Barbara Walters | Film | Joy Behar | News | Sacha Baron-Cohen

BigGayDeal.com

The Ladies of The View Moved by Brüno

Viewbruno

Barbara Walters and Joy Behar weigh in.

Walters warns of the giant wagging penises: "I think this could make people — if you're not homophobic — make you."

Says Behar: "I just want to address one thing about the homophobia. I don't think that people are gonna become anti-gay from the movie cause he is such a stereotype and so out there as this "gay, queen wacky" that there are straight people who are just as crazy, so if you don't know the difference there's something wrong with you."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I liked the movie, but I understand their concern. Not everyone is going to think about gay folks in a positive light because of this film. So what? It's meant to make you laugh.

An it's HILARIOUS to hear Babawawa talking about the anal lovin'

Posted by: Fausto Fernos | Jul 15, 2009 7:09:52 AM

2. blah-blah-blah. prude middle aged women, who've never seen dick on screen.
    i thought the movie was right on target and had many inspired and profound scenes.
    you go, Joy!

Posted by: tricky dick | Jul 15, 2009 7:20:41 AM

3. "Brüno is a uh, supposedly an Austrian homosexual. This is a movie that purports to make people who are homophobic, no more. I think this will make people, if you're not homophobic, it could make you. I don't need to know how you are doing anal intercourse."

And so goes the homophobia of Barbara Walters. Kudos to Joy for pointing out that "there's something wrong" with her.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 15, 2009 7:29:32 AM

4. ENOUGH OF BRUNO. This film is full of all the crap stereotypes that people like Harvey Milk fought against. The scene with the little African American baby is child abuse. It feeds the worst public images of gays, that we are child molesters and that we would not make good adoptive parents. No, I did not see Bruno. The media inundation has saturated the blogs, Letterman, the View, all with horrible images of gays. You can not escape it. Millions who have no intention of seeing the film are getting these negative images. Of course people will be adversely influenced. If they were not, there would be no such thing as product advertising or political ads. The media influences many people ! Surprise. Sacha "gay-basha" Cohen is no friend of gays. He even originally ended the movie with a gay bashing scene that was cut after protests. Ask Matthew Shepherd's mother if gay bashing is funny. Hah Hah Cohen. You are so humorous with making gay ridicule mainstream and acceptable . Oh Sacha, you are so funny. It is hilarious to set up young teens for their bullying and taunting young gays in school. Sacha, this is so funny. Why there were at least two young teens who committed suicide last year for the excessive taunting that they were perceived to be gay. Sacha, maybe you can get the numbers up. Of yes, this is really really funny Sacha. Sacha Doucha Cohen, you are too too funny for us here in America. Go back to merry old England with your garbage.

Posted by: Louis | Jul 15, 2009 7:53:32 AM

5. Perhaps it's been a while since a giant, wagging penis has been waved in Ms. Walter's general direction.

Go, Joy, go!

Posted by: ichabod | Jul 15, 2009 7:56:46 AM

6. So glad that Joy is getting her own talk show.

And Miss Babs, you're an idiot. Please retire.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jul 15, 2009 9:12:18 AM

7. Louis, if you didn't see the movie, you're really not invited to the discussion. Buh-bye.

And while you're away, learn how to use paragraph breaks.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 9:19:49 AM

8. Louis - you say you didn't see the fil but you have summed it up perfectly!

I did see it last Friday (and as a fan of Baron-Cohen I was looking forward to it). It totally throws gay people under the train in order to get laughs. I'm sick of all this crap from Universal claiming the movie is noble in its effort to reveal homophobia - it's just making it easier for people to feel its okay to indulge in homophobia.

I'm no longer a fan of Baron-Cohen.

I'm still a fan of Joy Behar but in this case she is wrong and GLAAD is right.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 15, 2009 9:37:02 AM

9. I'm thinking the majority of you are afraid of sex ... all aspects. Gay, straight, bi, trans. BRUNO showed some aspects of people basically afraid of sexuality.

After I saw the movie, I wanted to lambast it, however, the movie made me think. You need a character so extreme as BRUNO to show how nutty these people can be. Even though BRUNO was not as good as Borat, I did enjoy it and I will buy the unrated DVD when it comes out.

Posted by: Al | Jul 15, 2009 9:50:37 AM

10. Ok, just watched the video... Barbara Walters feels bad for the ministers in the movie who convert gays to straights. Because Bruno mocked them.

Next up on the Barbara Walters show: What about all the good things Hitler did?

