Adam Lambert | American Idol | Bill O'Reilly | Kris Allen | News | Religion

O'Reilly: Will the Christian Beat the Alleged Gay on American Idol?

Lamb_allen

Bill O'Reilly had Newsweek's Ramin Setoodeh on to discuss whether or not the fact that Kris Allen is a Christian and Adam Lambert is allegedly gay will have any effect on the Idol voting.

Lambert and Allen actually commented on this very topic in an interview with E!

E!: Kris, there's been talk that since you are active in your church, that the Christian vote is helping you. What do you think of it?

Kris Allen: I hope that having the Christian vote does not help with anything. I hope it has to do with the talent and the performance that you give. It's not about religion and all that kind of stuff. Adam Lambert: This is a singing competition, not a church thing. Kris: Yeah, totally.

Adam: I would hope people vote based on what they like to hear. I don't think it has anything to do with your religious background, what color you are, gender. It doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Watch the O'Reilly segment, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kris Allen has both class & talent. O'Rielly on the other had is a douche.

Posted by: Eric | May 19, 2009 10:12:06 AM

2. It actually makes me sad that a singing competition will be used as a metric for our civil rights struggle. Plus I don't think he's going to win, so we shouldn't be trying to help further than connection.

I don't watch the show.. but have read several articles about it on towleroad. If that gokey person was really getting the christian vote, who do you think they'll all support next since he's gone.... I'd bet not the gay.

I'd be happy to be wrong though on all points.

Posted by: samwise | May 19, 2009 10:15:33 AM

3. O'Reilly is desperate to turn this into a culture war. How pathetic and sad.

Posted by: Gregoire | May 19, 2009 10:23:33 AM

4. What angers me is that Adam being "allegedly" gay automatically means he's not a Christian. Whether Adam is or is not a Christian, I am sure that Bill O'Reilly understands that there are many gay Christians. Could he really be so ignorant [insert insult here].

I am gay and I have been voting for Kris all along. But, in light of this new controversy, why do I suddenly feel that my allegiance needs to switch to Adam Lambert.

Posted by: TBEEZ | May 19, 2009 10:32:36 AM

5. Hmmmm, methinks RAMIN SETOODEH is gay too. Workin' for the enemy?

Posted by: nikko | May 19, 2009 10:39:24 AM

6. Kris has my vote. I simply prefer his style. O'Reilly is trying to turn this into a christians v. gay thing, but the truth is that Kris is gay-friendly. Also, we don't know Adam's religion. It'd be a hoot if Adam said that he was a gay Christian. Bill's head might explode.

Posted by: GayConservative | May 19, 2009 10:47:25 AM

7. The straightly adorable element is probably more influential than the religious element where Kris is concerned, yet they don't address that cause it won't inflame faux culture wars. It's really Kris's cuteness appeal that might win voters away from Adam not the fact he sports a cross. He has the tween girls (and more than a few gay boys of all ages) swooning. Personally, I hope Adam's swaggering queer talent and charisma win out, but as long as Danny is gone and it's down to the nail-polish brothers, both of whom seem genuinely sweet and sweet on each other (only in a godly way, of course), I'm good.

Posted by: Ernie | May 19, 2009 10:58:25 AM

8. This is the fallout from the Miss USA controversy. I hate how politics must contaminate everything........

Posted by: Jason | May 19, 2009 11:13:03 AM

9. Adam should win AI. He is the most talented and has entertained us all season long. If he does not win it will be based on the "hate vote". I would hate to see Kris wear that badge of honor for the rest of his career. Vote ADAM!

Posted by: PhDude | May 19, 2009 11:16:12 AM

10. Adam is Jewish. You guys should really watch the show. It's all covered there.

Posted by: Mattie | May 19, 2009 11:19:16 AM

11. ARE SIMON AND PAULA “BREAKING UP”?
    Will tonight be one of the last times we see them together?
    Let’s hope not. ..

