Catholic Church | Crime | Desperate Housewives | Gay Marriage | Hugh Jackman | Indonesia | Isaac Mizrahi | John Barrowman | Johnny Weir | Lindsay Lohan | Maryland | Nature | News | North Carolina | Orlando Bloom | Somalia | Television | Transgender

News: Johnny Weir, Maryland, Nicolette Sheridan, True Blood, Bush

roadKiller withdraws "guilty" plea in Ryan Keith Skipper murder case. The plea bargain would have spared William Brown Jr. the death penalty. Brown is now scheduled to go on trial October 12.

Jackmanmilk  roadJackman's got milk.

roadNicolette Sheridan bitchslaps Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry.

roadFigure skater Johnny Weir to be subject of reality show: "The half-hour 'Be Good Johnny Weir' will follow its subject, his coach, choreographers and hangers-on as they ready for the 2010 Winter Games. Sundance has ordered eight episodes of the series, which is produced by Endemol's Original Media."

roadMaryland General Assembly approves tax breaks for domestic partners: "The bill adds same-sex domestic partners to the list of family members who can inherit homes without paying taxes on that property."

roadJohn Barrowman wants to be a dad: "We really would like to be parents. I'm extremely broody and emotional right now. I think this year will be the year Scott and I look into making something happen. We're trying to work out whether to take the adoption route or something else. he other night I went to see Jason Donovan in Priscilla Queen Of The Desert and I was in floods of tears watching the scenes between him and his son."

roadTrue Blood is on its way back to Bon Temps.

Devera  roadTrans drag performer murdered in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

roadNew Archbishop of England and Wales Vincent Nichols on gay relationships: ""I will always be happy as a guide to stick with Pope Benedict..Homosexuality - is it a sin? Homosexuality is not a sin. A person who is of a homosexual orientation is as worthy and as dignified as anybody else and one of the things I regret about our society is that it tends to identify people by their sexual orientation and that is a diminishing of a person. "Nobody should be put in a box because of their sexuality."

roadDemocracy Now: Somali piracy originally began because of illegal fishing and toxic dumping by Western ships off the coast.

roadLindsay Lohan eggs on the paparazzi.

roadBUSH SIX: Former Bush administration officials may face torture charges in Spain — Alberto Gonzales is among them. Video.

Bloom  roadOrlando Bloom is Main Street's finest.

roadNew orangutan population numbering up to 2,000 found in Indonesia: "A team surveying forests nestled between jagged, limestone cliffs on the eastern edge of Borneo island counted 219 orangutan nests, indicating a 'substantial' number of the animals, said Erik Meijaard, a senior ecologist at the U.S.-based The Nature Conservancy."

roadIsaac Mizrahi is a slob: "It takes a lot of effort for me to look this put together. If I had my way, I would sit on the couch all day and eat ice cream and go to pieces with my dogs because that is the ultimate luxury to sit and watch TV with one's dogs. I don't get time enough to do that. My boyfriend thinks I'm a little nuts because that's all I want to do on my time off and he's bored with that. He wants to go to India or something, but I'm not doing that, it's too late for India.""

Comments

1. To the Archbishop of England and Wales, I sincerely hope that the Vatican pays into some sort of unemployment because I think you're going to need it.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 15, 2009 4:08:05 PM

2. John Barrowman wants to be a dad:

Oh John how could you?!

Posted by: Hoss | Apr 15, 2009 4:26:02 PM

3. "Roman Catholic Archbishop of England and Wales" isn't anybody's title - that's not even a thing. It's good that you post about the church, but you do get basic facts wrong (e.g., referring to Most Holy Redeemer as Archbishop Niederauer's parish.)

Posted by: Emerson | Apr 15, 2009 4:39:14 PM

4. Thank you

ANDY

"Democracy Now: Somali piracy originally began because of illegal fishing and toxic dumping by Western ships off the coast."

The issue is not as cut and dry as it is played out in the media.

I might personaly prefer peaceful protests etc but I am sitting healthy and well fed in a western nation unlike those who have come to be labeled somali pirates

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Apr 15, 2009 4:49:32 PM

5. Can't wait for True Blood to return! Please don't let Lafayette be dead.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 15, 2009 5:06:39 PM

6. JimmyBoyo,

Nor is the issue as cut and dry as the far far left media would have it. Not every rag tag criminal group has some lofty, admirable goal. Are we dumping chemicals, nuclear waste, and toxic materials in the sea there? I don't know.

Bravo for not just swallowing the media line. But why swallow Democracy Now's or the Independent's? I'm a bit skeptical. According to the pirates, we are dumping pretty serious crap in the water, yet at the same time depleting their fishing stores. Why would we dump nuclear waste in the water and then eat the fish from there? Something strikes me as odd there.

And the Somali pirates aren't using that ransom money for clean-up patrols or to better their citizenry. They are propping up foul Islamist groups and buying heavy weaponry. They get little support from me.

_______________________

And, plus, Spain should stay out of the business of prosecuting American officials. 1) They aren't prosecuting anyone who did anything bad, but rather those who *argued* for actions deemed by the Spanish to be illegal. 2) Spain has closed off files of its own fascist past during Franco's reign of terror yet has no problem prosecuting everyone else's bad deeds. And forget 400 years of genocide in the Americas. Many in Spain refuse to acknowledge they did anything wrong there.

