Obama Clueless About Promise Gays Want Him to Keep?

Obama made note fun of the LGBT protestors outside the Beverly Hilton hotel when he spoke at the DNC Benefit held there last night. The NYT reports:

Obamabevhill "A gaggle of sign-waving protestors milled around outside The Beverly
Hilton, the sprawling hotel on Wilshire Boulevard. They must have
caught the president’s eye when he arrived at the hotel from an earlier
stop in Las Vegas because he relayed one of their messages to the crowd.

"'One of them said, 'Obama keep your promise,’ ' the president said. 'I thought that’s fair. I don’t know which promise he was talking
about.'

"The people in the audience – who paid $30,400 per couple to attend –
laughed as they ate a dinner of roasted tenderloin, grilled organic
chicken and sun choke rosemary mashed potatoes."

Which promise? How about starting with the repeal of DOMA, the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell', a federal hate crimes law, and above all, the promise to be a "fierce advocate" for all the LGBT people who voted him into office?

The AP posted a slightly different report on the remarks: "While many Obama supporters waved and cheered as his motorcade
approached the Beverly Hilton, some protesters decried Tuesday's
California Supreme Court ruling that upheld the voter-approved gay
marriage ban. Some of them also urged Obama to repeal the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy for gays. Obama said he could not hear the protesters' exact words, but he
agreed with one who shouted that the president should keep his promises."

Comments

1. B says

What a tool! I regret voting for that arrogant windbag. He made so many promises he can’t remember anymore. The only thing he’s accomplished so far is bailing out the wealthy and ensuring they stay that way. Fuck him.

2. Sean says

“…I just don’t know which promise he was talking about.”

Well, Mr. President, since you haven’t kept a damn one of them, PICK A PROMISE, ANY PROMISE!

3. Seth says

Be fair, Andy. Let’s not read too much into EVERYTHING that Obama says at this point. Maybe he didn’t know what they were protesting about? Maybe any number of things is possible.

We know that Obama cares about our issues and will deliver. It’s right for us to keep the pressure on him, and his staff, and his supporters, but there’s no need to demonize the president just because he’s moving slower than we want.

4. JoeTynan says

Now that’s not right. I understand in so many cases that protestors are going to be goofballs and deserve to be laughed off, but not this group outside the hotel. The same with the teabaggers (whether one agrees with them or not). These are all, to the protestors themselves, legitimate gripes and he’s THEIR President too. I think it’s bad form for a guy who usually has such admirable smoothness.

5. Jonathan says

I’m beginning to think he’s starting to show his true colors (no pun intended). He’s a business as usual politician. He was in favor of gay marriage as far back as 1996. His current stance is pure cynicism and a complete lie. Sotomayor was not the best he could do (almost all of the women on the list were better). She was just the easiest to ram past the Republicans based on her heritage and the fear of losing hispanic votes. I’m sick of this man already.

My wallet is closed to the Democrats from now on. It truly doesn’t matter who’s in office anymore.

6. peterparker says

I was in the crowd outside the Beverly Hilton yesterday afternoon. You wanna know what I found truly odd? When the crowd exited the hotel…the same crowd that reportedly laughed at Obama’s little joke…the majority of them had to stand on the sidewalk for several minutes while their cars were brought around to them. We were directly across the street from them and there was little traffic on Wilshire to block us from their view. And of ALL those people, Democrats and supposed liberals, I saw only two, TWO!, instances of that anyone from that crowd showing support to us. Once was when a late middle aged couple raised their fists in support of us. And once was when J.J. Abrams, the director of Star Trek and creator of LOST (among other things), was basically forced to acknowledge us because the crowd was shouting his name. Disgusting.

7. K says

Wow. I’m still not ready to declare his administration a failure on GLBT issues because there are still opportunities. But that was stunning. I can only think of 2 reasons why he would give that answer, and both of them still indicate that he isn’t willing to be “fierce advocate” in public, as he claimed: 1. He thought that the dinner attendees would be uncomfortable if he brought up the issue since they expected a light-hearted dinner, 2. He deliberately ignored the protesters so he wouldn’t know who they were or what they were upset about. I refuse to believe he’s forgotten the issues and difficulties he was confronted about. There is something else here. Either way, I’m stunned.

8. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

If I could read the end DADT, marriage equality signs, see the rainbow flags, in the split second they were on my TV screen then he damn well could read them from the windows of the Presidential limo/SUV a few yards away. Even if he couldn’t, IF he cared, he damn well could have asked someone to find out.

But, hey, this is another historical marker for him, placing him along side homophobic Dean Rusk [Pres. Johnson’s Secty of State] who mocked gays demonstrating outside the State Dept. in 1965, and homophobic VP George Bush who mocked gays demonstrating against Reagan’s passive genocide.

9. Dan says

Why do gays whine so much?

Let’s grow up and TARGET him. Make his positions hurt. Make him lose votes. Embarrass him and his cohorts. That’s the way it is done, and has been done, in our democracy.

Ideas:

– media campaign / memes, including YouTube videos and other mockery
    – stop contributing to the Democrats and let them know why
    – start contributing to interest groups in the party that seek to hold Obama accountable

I don’t fault him one bit for viewing us expendable. I hope he won’t fault me for going after him in a big way.

10. Jeffrey says

I was at the protest, too, and when I watched the local news at 11pm last night and they showed a clip of Obama making that joke about ‘…I don’t know which promise he was talking about. Heh Heh.” my jaw hit the floor. He was JOKING about our protest!!?? He sounded arrogant and uncaring and dismissive…just like (God, I hate to say this) George W. Bush!
    I have tried to give Obama the benefit of the doubt up to now (I supported him from early in the primaries)but that was the last straw.
    He shredded my last bit of hope that he would help us. We are on our own.
    SHAME ON OBAMA!

11. Mikey says

This is soooo upsetting. He has done nothing and says nothing about us anymore. He is becoming way too middle of the road for me. I am hoping the he can get our economy back on track, however.

Why could we not have had Hillary as our Pres?

12. C_in_Chicago says

I’m honestly at the point now where I’m seriously thinking about ending any financial and volunteer support for the Democrats and either staying home in the next Presidential election or voting Republican and letting the campaign know why via letter.

I’m just one guy but maybe the idea that you can’t take gay votes/donations for granted without treating us with a bare minimum of respect might sink in.

13. Kugel says

14. Darren says

The solution is simple. Withholding support and votes from the Dems. Of course, that leaves us with a bigger problem, the GOP in charge again, which gay rights aside, just basically drove the country into the ground for 8 years.

I’d still vote Dem, but supporting them by doing voter drives and volunteering? No thanks. I’ll support them as much as they have me. Which means, about nada, until they get their crap together about LGBT rights.

15. Middle of the Road says

Sadly, we knew what we were getting, but everyone turned a blind eye. Wen he said he was against gay marriage, so many of my friends said he was saying that just to get in office but didnt mean it. UHM! WHAT! If you say something that is a lie to get in office, how can you be trusted? More likely, he did mean it, and now the proverbial chickens are coming home to roost. When McCain said he didnt mean it, everyone of my friends said, “See, he is against us” but Obama said THE SAME THING. People wanted to have it both ways. Now, not only are we suffering as a gay people, but in case you hadnt noticed, the economy isnt getting any better under Obama’s Bail out plan, or as I call it, the beginning of a destructive inflation and devalue of the dollar. If you dont agree, watch what happens to the value of money in the next 6 months to a year.
    Sadly, too many people were swept up in the Obama-mania, and now we are stuck with him. Enjoy it. It is going to get alot worse for everyone.

16. farrellcsun says

I heard the audio clip of Obama on the radio this morning on the way to work and almost got into an accident after hearing his “I don’t know which promise” comment.

SO disappointing. I agree with other comments on here about withholding donations until we get SOME kind of action or substantive response. That seems to be the only way to get attention.

@KUGEL – I heard the audio on KNX 1070 AM radio here in LA, not sure if they have it on their website. The tone was just as dismissive as the NYT article suggests. The AP article spun it much more positively.

17. says

He WILL LOSE our respect fast?

You are CONSIDERING not sending the DNC any money at this point?

It is evil for any gay person to give money to the DNC until we see an all out push for LGBT equality NOW when they control the presidency and Congress. It will NEVER be easier for Obama to support us than it is today. It will only get harder as the Dems lose seats in both houses and he becomes less popular.

