Gay Marriage | News | Stephen Colbert

National Organization for Marriage Thanks Colbert, Slams Schmidt

Having one's presumably serious morally righteous juggernaut labeled an "internet camp classic" and ridiculed in dozens of YouTube parodies has to have rattled the collective psyche of the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage.

Gallagher They issued a couple of press releases on Friday. The first (link goes to NOM) "thanked" Stephen Colbert for relentlessly mocking the "Gathering Storm" ad.

Said President Maggie Gallagher: "I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure."

Added Executive Director Brian Brown: "Thank you Stephen for playing our ad in full on national television—for free. HRC eat your heart out. Plus we all had a great chuckle, too! Where can I make a donation to the National Organization for Colbert?"

Brown Did Brown see the commercial we did?

But former McCain advisor Steve Schmidt, who spoke over the weekend to the Log Cabin Republicans and stated his support for marriage equality, got under their skin (link to NOM).

Said Brown: "Steven Schmidt? Isn’t this the guy who ran a failed presidential campaign, who advised a failed governor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) who insiders say was recently fired by Meg Whitman? Sure, we can understand why Steve would be looking for a way to make some new friends—but why would anyone take his advice on how to win elections at this point?"

Comments

1. "I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure."

WOW. That. is. priceless.

Posted by: Quint King | Apr 20, 2009 3:39:14 PM

2. If Brian Brown is straight, I'm Tallulah Bankhead. I never believed in gayface until I saw that picture.

Posted by: Bruce | Apr 20, 2009 4:09:12 PM

3. It's time to tax the Stupid people and lets start with these two and while we're at it, lets collect back taxes as well.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Apr 20, 2009 4:24:35 PM

4. Of course these bigots just got it! Satire and the comprehension of sarcasm require more than the three narrow-minded brain cells that they possess between the two of them. Colbert's is an equal opportunity muckraker and that's why we love him.

And seriously, props to all those that called out what everyone should already know: BRIAN BROWN has major gayface (or doucheface at the least)! He is a white-washed all-American guy who has probably never struggled for anything in his life. Is tolerance not considered a virtue anymore?

Posted by: Mikey T | Apr 20, 2009 4:40:50 PM

5. omg, look at her picture ...why does that bullfrog face look so familiar? IT'S DELORES UMBRIDGE! (book version, not film)

Posted by: mike in nyc | Apr 20, 2009 4:41:21 PM

6. 2 words for Mr. Brown:

Gay. Face.

Yep. He's got it.

Posted by: Derek in Madison | Apr 20, 2009 6:10:41 PM

7. ME-OW Miss Brown! I think you've confused sarcasm and wit.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 20, 2009 6:11:51 PM

8. "I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure."

This statement says more about her than about Colbert. What kind of nut would you have to be to think that Stephen's character is a real conservative?

Posted by: Ray | Apr 20, 2009 9:12:37 PM

9. Didn't Mrs. Gallagher ever see Stephen naked in his cowboy boots? I have....

Posted by: Stephanie C | Apr 21, 2009 11:08:49 AM

10. Colbert is "pretending to pretend to be a conservative?"

I think sarcasm is a foreign vocabulary to this lady. Her life must be so dull ....

Posted by: Elaine | May 1, 2009 3:31:15 PM