Adam Lambert | American Idol | David Hernandez | Michael Musto | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Former Idol David Hernandez Knows Adam Lambert 'From the Scene'

Lambert_hernandez

Michael Musto ran into former American Idol contestant/stripper David Hernandez at New York's Beige nightclub. Hernandez talked to Musto about Adam Lambert, gays, and American Idol, and why he was voted off: "It wasn't the stripper thing. It was the gay thing. That's Middle America for you."

Hernandez also said he's a friend of Lambert's "from the scene." What scene? The black nails scene? The Arizona stripper scene? The closeted Idol scene? Inquiring minds want to know.

In any case, since we haven't had the Wednesday Lambert fix, watch his typically over the top performance of "Born to Be Wild" on last night's show, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Great performance!

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Apr 15, 2009 2:33:33 PM

2. So is Hernandez out? I thought he said he wasn't gay and just worked in gay clubs.

He's so freaking hot.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 15, 2009 2:35:59 PM

3. Oh, and Adam was the only decent performer on last night's show. Anoop was ok. The rest sucked.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 15, 2009 2:36:56 PM

4. He's lost. He's got way too much talent and can survive without the "Idol" backing.

I predict he'll make it to the top two and in an effort to extract the most cash from the contests contestants, they'll contract him in at number 2 in a win/win scenario where he's not beholden to them and can move on down the line without encumbrance and make it on his own.

Let's face it, HE'S THAT GOOD!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 15, 2009 2:38:27 PM

5. No, David, it wasn't "the gay thing." It was the shitty singer with zero charisma thing.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 15, 2009 2:44:18 PM

6. He is so freakin' fantastic and one of the few performers of recent memory that I would actually pay to see because you know you would get a REAL show and be entertained (and not lipsynched to).

He's like the bastard baby of Elvis, Prince, Axl and Freddie Mercury (with some Frankenfurter mixed in just for shits and giggles).

Let's hope America gets it right and votes for Change we can believe in.

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 15, 2009 2:58:14 PM

7. Obviously, the over-singing scene. Adam has a lot of talent, but he's going to sound like Marianne Faithful by age 35 if he doesn't learn to resist the urge to overtax his voice all the time.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 15, 2009 3:05:02 PM

8. adam is head and shoulders above everyone else this season. that david hernandez, though, is one hot mo.

Posted by: nic | Apr 15, 2009 3:22:22 PM

9. I just found his BTBW a mess, but there's no denying he has vocal skills. The ending reminded me of Deep Purple tho.

I prefer Alison out of the group in terms of vocals.

Posted by: Lito S. | Apr 15, 2009 3:26:42 PM

10. MARC- they actually force all the finalists to sign contracts before they are inthe final group. The producers of Idol/Fuller/19 can enforce record contracts with anyone in the final 12(13) if they so choose.

I agree with CRISPY, David wasn't a good singer and lacked charisma. I do love that photo of him.

Posted by: Dan B | Apr 15, 2009 3:40:05 PM

11. about the scene

so yeah, it's basically the "emo" black nail polish scene.

Posted by: t.i. | Apr 15, 2009 3:52:01 PM

12. Rontex has it right about the bastard baby thing. Adam's that good. Rock on!

Posted by: Brandon | Apr 15, 2009 4:01:40 PM

13. I agree, not the gay thing with David, it was the lack of charisma thing and the desperation thing (I seem to recall an awkward attempt at being a not-gay rocker that rang very false). As performers, they're in totally different scenes, and leagues. Adam may not be shouting that he's gay on the show, but, unlike David, he basically outs himself with every performance and has wisely avoided trying to be something he's not. I also suspect, as a musical theater vet, that he knows how to protect his voice. Much as I adore Marianne Faithfull, she wasn't exactly singing arias even before the drugs and cig's gloriously wrecked her 5-note range.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 15, 2009 4:12:43 PM

14. David was voted off because he wasn't a very good singer, and his performances always came across as phony. It had nothing to do with his sexuality. I think Adam Lambert has proved that point.

Posted by: David in Houston | Apr 15, 2009 4:26:58 PM

15. I think if anything, being a big gay stripper HELPED Hernandez. I mean it was obvious he was gay before that came out, he was way too pretty and polished (looks wise). I remember his last performance on the show just want any good.

Posted by: Tracy | Apr 15, 2009 5:34:17 PM

16. I think Rock of Ages would love to have Adam as a cast member.

Posted by: Bruce | Apr 15, 2009 5:55:35 PM

17. How's Clay Aiken doing these days??

Posted by: anon | Apr 15, 2009 6:07:28 PM

18. @ERNIE,

you said, "Much as I adore Marianne Faithfull, she wasn't exactly singing arias even before the drugs and cig's gloriously wrecked her 5-note range."

ditto on that. the combination of the drugs, alcohol, cigs, and who knows what else, gave her voice a gritty, been-there-done-that sensibility without robbing her of her poignancy. the girl is still kicking it.

adam has a gift. no doubt about it. i am not one to begrudge anyone's talent.

Posted by: nic | Apr 15, 2009 6:10:37 PM

19. For sure, Nic. Marianne still has it going on. I saw her perform in Montreal a few years ago and she kept asking, Are you bored yet? Cause if you're bored I'll just call it a night. No one was bored.

Though their voices are VERY different, I think Ms. Faithfull would probably heartily approve of Adam. The boy isn't boring.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 15, 2009 8:01:17 PM

20. i agree with crispy, david is not talented at least with singing but his body is hot and made for stripping

Posted by: mike | Apr 15, 2009 8:39:42 PM

21. I think he means the, "He came into the bar one night and put a dollar in my manties" scene.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Apr 15, 2009 9:01:23 PM

22. I'll probably get fire-bombed for this, but:

can we please have a moratorium on posting about this kid everyday?

Posted by: RP | Apr 15, 2009 10:43:33 PM

23. So my fiance and I are the only ones who are not fans of Adam. He is corny, banshee like and just to much. His choice on the most obvious songs to Adam-ify is also very grating. For me it's Chris Allan all the way. But then again I am not a tween or easily bowled over like most, I guess.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 16, 2009 1:25:40 AM

24. I'm not a tween too. I was contently going along with traditional easy going songs until ADAM LAMBERT comes along and blast me off my feet.

Life has not been the same again. I do not have the chance to meet the phenomenal Elvis. But I've read that Adam is reminded of him. I'm so lucky to experience Adam's process. I believe that he will be a worldwide phenomenon.

He can sing ballad better
    He can rock better
    He can sing soul better
    He can perform better
    He does everything bigger and better.
    He can make me feel better, even in the midst of my pay cut.

He keeps updating and changing his looks. Its just astounding.

His talents outshines everything. He is the next ADAM LAMBERT. The one and only.

Posted by: Lynn | Apr 16, 2009 4:50:03 AM

25. SCOTT,

well aren't you and your fiance special, i guess.

Posted by: nic | Apr 16, 2009 9:10:12 AM