Gays who attend DNC fundraisers should be ostracized. DNC booths at Pride events should have a hard time staffing them.

18. FunMe says

LANDON … great points and ideas.

Any request for political $$$ donations from ANY Democrat should be responded with:

“I can’t hear you unless you hear me.”

“You want money? Then fulfill a promise. Otherwise, with words … talk to the hand!”

19. Ford says

I’m so glad I didn’t vote for him, I didn’t vote at all in fact sense I live in a red state and knew it really didn’t matte. But if Clinton would’ve been the one on the ballot I most certainly would’ve voted for her.

20. Swellster says

Here is the post I made at Whitehouse.gov to remind him of his promises, since he has apparently forgotten:

President Obama:

It has been reported in the press this morning that in response to LGBT protestors’ calls yesterday (May 27, 2009) that you keep your promises, that you agreed that you should keep your promises but you did not know to which promises the protestors were referring.

In quoting from your February 28, 2008 open letter to the LGBT community below, I hope to remind you of those promises:

“As your President, I will use the bully pulpit to urge states to treat same-sex couples with full equality in their family and adoption laws. I personally believe that civil unions represent the best way to secure that equal treatment. But I also believe that the federal government should not stand in the way of states that want to decide on their own how best to pursue equality for gay and lesbian couples — whether that means a domestic partnership, a civil union, or a civil marriage.
    Unlike Senator Clinton, I support the complete repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) – a position I have held since before arriving in the U.S. Senate. While some say we should repeal only part of the law, I believe we should get rid of that statute altogether. Federal law should not discriminate in any way against gay and lesbian couples, which is precisely what DOMA does. I have also called for us to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, and I have worked to improve the Uniting American Families Act so we can afford same-sex couples the same rights and obligations as married couples in our immigration system.”

These are the promises we call on you to keep. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity for you to use the bully pulpit to call for the end of systemic discrimination against gay Americans. While I understand you support civil unions and not “gay marriage” (a position I cannot comprehend, but that is a different topic), there is simply no excuse for a leader such as yourself, who campaigned on a platform of change and hope, and equal treatment for all, to stand silently while an entire class of Americans is denied equal protection of the laws. That is shameful.

My partner and I supported you fully. We gave money and time and energy. We bought into your message of hope, change, and equality for all. We are not asking for change overnight, rather we are asking you to do what you said you would do. Have the courage to stand and do what is right.

21. Bob R says

Wow, so President Obusha made a funny at our expense. Kinda like GW looking for those weapons of mass destruction. “They’re not over here. Nope, not under here!” Obusha chuckles to himself, “Haha, don’t worry, you’ll vote for me again in 2012 because where else are you gonna go?”

I have to agree with Dan who posted above, we need to target Obusha at every opportunity. Embarrass him and expose him for the liar and fraud that he is. Now he is no longer ignoring the LGBT community, he’s ridiculing us. His campaign and that of the Democratic party will never see another dime of my support. I’ll support only those candidates that have a positive track record on LGBT issues.

22. Kugel says

@Ford. Obama’s and Hillary’s stances on LGBT issues were nearly the same. He said he wanted to repeal DOMA completely, whereas she said she would only do it partially. Otherwise, they were pretty much the same.

23. soulbrotha says

So of course, even though there are two very different accounts of what he said, everyone is going to jump on the negative account and let the fur fly. what else is new?

24. Terry says

My checkbook is now closed to this White House. And I’d suggest that the GLBT community announce that further donations and money won’t be forthcoming.

First, the Iowa “joke” at the White House Correspondents Dinner and now this. Plus, the utter indifference about DADT repeal. Plus, the removal of DOMA repeal from the White House website. Christ, you don’t have to have an anvil dropped on your head at this point to see what’s going on.

25. Pender says

You’re still “seriously thinking” about it, C_IN_CHICAGO? What’s taking so long? At least it should be a no-brainer to withhold your donations and give them instead to gay rights groups like Lamda Legal and Empire State Pride Agenda. The national democrats have done nothing for us.

26. Derrick from Philly says

“Kool-Aid, anyone?”

