Barack Obama | Gay Pride | Gay Rights | News

President Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

President Obama issued the following LGBT Pride Month proclamation late this afternoon on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Stonewall:

***
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

Obama Forty years ago, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall Inn in New York City resisted police harassment that had become all too common for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Out of this resistance, the LGBT rights movement in America was born. During LGBT Pride Month, we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.

LGBT Americans have made, and continue to make, great and lasting contributions that continue to strengthen the fabric of American society. There are many well-respected LGBT leaders in all professional fields, including the arts and business communities. LGBT Americans also mobilized the Nation to respond to the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic and have played a vital role in broadening this country's response to the HIV pandemic.

Due in no small part to the determination and dedication of the LGBT rights movement, more LGBT Americans are living their lives openly today than ever before. I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration. These individuals embody the best qualities we seek in public servants, and across my Administration -- in both the White House and the Federal agencies -- openly LGBT employees are doing their jobs with distinction and professionalism.

The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and respect.

My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the number of HIV infections and providing care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.

These issues affect not only the LGBT community, but also our entire Nation. As long as the promise of equality for all remains unfulfilled, all Americans are affected. If we can work together to advance the principles upon which our Nation was founded, every American will benefit. During LGBT Pride Month, I call upon the LGBT community, the Congress, and the American people to work together to promote equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

BARACK OBAMA

***

NOTE: Commenters point out that President Bill Clinton nominated San Francisco Board of Supervisors Member Roberta Achtenberg, to be Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity in February 1993. Achtenberg won confirmation three months later in May after a vicious battle with the late Senator Jesse Helms, who called Achtenberg a "damn lesbian" and said "I'm not going to put a lesbian in a position like that. If you want to call me a bigot, fine."

Comments

1. nice.......

Posted by: chris | Jun 1, 2009 6:04:40 PM

2. Civil Unions are not the same as marriage

Posted by: Cj | Jun 1, 2009 6:07:00 PM

3. I know certain people won't believe that I was just about to applaud this progress, even without action verbs, when I noticed its amazingly FALSE claim that should have been caught by any gay person they showed it to:

Obama is NOT "the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration."

Satan er Bill Clinton announced the nomination of lesbian Roberta Achtenberg for Asst. Secty. of HUD less than TWO WEEKS after his swearing in:

"THE WHITE HOUSE
    Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release: February 2, 1993

PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES NOMINATIONS FOR TOP HUD POSITIONS

(Washington, DC) The President today nominated four recognized leaders in the housing field to work with Secretary Henry Cisneros as top officials at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. ...
    Also nominated [was] San Francisco Board of Supervisors Member Roberta Achtenberg, to be Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.... 'I am committed', said the President, 'as is Secretary Cisneros, to turning the Department of Housing and Urban Development into a center for action and a home for innovation. Terry Duvernay, Andrew Cuomo, Roberta Achtenberg, and Jean Nolan have a big task ahead of them... These four outstanding individuals have the experience, the knowledge, and the ability to make that happen. They will be an essential part of my team'."

After a vicious battle led by Jesse Helms ["I’m not going to put a lesbian in a position like that….If you want to call me a bigot, fine.”] against that "damn mean-spirited activist lesbian," she was confirmed by the US Senate on May 24, 1993.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe | Jun 1, 2009 6:07:59 PM

4. as moi predicted -- Obama uses June as occasion to promote/get behind GLBT issues -- he has a sense of moment and history -- even if it takes him sometime to organize the wagons!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Jun 1, 2009 6:11:34 PM

5. We have every right to complain and campaign about the silence and hesitation the Obama administration has displayed when dealing with LGBT issues.

However, equally we must commend when good steps are taken. This statement, signed by the big O himself, is a nice gesture and sign that we haven't been forgotten. Granted that actions are louder than words, we should still remember that this is the most LGBT friendly administration in the history of the US.

Posted by: samwise | Jun 1, 2009 6:11:58 PM

6. Wonderful! Thanks Mr. President.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Jun 1, 2009 6:12:35 PM

7. Whoopee-fucking-do! Can we get some "fierce advocacy" instead of some lip service?

Lawrence v Texas legalized lip service in all 50 states, I don't need it from the President.