Posted by: Bruce | May 19, 2009 11:25:52 AM

12. Will vote tonight, (the first time I've cast a vote on Idol) for Adam, and not because he may be Gay.
    I think Kris is more attractive, but I'm voting for Adam based on talent.

Posted by: Bob West | May 19, 2009 11:34:09 AM

13. I like both of them, a lot. I'll be happy with whomever wins. However, I just really really hope that if Kris wins, the gay blogosphere does not run to the "HOMOPHOBIC" side of things. If Kris wins, its because he's a great singer, not because Adam is gay. And if Adam wins, its because he is a great singer, not because he is gay.

I can see Perez Hilton already getting his homophobic blog post all ready for Wednesday night to start another controversey.

Posted by: BC | May 19, 2009 11:38:05 AM

14. The runner up will be the real winner.

The folks who win American Idol always fade into irrelevance (with the exception of the first AI winner, Kelly Clarkson). Once they win, no one cares. For some reason, America likes to give the runner ups an actual shot at a career.

Posted by: Wes | May 19, 2009 11:39:06 AM

15. Bill-O probably fucks himself with a dildo thinking about Adam.

Posted by: Tralfaz | May 19, 2009 11:43:00 AM

16. I don't know. Carrie Underwood has sold over 6 million albums and Jordin Sparks is also a platinum seller. Winning counts. The winner gets all of the promotion of 19E.

Posted by: YM | May 19, 2009 11:45:03 AM

17. leave it to oreilly to make this a gay vs us issue! what a friggin doucebag! Love to watch him have a stroke one day on his show!!

Posted by: alex in boston | May 19, 2009 12:00:31 PM

18. this is drivel

Posted by: james | May 19, 2009 1:32:19 PM

19. Actually, it's not just Bill who's done the usual bigoted routine, there's been plenty of garbage tossed at Kris and his supporters, as well as bigotry directed at Adam and his supporters.

I've been a fan of AI since the second season, and one of the reasons why is the diversity of the winners. None of these people fit into any one type, none of them fall into the Brittany Spears category, all of them are talneted, and they are all different. All of them won't sell millions of cds, but voters knew that when they voted for them, but that didn't stop people from supporting them. They were voted in based on their talent, and how they performed on the show.

Frankly, I love both Kris and Adam, and think both will succeed.

Posted by: Cadence | May 19, 2009 1:36:37 PM

20. I hate what I know will come if Adam loses. Just like some f my people who swear EVERY Black loss is racism, we have plenty of 'mos who will swear its a Christian thing if Adam loses.

Personally, I agree that Adam would be better off to lose. If he wins he will be forced into a gawdawful album that will fail and people will blame that on him being Gay. If he comes in second I think he will be the male Vanessa Williams and have a steady long career on Broadway, music and acting.

O'Reilly is REALLY reaching by trying to stir up a controversy. He's also built a perfect place for himself. If Adam wins the judges were typical libs forcing their choices on traditional Americans. If he loses it's a victory for the good Christian majority.

He should be ashamed as he has no true feelings either way.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 19, 2009 2:03:46 PM

21. "but as long as Danny is gone and it's down to the nail-polish brothers, both of whom seem genuinely sweet and sweet on each other (only in a godly way, of course), I'm good."

Oh, EYE ROLL... :D
    It's all good.

Posted by: ophu | May 19, 2009 2:05:38 PM

22. daughtry and clay aiken didn't win but both are as successful as clarkson/underwood.

Posted by: MIKE in Houston | May 19, 2009 2:36:22 PM

23. I am so excited for tonight, I can't believe its almost over! Get a recap by watching this. OMG the auditions are hilarious, def click to see it and pass on to your idol friends.

Posted by: Chris Richards | May 19, 2009 2:37:28 PM

24. Kris is multi-talented performer with an incredible talent for creating unique, intelligent arrangements with broad appeal. Lambert is an embarrassing, meth-faced, one-trick-pony and Steven Tyler wannabe. A wannabe who will get my vote because I do not want to see Kris's talent to be crushed by the soul-killing Idol machine.

Posted by: 2gay4me | May 19, 2009 2:49:09 PM