Posted by: dc8stretch

We’ll make up a new batch in the summer of 2012–better than our 2008 brand, and it’ll be a winner.

His first Supreme Court nominee is answering one of his promises to me. I can be patient for the other promises to be answered–and required patience is not new for minorities in American history.

27. Mike says

I wasn’t originally for Obama, but come on folks, we are obviously better off than if we would have elected McCain. He isn’t perfect, but I think he is going to attack the right wing on gay issues from the flank, not a frontal attack. So, as on comment said earlier, keep the pressure on, but don’t demonize him.

28. Jeffrey says

@Soulbrotha

I SAW A CLIP of him, doing EXACTLY what the NY Times reported, on Channel 7 news here in Los Angeles at 11pm last night. I HAVE IT ON MY DVR.
    You can NOT be an apologist for him on this one. Sorry.
    He deserves your scorn and contempt over this.
    If he apologizes and then actually fulfills his promises, he should be forgiven. Until then, the gloves are off.

29. lis says

I’m unclear how people thought he’d jump up and down with support for GLBT? And he certainly wasn’t going to bring it to serious attention during a FUND-RAISER. That’d be stupid – don’t bite the hand presently shoving money in your pockets.

30. ARI says

We really don’t want him to make the same disastrous mistakes Clinton made. Clinton tackled gays in the military way too early because of his promise to us and look at the results. Give Obama a chance. It has only been 4 months. Maybe he is planning on tackling everything his second term. Evangelicals not voting for him a second term is a concern. What you have to understand is that we only have a chance if a Democrat is in power. In this day and age it is sad how Obama may have to play this but please give him a chance. I know he will come through for us on these issues at some point in the not-too-distant future.

31. says

Oh, for cryin’ out loud – do any of you read anything but gay blogs?

There had to have been 5 different groups protesting outside the Hilton yesterday. The Armenian genocide group was nearly as large as the marriage equality group. I’m no Clinton – – ahhh – – Obama fan, but cut the guy a break, of course he didn’t know of everyone out there and his comment certainly wasn’t aimed at marriage equality – we aren’t the center of the universe after all, just the smartest and prettiest…

32. eatdrinkandbefurry says

This is RIDICULOUS. Wake the hell up and realize that change wont happen with the blink of an eye. The man has a ton on his plate and has made some tremendous strides. If gay equality is your only political cause then you need to read more about atrocities going on in the world. many of which Obama has been spending the bulk of his time cleaning up.

33. dc8stretch says

Ari. Dude. The President has made us into a punchline. twice now. Use your head. And Derrick in Philly
    ; As MLK, JR said: Wait most always means never. 2012 is too long to wait now.

34. says

Ari:

Do you think that Dems WON’T lose seats in Congress in 2010? That seems unrealistic, based on all historical precedent, doesn’t it?

So you think it’ll be easier to pass LGBT legislation when there are fewer Dems in Congress?

That’s why NOW matters. I think most gay people assumed in the first months of Clinton’s presidency that we would get our agenda enacted during his presidency. It was not RUSHING on military service that killed that: it was allowing opposition to solidify. Obama is having to be pushed very hard right now not to do exactly the same thing. Stop making excuses for him, please, and help push!

35. Bob R says

@KUGEL…I’m not so sure. Although I am very angry about not just his broken promises and his attitude towards LGBT issues, I am also unhappy with his reversals on Military Tribunals, the black holes we continue to pour money and lives into in Iraq and Afghanistan, wireless wiretapping, failure to support not only a Truth Commission but an investigation into Bush and company war crimes, endless detention without trial or charges, maintaining Bagram Prison, among other “flip-flops” and backtracking. So far, to me Obama in not much better than Bush, other than being very articulate. That’s why I’m inclined to call him Obusha. A year from now it may be a whole other ballgame, but from what I’ve seen so far, I doubt it. Just more of the same slimy DC politics. My “hope”, which admittedly was never that strong to begin with, is fading fast. I really haven’t seen much, if any, change other than some window dressing. The bankers, CEOs and Wall Street are doing fine. The rest of us, not so much. Who knows what 4, 9 or 12 months may bring? Ask me then.

