Gay Slurs | Magazines | Michelangelo Signorile | News

Esquire's Tongue-in-Cheek Guide to Using the Word 'Faggot'

Esquire

A short piece from Esquire's guide on "How to be a Man" which Michelangelo Signorile points out will be explained away by their editors as "tongue in cheek" when the PC-police come along.

However, he notes: "But as a listener to the show pointed out to me when he tipped me off to the piece, would they use the 'n'-word even in a half-joking manner? And how much are they really joking here? Why is it necessary to use the word 'faggot' unless they like debasing those annoying homos at least a teensy weensy bit, getting off on the hot hate words? (They think "cocksucker" is a good one too.)"

Signorile has a Scribd version of their guide up at his site.

Comments

1. You'll notice that most of the curses, including faggot, are propped up by a really nasty form of misogyny. Fags and feminists need to be on each other side.

Posted by: wreck | Apr 10, 2009 9:37:58 AM

2. I actually subscribe to Esquire magazine but I won't be renewing - it's just become a really poor men's magazine and a parody of itself. I find I can read a whole issue in literally 10 minutes - hasn't been anything of interest in months in there. And the 'How To Be A Man' issue which I read last night was the worst to date - the article about 'things a man should own' was laughable and like something out of the 1950's. To cap it all off there's a front cover featuring George Clooney and the issue doesn't even feature an interview with him! Esquire used to be such a good read - with some really great pieces - but over the last year it's become completely uninteresting - an endless parade of articles about Iraq, the best bars / restaurants in America and 'how to buy a suit' style pieces.

Posted by: Richie | Apr 10, 2009 9:46:59 AM

3. All of these curse words describe women, Gay men and generally stupid people.

We need some curse words that specifically describe and are meant to demean heterosexual men.

Posted by: Mark | Apr 10, 2009 10:07:18 AM

4. Like "mouth-breather" or "knuckle-dragger"?

Posted by: chadnyc | Apr 10, 2009 10:14:07 AM

5. While still foolishly tilting at too many other windmills, I finally gave up trying to convince people, particularly other gays, to stop using expressions like "that sucks" and "pain in the ass" because they derive from homohating.

And, yes, this tired article is but fresh proof that gays remain the distinct minority about which it is still socially acceptable to ubiquitously slur and demean.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Apr 10, 2009 10:19:18 AM

6. To be honest I would be offended if someone insisted that I was straight so I get how 'gay' can be an insult but it only really works if you are sure of the other person's sexual orientation.
    Ok, 'fag' and 'faggot' really aren't favorites of mine since I think the original meaning is stuff you burn but gay or homo is stupid to use as an insult (to me anyway)...

Posted by: Morten G | Apr 10, 2009 10:31:10 AM

7. This faggot has contacted Esquire magazine to inform the editors that I will not be purchasing a two-year subscription as planned. I also informed them that I won't even read their magazine for free at the public library.

Posted by: JohnnieB | Apr 10, 2009 11:24:05 AM

8. *Waits patiently for some self-loathing loser to come along and tell us to "lighten up, it's just a word."*

Posted by: Meanwhile | Apr 10, 2009 12:36:43 PM

9. I stopped reading Esquire gosh, maybe ten years ago or more when they did an issue of straight camp vs gay camp. Among the five greatest moments in "straight" history were The Confederacy and Ike Turner.

That did it for me.

Posted by: BMF | Apr 10, 2009 1:43:42 PM

10. i gave up on Esquire way back when they had the language person and homophobe, john simon, disdaining the use of 'gay' by homosexuals. clearly, he wanted to be gay in the traditional sense, as in the gay '90s (the 1890s).

no matter how you slice it, their use of faggot as a pejorative is no longer acceptable, and neither shall be their resort to half-assed apologies. what is bad about political correctness, really? it only means that you are conscious of other ethnic and minority sensibilities.

this is not "how to be a man", this is how to be a coward who will resort to the last haven of clueless straights -- homophobia.

Posted by: nic | Apr 10, 2009 1:50:19 PM

11. That article is boring. Not funny.

The magazine will fold by the end of this year anyway. Don't give them attention or publicity and prolong that.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 10, 2009 2:07:01 PM

12. I stopped subscribing when the (now) editor came into office there a few years ago. It's not the magazine it used to be by ANY means. In the 80s they were actually somewhat gay-friendly and had extremely good writing. That has all gone by the wayside. Now it's just fodder propping up expensive watch and cologne ads.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 10, 2009 6:59:46 PM

13. This is Esquire? It seems more like National Lampoon in the seventies. Lame. Offensive? Maybe. Juvenile? Probably. Stupid? Definitely.

Posted by: seananomie | Apr 10, 2009 10:45:06 PM

14. I thought the target audience for Esquire was straight men which would explain the poor quality of the item presented here. It doesn't even make sense.

Straight men don't read fashion magazines, do they? No wonder Esquire is doomed. A "real man" wouldn't be caught dead holding on to an Esquire.

Posted by: jessejames | Apr 10, 2009 10:58:02 PM

15. LOL richie you are so right, I have given up on that rag to because I could read it in ten minutes, so boring!

Posted by: jay | Apr 12, 2009 11:18:48 AM

16. Hearst is sucking wind big time with all their magazines, which is sad because I loves me my Tanya.....er, Patty.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER | Apr 13, 2009 8:44:28 AM

17. I received the same apology when I sent them an email regarding this story.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 14, 2009 5:54:07 PM

18. Wow, so sick of this bullshit. I definitely agree with wreck. Why are all of the slurs thought of as acceptable to use in popular culture slanted against women and gays again...?

F*CKING BULLSHIT.