You Gotta Give Em Postage: Milk Stamp Effort Launched

Milkstamp

The Bay Area Reporter on efforts to have a postage stamp issued featuring artist Jim Leff's portrait of Harvey Milk:

"Daniel Drent, an openly gay man who lives in Cincinnati, is
coordinating the effort to convince the U.S. Postal Service's Citizens' Stamp
Advisory Committee to issue a Milk stamp. He would like to have approval of the
stamp to coincide with what would have been Milk's 80th birthday on May 22 in
2010. Should the committee select the Milk stamp next year, it would not be
released until 2012 at the earliest. 'I think this proposed version of the stamp is a
wonderful representation of Harvey. It shows his charm and personality in his
face, and the rainbow colors for the USA, signify the LGBT movement,'
wrote Drent in an e-mail after being shown Leff's artwork. 'I would be
thrilled to submit this design to the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee when I
submit the letter to request this long deserved honor for Harvey Milk.' …This is the second time a push has been made to see
a Milk stamp be issued. In 2005 San Francisco's 11-member Board of Supervisors
unanimously passed a resolution calling on the postmaster general to issue a
Milk stamp."

Comments

1. my2cents says

@jonny:

one would think that if the stamp is issued in 2010 or 2012, that the rate would be current FIRST class postage, rather than the insult you’re getting from the proposed design shown.

2. Paul R says

Seems more like the artist just doesn’t know how much a stamp costs. For a moment I thought this was supposed to be a historical amount, but I think in the late 70s a stamp cost 13 cents.

3. PatrickPatrick says

Pretty boring design. Doesn’t really convey any of the passion of his campaign.

4. says

I maybe prejudice… but I prefer an image that is a photograph, not a recreation. I believe that a couple of my images convey Harvey’s message. They were both taken on “Orange Tuesday” 6/7/77. That is the date that Anita Bryant forces lead an anti-gay vote, to overturned a gay rights ordinance at Dade County Florida.

Across the country in San Francisco, Harvey Milk lead an impromptu march from the Castro to downtown’s Union Square. It was there, I took an iconic, and historic photograph of Harvey, with a candle in one hand, and a bullhorn in the other… and in the background a sign “SAVE OUR RIGHTS”… and that became an important moment, because it became a footnote in gay history, and gave the gay right movement…movement! The following frame is not as well known… but because of the “MILK” movie, that introduced Harvey Milk and that era… in gay rights history to millions of people of all ages, both gay and straight,here in America and around the world… I believe it could be the most important image of Harvey Milk… it is similar to the “SAVE OUR RIGHTS” photo, except the back of the sign is showing, and it say’s “NOW!” And Harvey Milk is forever”NOW!” in the cause for gay rights. Those photos can be found at
    jerrypritikin.blogspot.com and of course, I would make either one the photos, available to honor Harvey Milk as a U.S.postage stamp.

5. LD says

The 32¢ is pretty lame. Why didn’t they propose Milk’s image on a three dollar bill, for full poetic insult?

6. says

There is nothing insulting about a figure being on a stamp. Many Icons have had postage stamps- Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Elvis etc…
    It would be amazing to have Harvey Milk as a stamp!

7. TANK says

….that’s a really, really big nose…romanticize it, please. And yeah, get rid of that rainbow flag, for chrissakes.

8. Sacgary says

TO those that are being snarky about the 32¢ postage… it is obvious to anyone with a brain the drawing was made before the postage hikes.

The 32¢ would undoubtedly be changed to whatever the current postage will be at issue.

I agree there are a bunch of snarky, bitter old queens on this post.

9. Jack says

I agree, totally, in supporting a commemorative stamp in honor of Harvey Milk.

I believe lobbying for this particular artwork will hurt its chances of being approved.

Let’s push for the idea, not the art.