36. CJ says

My (quick) letter to the White House:

Mr President,

For the first time in my 32 years as an American citizen, you made me feel proud to be an American. Mr. President, that pride quickly abandoned me this week. While the letter of the law may not have allowed the California Supreme Court to overturn the egregious human rights atrocity that was Proposition 8, your insincere promises to defend the inherit rights of ALL American citizens regardless of sexual orientation are bewildering. For the past few months I have made excuses for why the White House seems disinterested in fighting for the rights of millions of Americans. I have seen countless friends lose their military positions over failed policy such as “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”. I have watched countless interviews with high ranking officers, Republican and Democrat politicians, stating their professional opinion that “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” needs to be overturned. Yet I have seen nothing from the White House, not even from Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, regarding the White House’s stance on such crucial issues.

Last night during President Obama’s speech at a dinner held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, President Obama made light of the protesters. “One of them said, ‘Obama keep your promise,’ ” the President said. “I thought that’s fair. I don’t know which promise he was talking about.” My heart sank at the notion that President Obama disregarded the obvious message of the hundreds if not thousands of protesters, especially after the recent ruling by the California Supreme Court with regards to upholding Proposition 8. Mr. President, you have thrown millions of Americans under the bus, and you have destroyed the hope you so boldly pronounced you would deliver. My heart is saddened, but I grow wiser knowing that regardless of political affiliation, politicians are all the same. Divide a nation through social policy, and conquer it.

Thank you for your time.

A disappointed ex-hopeful American

37. David says

If you’re willing to wait on Obama or any other leader, that’s fine. But don’t get all pissed off and defensive when others aren’t.

38. soulbrotha says

Jeffrey, Andy presented two different accounts. If being an apologist means making a fair judgment based on the FACTUAL report, then I guess that’s what I am. I didn’t see the news report obviously. Was it in context or was it edited? Because of course, the media never uses sensationalistic editing practices for ratings.

39. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

We have our first winner of STUPIDEST EXCUSE OF THE DAY:

‘And he certainly wasn’t going to bring it to serious attention during a FUND-RAISER. That’d be stupid – don’t bite the hand presently shoving money in your pockets.”

What are you imagining? That he was prostituting himself again before another gathering at Rick Warren’s No Brokeback Church? Before Republicans?

This was a DEMOCRATIC fundraiser in still the most liberal state in the country and, setting aside how many ‘Mos were sure to be in the audience, one of the organizers was DAVID GEFFEN….you know the GAY HOMOSEXUAL KINSEY 6 SODOMITE FEYGELA billionaire who switched his support from H to O during the primaries?

One of the other organizers was straight Steven Spielberg who gave $100,000 against Prop H8TE. The organizer who introduced him [and apparently mentioned 8 at some point in the evening], Jeffrey Katzenberg, gave $25,000 to stop H8TE.

This was THE PERFECT audience for him to end his deafening INSULTING silence since his swearing in on his several and EXPLICIT promises to gays to immediately become actively involved in advancing LGBT equality.

INSTEAD he made a joke…correction, he made US a joke.

40. Jeffrey says

@ eatdrinkandbefurry, david, ari

It’s not just that he hasn’t acted on HIS PROMISE to repeal DOMA and DADT, to be a “fierce advocate” for our rights; it’s that he has been deathly silent since taking office, his press secretary is dodging the issues, and he made us the butt of a joke, TWICE.
    When the only times he mentions our plight is to get a LAUGH, it’s time to get mad.
    You apologists are on very thin ice indeed.

41. liminalsun says

I have to say this doesn’t dissapoint me much, as I never had much hope or faith in this guy to begin with. It was quite obvious even before he was elected that he had no intention of fighting for us. He threw us a few bones here and there but ALWAYS stopped short of actually declaring any real support. He used us to get elected, same old story. Can we finally learn from this and stop expecting the government to give us rights that were never theirs to give or take away in the first place? Obama is useless, and so is having faith in him. Take your rights. Fight. It has always been, and will always be, up to us.

42. Bill Perdue says

GLBT People who voted for Obama, Clinton or McCain voted against themselves and for a bigot.

Antiwar folks who voted for Obama, Clinton or McCain voted for more mass murder by the US in Iraq and Afghanistan and for US sponsored zionist apartheid and ethnic cleaning against Palestinians.

