Daniel Radcliffe | Dumbledore | Film | News

Daniel Radcliffe Amused He's Got a 'Gay Face'

Radcliffe

In an interview with Moviefone, Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe demonstrates yet again what an evolved lad he is when asked about Dumbledore's status as a gay wizard icon:

"It's wonderful. I grew up around gay people my entire life, basically, that's possibly why I'm quite camp, and some people think I'm gay when I meet them, which I think is awesome. It's always good to keep them guessing [laughs]. I don't go on any blogs or chats or anything, but my friends are demons for them, and apparently someone said 'Daniel Radcliffe is gay. He's got a gay face!' [Laughs] I really don't know what a gay face is. But I think it's wonderful that Dumbledore was outed as gay ... Half of me thinks Jo Rowling just did that to see if she could piss off the right wing, but I'm not sure how true that is. I think she had it planned, I think she always knew he was gay."

Comments

1. I don't think he has gay face. He does, however, have a serious case of gay vest in that photo.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 15, 2009 9:05:51 AM

2. I volunteer to test out his gay face by sitting on it.

Posted by: David D. | Jul 15, 2009 9:35:19 AM

3. Are those blue eyeballs real? He certainly is after his gay niche, isn't he?

Posted by: Pete | Jul 15, 2009 9:43:11 AM

4. His attitude and demeanor are years beyond his physical age. It doesn't hurt that he's such a cute guy with insanely blue eyes and an absolutely wicked grin...

It's kind of hot in here.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 15, 2009 9:55:50 AM

5. They really can make anyone attractive with Photoshop, can't they? In reality, Daniel Radcliffe's not. Attractive, I mean - it's generally known he is gay. The big problem he's facing is he was cast as a child actor... and not all child actors grow up to be gorgeous adults. He's one of the unfortunate ones - and once the Harry Potter series is over, so is his career. I don't begrudge him his closet status at the moment - as he could be saving the big Outing for when his career truly needs the publicity push, 3 years from now when the final HP film has sunk from view and he's trying to make a name for himself as a serious film actor à la Charlie Hunnam (who's not gay at all - just bi).

Posted by: Donovan | Jul 15, 2009 10:55:18 AM

6. "not all child actors grow up to be gorgeous adults"

Neil Patrick Harris would like to have a word with you.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 11:03:56 AM

7. Do much snarking, Donovan? Got any evidence to back up your bitchiness? Or are you one of those queens who just says stuff and refuses to back down even in the face of proof you don't know what you're talking about -- like those right-wing-nuts who swear, I mean they just KNOW, Obama's birth certificate from Hawaii is forged, that gays are out to recruit their sons if given even half a chance, that the moon landing happened on a back lot at Universal Studios in Hollywood and the Holocaust is all made up? Hmmm?

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Jul 15, 2009 11:14:35 AM

8. You old ladies need to grow up a little bit. It's sad how you're reacting to such a fun and light hearted interview from one of the world's biggest stars. He's in favor of gay rights - accept it and stop finding something to snark about.

Posted by: KFLO | Jul 15, 2009 11:46:59 AM

9. He's so pale. Daniel could be cute in his own sort of way but he just needs to be cleaned up and groomed. On a sidenote: Who ever thought it was a good idea for Daniel to rock that heinous belt needs to fish slapped hard in the face.

Posted by: Confessions of a Bad Boy | Jul 15, 2009 11:50:48 AM

10. i meant vest not belt*

Posted by: Confessions of a Bad Boy | Jul 15, 2009 11:51:18 AM

11. Thank you Kyle S for saying what I wanted to say to that putz Donovan!

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 15, 2009 11:53:23 AM

12. Why the Daniel Radcliffe hate? He's not Henry Cavill, I admit, but that's because God could only create one without obliterating the Solar System in white-hot sexual attractiveness.

(Sorry, I have a Henry Cavill fetish.)

No, Dan's cute. Nice eyes, good body. Not gorgeous, but not unattractive in his own way.

Posted by: Ben | Jul 15, 2009 11:55:30 AM

13. It's poor Ron Weasley that missed out on the looks, I'm afraid. Harry is just fine.

Posted by: anon | Jul 15, 2009 12:00:19 PM

14. Donovan, Charlie Hunnam is bi? Where did that come from?

Posted by: Marcus | Jul 15, 2009 12:40:38 PM

15. Actually, I think he's acting exactly his age -- it's the younger generations that don't even get why being gay is such a big deal. They're baffled by the homophobia that still persists in older generations, especially those over 30 or 40.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 15, 2009 3:27:55 PM

16. Daniel Radcliffe is actually a genuinely wonderful guy. He gives great interview, and I'm betting he grows into an extremely handsome man. Too bad I have absolute zero interest in seeing any Harry Potter movies.

Posted by: NSFW | Jul 15, 2009 4:37:41 PM

17. Although I've never been a big fan of Keanu Reeves, I've always admired the way he handled questions about his sexuality. When asked if he was gay he would reply that he wasn't but then add a "you never know".
    Keep'em guessing.

Posted by: pablo | Jul 15, 2009 4:49:52 PM

18. Why is there a picture of Elijah Wood above a story about Daniel Radcliffe?

Posted by: topsyturvy8 | Jul 15, 2009 7:06:43 PM

19. You can't hang around drag queens and not know what gayface means.

Ergo, he's lying. But he's cute and a great little actor so I'll forgive him. And to the poster above, nobody WAS hating on Dan Radcliffe, to my knowledge everyone loves him, only one person was hating here, Donovan, who'd apparently mapped his entire life out for him. Go figure.

Posted by: EM | Jul 16, 2009 2:45:18 AM

20. He's one of those one-in-a-thousand people that actually looks better with glasses. A good friend of mine is another one...

Posted by: Myackie | Jul 16, 2009 11:55:59 AM