Posted by: Rainbow Rascal | Jun 1, 2009 6:12:36 PM

8. When is your Democratic ass going to partner with the Democratic Senate and the Democratic House to fix these problems so me and my partner can be equal in the eyes of MY democratic government?!?

Posted by: Jim Watson | Jun 1, 2009 6:15:43 PM

9. This is a nice change of pace. Now let's see some action.

Posted by: Pender | Jun 1, 2009 6:18:05 PM

10. Um, what he states: "I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration." is technically true based upon the "senate-confirmed" within the first 100 days. May 24th is outside that time period.

Posted by: nycpup | Jun 1, 2009 6:19:54 PM

11. What a f*ucking liar. What has he done to support the issues he says he supports?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This man is an obstacle, not an ally, in the fight for equal rights for LTBT Americans.

Posted by: dk | Jun 1, 2009 6:20:20 PM

12. This is a good sign, I think Obama will help us gain marriage rights, it will just take some time. He has probably received death threats if he signs an order, so he wants to let the supreme court decide.

Posted by: ty | Jun 1, 2009 6:20:57 PM

13. Lee-Land

For what it's worth, I noticed the misstatement, too. It didn't bother me.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Jun 1, 2009 6:22:12 PM

14. Wow. Thank you for the proclamation. It sure is swell. You are the fiercest advocate ever! I always wanted a proclamation. Don't really need marriage. Don't really need equal bloody rights. The proclamation is just fine. I've unsubscribed to all of Mr Obama's newsletters/pleas-for-gay-cash. That's all I'm giving for a lousy proclamation. Not another nickel. What do you think, fellow suckers?

Posted by: JonnyEmm | Jun 1, 2009 6:22:42 PM

15. I bet he is praying this doesn't make major headlines...

Posted by: freddy | Jun 1, 2009 6:23:18 PM

16. BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT!!

Posted by: Dan | Jun 1, 2009 6:24:12 PM

17. @Ty

Obama can't sign an order and repeal DOMA unless both houses pass a bill to repeal DOMA and send him one. According to the change in language on whitehose.gov, he doesn't even support a full repeal of DOMA anymore.

This guy is still on the wrong side of history, and way behind the curve of most Americans.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 1, 2009 6:26:45 PM

18. Well, thanks, Landon. My desire to want to continue to give you the benefit of the doubt need waste no further trust.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe | Jun 1, 2009 6:33:04 PM

19. Oh, and then to add insult to injury ... Former VP Dickie C comes right out and says he approves of gay marriage. He's a fiercer advocate for gay marriage rights than you are, Mr O! Thanks again for the lovely proclamation.

Posted by: JonnyEmm | Jun 1, 2009 6:38:36 PM

20. Stick your head out of the nearest window right now. There's a gale of extremely hot air blowing across the nation from the northeast direction. It's an out-of-this-world, totally unexplainable phenomena. Why, it's coming from the White House-West Wing!

Posted by: Julius | Jun 1, 2009 6:38:43 PM

21. I believe, nycpup, the point of the claim is the date of his "appoint"ing not the date of their confirmation.

If there were Senate confirmations of any gay appointments in his first 100 days I've forgotten, I take it back.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.comLe | Jun 1, 2009 6:40:26 PM

22. I'm getting so tired of this guy. He's all talk and little action... well, when he's not flip-flopping on the issues.

Posted by: Xtopher | Jun 1, 2009 6:41:26 PM

23. Hm, doesn't really impress me. He finally mentioned us again, but he still hasn't done anything. And we're not wrong for not being "patient." We've been patient for a long, long time. In fact, if he hadn't been silent so long, I probably would applaud this more.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

Posted by: gabriel | Jun 1, 2009 6:46:15 PM

24. "civil unions" hrm...

Posted by: White Label | Jun 1, 2009 6:46:21 PM

25. I am happy to stand corrected:

John Berry, director of the Office of Personnel Management, was confirmed within the 100 days.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 1, 2009 6:51:02 PM