People who voted for Obama or McCain voted for lap dogs of the rich who pass out trillions to pay of the bad debt of these looters and losers but demand austerity from unions and workers.

43. Ted B. (Changing Rhino) says

Hahahahahaha….You got what you paid for.

Why the G/L community fell all-over themselves for this Chicago politician, who openly said he DIDN’T support gay marriage, is a mystery. The Democratic Party just uses the G/L community as an ATM…say the right words, “gay marriage, DOMA, ENDA, DADT” and the money just pours-in without any accountability or results. Just lip-service to keep you on-the-hook for 2010’s campaign fund-raising drives and the 2012 Presidential campaign.

…..Suckers.

44. Jeffrey says

@Soulbrotha “If being an apologist means making a fair judgment based on the FACTUAL report, then I guess that’s what I am. I didn’t see the news report obviously.”

I had a feeling you would still try to defend the indefensible…
    No, you obviously didn’t see the news report and yet you say you are making a fair judgment on the FACTUAL report. WTF?
    You were accusing the rest of us of only latching on to the more negative report when you are only latching onto the more positive report IN THE FACE OF OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY.
    Go back and read my post: I have SEEN several times the(UNEDITED SECTION)of Obama’s speech for myself–I have it recorded.
    The original post on here was pointing out that the NY TIMES actually reported the entire quote, while the AP conveniently edited out the last part: “I don’t know what promise he was talking about.” plus the subsequent laughter
    The AP is guilty of spinning this so Obama doesn’t look bad or else they didn’t get how significant the omitted part of the speech actually was. The NY TIMES is reporting the whole story.
    You can continue to believe what you wish to believe but you are not facing the facts. If you don’t want to be called an apologist, then don’t be one.

45. BC says

Ok…I see all the comments about the kool-aid and being thrown under the bus and all that. But here is my question and I really want some honest answers. Lets say a year from now, DADT is repealed and DOMA is being worked on (or vice versa)we all stand strong and still keep our money and time? OR will people drink the new kool-aid and be Obama lovers again?

Gays who donated to him thought they were dontating b/c of the promises he made. In reality, he continued to make promises because, what, like 95% of gays gave him money. We need to not be seen as wishy-washy in this. We’re angry now. We’ve been betrayed. We’ve been poked fun at by this “Firce advocate.” Remember that when he pours us another glass of kool-aid and asks us to take a drink. We need to stand strong. Together, no matter what political affiliation.

46. Meeee! says

The difference between the tone iof the two reports is substantial. The NYT report makes him sound tone-deaf. The AP report makes him sound reasonable. Is there a link to a clip?”

Yes, go to America Blog.

The AP report sounds like the spin of a kool-aider.

47. Derrick from Philly says

“People who voted for Obama, Clinton or McCain made a mistake they can avoid next time but people like nic and jimmyboyo who excuse Obama stand condemned as shills for bigotry.”

Why, Bill, you forgot me.

Jeffrey:

We don’t feel any need to apologize for the actions of the President…yet, and hopefully, never.

Could it possible that the “joke” about “what promise” was a joke about himself? A joke about politicians who make too many promises?

Lord, thank God he didn’t call y’all a bunch of straight-haired homos–all hell would’ve broke loose.

48. Scott says

Over 60 comments, and exactly ONE person (David B.) has any sense of reason whatsoever.

Do you people read/listen to ANYTHING? As David B. said, there was a big Armenian genocide protest contingent. There was Code Pink. There was Answer LA. Some torture protesters. This was not a 100% gay rights protest, it was probably not even the majority.

So Obama had no idea who said “keep your promise” — he probably had no idea which groups were protesting. ***And if you LISTEN to the actual clip, he is not dripping with condescension and “mockery” — he ends with “and i thought to myself…. i like that!”*** Funny how that is cut out of press accounts.

In other words, he APPROVES of people holding his feet to the fire and reminding him of the promises he has made. He was speaking in generalities. That isn’t to say that you all SHOULDN’T be writing the White House about gay issues (you should). But how about you do it based on reality and not your predetermined notion that Obama is secretly a fag-hating evil-doer.

49. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

@ Scott

“he probably had no idea which groups were protesting”?????????????????

If he was close enough to read a sign [by whomever] that said “Keep your promise” then he was close enough to see the multiple rainbow flags.

But then, of course, …. despite all the STRAIGHT MAINSTREAM MEDIA attention to his [AT BEST] stalled promises to gays and contradictions from WH peeps about what he is/is not doing, intends/does not intend to do…despite his close friend and press secretary getting hammered EVERY DAY by questions from the White House press pool about that status quo and his silence…it is, to be fair, within the realm of statistical possibility that he thought The Gays were there to praise Caesar.

GROW THE FUCK UP!

50. Bren7565 says

I feel so angry and humiliated for supporting Obama. He really is some piece of work. His mask slips from time to time and his arrogance really shines through.

51. Carise says

At least, George Bush was upfront about where he stood. We should have long suspected this was going to happen, after the whole Donnie McClurkin thing.

52. thomasAlex says

Hold up People! We need all the Facts to make judgment.

“Obama keep your promise,’ ‘ the president said. ‘I thought that’s fair. I don’t know which promise he was talking about.”

Where did it say Promise for Gay Rights?

53. Tommy says

Guys and Gals,

Dial it back a little bit. Obama has been president for four months. That is hardly enough time to undo all the damage and fear-baiting that the republicans managed in thier terms. It will take time. Human civilization is slow to change. I am not suggesting that we do not have the right to be upset, we do. What I am saying is that the president did not know what promise the protesters were refering to. The term “promise” was used, not “promises.” It is a querry that I myself would have posed, since there are numerous groups which protest any number of issues or only one.

I refuse to accept that Obama will abandon us because I realize that the presidency is not equivalent to a kingship. He cannot simply snap his fingers and issue commands that this or that be done. He must go through congress. And we all know what that means. If you do not, I encourage you to look into congressional proceedures in both the house and senate. Then have a look at the legislative schedule. It will happen folks! He has only been in office for just over four months. We must also keep in mind that universal marriage equality may not happen during his terms in office. However, I think we can expect him to champion our cause for equal rights and move us forward substantially.

We must also keep in mind that this movement does not, and must not, rest on his shoulders alone. Hold him to his word, but we must also work in our communities to alter opinions of our fellow citizens. Obama is the best chance we have had at equal rights ever. If you think Hillary would be doing any better, you are sorely mistaken.

Help them help us!

Tommy Hayes

54. ducdebrabant says

The President is not being honest. The protest was well publicized, and the protesters carried rainbow flags. He knew who they were and what promise they wanted kept. And he chose to make fun of them. The fact that the administration has accomplished a lot in a small amount of time is no comfort to gay people who know why that is — those are the things he has prioritized. He not only has done very little for gay equality, he avoids talking about it. The military is not even drawing up contingency plans for ending DADT, the Secretary of Defense says it’s not a priority. When gay marriage becomes legal in another state, the President either doesn’t mention it or he jokes about it in another context — as he did about gay marriage in Iowa. He claimed he wanted to repeal DADT and DOMA, but he hasn’t even stopped the military from investigating gays and lesbians, which he could do with a stroke of his pen. We’ve been very patient with him, but we’ve seen this sort of thing before …. only not as bad. Bill Clinton disappointed us, but he never mocked us.

55. ARI says

Landon, Clinton got to work on DA/DT within 100 days of his presidency and signed it by the end of the 1993. It was rushed and it was a compromise. What do you mean “not rushing on military service that killed that?” What you wrote is gibberish. I’m not sure you realize the power of the Evangelical vote and what could happen if the timing is not right on Obama’s promises. You don’t think we could lose seats in Congress and the presidency because of something ill timed. The President and most of us realize this. Your simplistic suggestion to just act NOW regardless of how it will affect things really shows your naiveté. Yes, it’s screwed but there’s an out of control religious right still out there and I’m sorry but you’re just going to have to wait more than 4 months. It will happen.

56. Jay says

Fooled again by a politician who wants my vote then forgets promises to my community. I can’t vote for a republican but I can keep my money to myself and not vote for Obama come re-election time. The time for our equal rights is NOW with or without Obama. At least with Bush we knew where we stood.

57. Jay says