viewed as gay. It is hard to understand why we as a country support and pay for extremely costly violence (expression of hate?) but seem appalled by gay sex (expression of love).

6. Jennifer says

The trailer makes it look like a subtle way of making fun of gay people, honestly. Maybe that’s what really happened to the person the movie is based on, but dude who worked at a church gets hit by a car, becomes gay, starts dressing flamboyantly and becomes a con artist? A little campy there.

Pretty much, it looks like a terrible movie.

Also, I’m not sure Carrey really has a “family audience.” Last time I checked, he had no audience except maybe 10 years ago. Oh I’m mean.

But yeah, silly that it’s not getting any distributors, which may or may not be because of the gay aspects of the film involving Carrey, which is ridiculous considering how many blowjobs were in Milk. However, Milk was a great movie whereas this one looks pretty bad.

True that the U.S. has its priorities mixed up obsessing over Janet Jackson’s nipple and violence, but fears some gay sex that you can’t actually see.

7. d says

this was great i thought. i saw it at a festival and loved it. it was shocking in parts, but hysterical. i can see how parts would be controversial and jolting for people. but overall i thought it was a rather wonderful film and i wouldn’t criticize either performer in their role. in fact i would praise them both for their performances regardless of subject matter. they brought the characters to life. it was very lively. it was creative, so in an independent film sort of way i can see how it would be jarring. the ‘graphic sex’ is of course warrant for an r rating, but it isn’t graphic nudity. it should definitely go to indep. film houses throughout the country at least. but i would love to see it get wider release.

8. Tom says

From the trailers the movie looks to be hysterical. Rodrigo Santoro (who is hot!hot!hot!) and Leslie Mann (who is the funniest woman in Hollywood) are also in it. Can’t wait for it to open.

9. 10 4 Kojack says

His Highness Prince Charles, said that he sleeps with his teddy-bear, quite close; How sweet is that ? And remember when Pee-wee Herman, obliged under oath, told His Honor the Judge, how to spank the monkey ?
    Then why should’nt $teven Russell toss his willy wonka too ???