Gay Marriage | Human Rights Campaign | Iowa | Joe Solmonese | News

HRC's Joe Solmonese and Iowa Rep. Steve King on Marriage Equality

Solmonese_king

Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese debated Iowa Rep. Steve King on CNN last night over the recent same-sex marriage victories in Vermont and Iowa. As I mentioned previously, King released a panicked statement following the Iowa Supreme Court decision warning that the state would become a "gay marriage Mecca" and has also threatened to run against Governor Chet Culver, who yesterday stated his opposition to amending the Iowa constitution, in 2012.

King made his intent clearly known on CNN: "I want to amend this constitution as quickly as we can."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. They can scream for a constitutional amendment all they want, it will be UN constitutional if the state has an equal protection clause because it results in a constitutional conflict.

This is well known in the LGBT advocacy circles, however there is reluctance to go to court over these amendments.

Posted by: qjersey | Apr 8, 2009 12:39:37 PM

2. Yup, another Repug politician who's failing his civics class.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 8, 2009 12:52:10 PM

3. They're scared.

Posted by: www.gaygregator.com | Apr 8, 2009 1:16:32 PM

4. The times are changing and we cannot go back now! We will see civil marriage in my lifetime and that was something I was afraid would never happen.

Posted by: RB | Apr 8, 2009 1:20:03 PM

5. I noticed how Steve King didn't respond to the statement about how judges have made civil rights decisions in the past, even when the public wasn't ready for them. I would love for him to talk about Canada having gay marriage for the past four years. I can only wonder what clever comment he would spew out of his homophobic mouth.

Posted by: David in Houston | Apr 8, 2009 2:01:08 PM

6. Why do they keep using the term "same-sex marriage" That's not the issue!

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Apr 8, 2009 2:45:00 PM

7. Based on the congressman's stance, the US supreme court ruling on interracial marriages should be repealed because it was the courts making laws and not the legislature. I wonder how people would feel if there were amendments in every state to change each states' constitution to ban interracial marriages and roll back the clock on civil rights to 1960.

Posted by: mattk | Apr 8, 2009 2:45:39 PM

8. I like how King says "We're the victims here". Victims of what exactly? I really want to know what is lost by opponents of same sex marriage. No one has ever been able to answer that question.
    And I have never seen so much question dodging in my life. Clearly King is just looking to put himself in a unique political position to run for a neo conservative Governor.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Apr 8, 2009 3:05:35 PM

9. Steve King is an embrassment to Iowa. Now Rants of Iowa might run for governor too. Neither are ready for prime time.

If my future wife and I were ready for this important social step, I would get married on the 27th. But we take marriage more seriously then say Brittney or Newt.

Posted by: Mary from Iowa | Apr 8, 2009 3:57:56 PM

10. aiden: its central to the whole political being of the right to portray themselves as "victims". even though the right-wing has every advantage and privilege already ensconced in law and policy to protect and defend their interests, any attempt to open up that privilege to others is viewed as an affront. it all stems back to their ultimate victim - Jesus on the cross. misunderstood, singled out, and victimized by the powerless and downtrodden - yep, a message that the original evangelical Christian wouldn't be able to fathom.

it's about time for the right to appreciate real victimhood.

Posted by: brian | Apr 8, 2009 7:21:27 PM

11. As important as it is to see the greasy faces of the Iowa opposition, I really would like to see even one photo of a happy gay or lesbian couple preparing for the big marriage day.

Posted by: Grego | Apr 9, 2009 12:02:57 PM