Posted by: Brad | Apr 15, 2009 6:52:41 PM

7. JimmyBoyo,

_______________________

Posted by: Brad | Apr 15, 2009 6:54:13 PM

8. Madrid claims it has jurisdiction because some of detainees who were tortured had Spanish citizenship. Of course, that proposition is problematic in and of itself. Generally, you have to obey the laws of the country you're in regardless of nationality. Although the detainees in question had Spanish passports, they were arrested in the Middle East and then transported to Guantanamo from those countries.

What these judges in Spain are saying is that they have extra-territorial authority. And they're basing that authority on various United Nations treaties and Geneva conventions (international law).

I think that is a bit of a stretch legally. But since they aren't actually seeking extradition, any arrest warrants would amount to little more than a banning of these Bush officials from Spain. It is doubtful any of these people have a compelling need to travel there any way.

Posted by: John in CA | Apr 15, 2009 7:21:55 PM

9. Why would a gay man who wants to adopt say something like, "I'm extremely broody and emotional right now"? That's just asinine.

As for Spain, they've tried people from around the world for quite a while now, with some success(for a while they were keen on Latin American dictators).

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2009 7:32:05 PM

10. paul

Did you catch my appology for confusing you with another Paul "initial" in the other thread?

-----------------

brad

Europe is dumping the toxic and nuke waste

China is poaching the surviving fish. Whether China is feeding it to its populace and or selling it to us americans isn't fully known. China in the past didn't have problems selling toxic toys to the US till they were busted on it

I am sure there are now nefarious individuals pirating off the coast of Somalia. The situation started in the early 90's = a decade and 1/2+ later there are definitely less than noble FREE SOMALI COAST GUARD former fishermen.

We removed the somali gov under Clinton but due to repub pressure about "nation building" we pulled out without establishing a stable gov beyond a few local warlords fighting each other. the lack of a gov to appeal to the UN and or retaliate against the dumpers is a huge problem.

Supposedly the Somali Free Coast Guard "pirates" have finally caught a freighter while in the act of dumping and are holding the toxic canisters for UN inspectors to come check it out.

It would appear that the big PR blitz due to what happened between them and the US has drawn a lot of attention.

-----------
    If you want you can do an internet search to find other sources besides lefty ones. :-) There are tons of reports on the details about the pirates not being exactly what we think

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Apr 15, 2009 9:21:09 PM

11. JimmyBoyo,

I've heard accusations, not evidence. Regardless, if I accept this as fact, it wouldn't explain hostage taking and pirating by Somalis towards Americans or others not involved.

If the Somalian coast is being ruined by Chinese, Europeans, etc., that doesn't necessitate that the pirates are acting in order to safeguard the resources. If my memory serves me right, they are acting from a region of Somalia called "Puntland" which essentially has no functioning government. It would seem to me that the pirating is a result of outlaws using the lack of government to make a few bucks.

Their arsenals don't strike me as eco-warriors, but rather profiteers. Reports over months have also pointed to very wealthy pirates amassing small little fiefdoms with over-armed security, luxury items in one of the world's poorest countries, and tons of women. They are not Robin Hood. Also, other news sources (on both the left and the right) tie many of these pirates to Islamist and terror groups like Al-Qaeda.

I agree about the PR blitz you mention, though I don't think it will work in their favor. They have engaged in piracy largely because it works. People pay up, and they generally don't kill or torture their hostages, hence the sound "business" they have set up. Now that they have had a worldwide-broadcast standoff, they might be in more trouble as many nations are eager to get rid of them.

Good points, though, and pretty interesting, JB.

Posted by: Brad | Apr 15, 2009 9:42:34 PM

12. Yes, Jimmyboyo, I saw your apology. All is forgiven.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to follow my names on this site. I started as Paul perhaps three years ago, then another Paul started commenting. So then I started using my full (real) name, and someone started stalking me---posting links to my profiles on social networking sites and emailing me relentlessly. So then I went to Paul R, and another Paul and then Paul C joined. I've met so few Pauls in my life that I was quite surprised. Seems like most of the other Pauls are indeed conservative, so I can understand your confusion.

That said, I'll wait to see the outcome on the Somali pirates. Sounds to me like a bunch of guys who have realized easy pickings and have no government with international links to answer to. The connections among these gangs of pirates remain quite unclear, and I doubt that the $1-2 million ransoms they charge are doing more than lining the pockets of a few. Somalia is a lawless, violent place, and I suspect that Amnesty Intl, Human Rights Watch, and a host of other NGOs and international organizations would be willing to back up their claims justifying piracy were they accurate. Instead this is the first news of it, presumably in response to French and U.S. forces taking out kidnappers.

Sorry, but if the kidnappers had noble aims, they could have publicized them in far better ways. The piracy isn't exactly new. The defenses are.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 15, 2009 10:45:12 PM

13. The surest way to remove the hotness from a guy is to put him in a cop uniform.

Posted by: Miles | Apr 16, 2009 7:51:40 AM

14. @MILES,

orlando is cute as hell in that photo. and, what better fantasy is there than fucking the oppressor in the ass?

JIMMYBOYO,

let's not over-think this, my friend. you are forming philosophical alliances that i do not subscribe to.

back to the subject. yes, we westerners may have poisoned the waters. and, perhaps, we may have set in motion a series of events that led to the thievery of somali pirates. but, are we supposed to feel guilty about the failed state of Somalia? in retrospect, what could we have done differently? i know all about Mogadishu. but what can one do about a country that is adamant about destroying itself?

answer me that and i will give you an open-mouthed kiss. i think that i will never pay off on that debt. but, it is not for lack of trying, jimmy.

Posted by: nic | Apr 16, 2009 10:23:09 AM