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 9:53:54 AM

11. I hope Joy's show fails. How many times a week do these heteroshrews (except Whoopi) talk about gay people and gay issues? They have no authority on gay issues or gay people. Heterosexuals are outsiders with prejudices to homosexuality.

The worst aspect of the movie is Bruno's provacative nature. Instead of reviling the anti-gay bigots Bruno encounters heterosexuals will sympathy with them because heterosexuals have a wrong belief that gay people are provocative and that any negative reaction gay people recieve is justified. A recent study came out that set up a scenario where gay and heterosexual couples would end up kissing in front of the Eifel Tower. All the the heterosexual couples were judged to be kissing out of love while all the gay couples were judged to be kissing out of provocation. Just the other day a heterosexual killer was acquitted of killing a gay man because he said he did it because the gay man came on to him even though there was ZERO evidence of that, it didn't matter because the heterosexual jury with their prejudices believed everything the heterosexual killer said.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 15, 2009 10:07:56 AM

12. FYI: Joe.My.God. just busted "Louis" posting anti-Bruno comments under multiple usernames. Apparently, even he knows his position is so weak that he needs to build false support of it.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 10:10:42 AM

13. Louis = Bill

(as if the poor diction in both comments wasn't obvious enough)

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 10:22:15 AM

14. Crispy = paranoid parrot. Crispy, repeats all the heterosexual garbage. Louis is a different person than me. I agree with everything he said.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 15, 2009 10:45:40 AM

15. I'm glad you posted this, Andy. Barbara Walters is a real piece of shit. The fact that she didn't like Bruno is a ringing endorsement for the film.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 15, 2009 10:55:07 AM

16. Yes, yes. BRUNO is exactly what Harvey Milk fought against. Not discrimination, not homophobia.. Milk fought against the film industry and its portrayal of gays.

My feeling is that Louis/Bill wouldn't be exemplifying Milk had a movie not come out recently about his life.

Posted by: Shelby | Jul 15, 2009 10:58:34 AM

17. Oh, Bill. That is such a Louis thing to say.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 15, 2009 11:30:08 AM

18. I'll never understand how our society is so totally repelled by sexual images but has no problem seeing people get sliced and diced in movies. Totally mystifies me.

Posted by: Joseph | Jul 15, 2009 11:37:48 AM

19. What bothered me was her "this isn't a family film" bs. Really, Barbara? No shit. It's rated R. How many R rated films do you consider to be 'family fare'? Her homophobia is so ingrained and deep that she is oblivious: she reminds me of white people in the 60's, "I have a black friend, so therefore I'm not racist!"

How strange that she thinks that everyone would find big wagging penises offensive. I don't hear her bitching about all the tits and pussy in R rated movies. Hmm. Maybe Barb's a secret sapphist.

And Joseph I completely agree with you: why is it still so acceptable to chop off someone's head but not give them some? What an odd world we live in.

Posted by: ZnSD | Jul 15, 2009 11:57:03 AM

20. I saw he movie and thought is stupid. Yes, there were funny parts, but it went on to long and the jokes were all basically the same. In fact they were the same as they were in Borat.
    I agree with Barbara. I really do not need to see a talking penis waving around on a movie screen.

Posted by: chasmader | Jul 15, 2009 11:57:47 AM

21. "Little people" (with air quotations, no less?) just shows what an out of touch elitist bitch Barbara Walters is. Anyone who doesn't live on Park Avenue and comes to her catered dinner parties are considered "Little People" i.e. the average person. Even Joy didn't realize she wasn't talking about midgets or dwarfism, she was actually referring to people beneath her celebrity status.

Posted by: BS | Jul 15, 2009 12:08:10 PM

22. "Oh, Bill. That is such a Louis thing to say."

Crispy deserves his own show.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 15, 2009 1:06:20 PM

23. Dennis Lim states it pretty well:

"Brüno is, in more than one sense, beyond gay. Is any viewer really going to think that this hyperbolically crass and ridiculous narcissist—who wears mesh tops and eye-searing lederhosen, refers to his adopted African baby as a "dick magnet," and drops faux-Teutonic vulgarities about his waxed arschenhaller—represents "the mainstream of the gay community," as one troubled Hollywood "gay insider" put it? And are the gays who anxiously anticipate the mocking, hostile reactions of the unenlightened really that blind to Brüno's obvious counteroffensive strategy, which is to make that mocking, hostile idiocy the subject of his film? The beauty—and perhaps even the moral logic—of Baron Cohen's method is that those who're not in on his joke are invariably the butts of the joke."

Good catch on the two faces of Eve (Bill/Louis), by the way.

Posted by: Kugel | Jul 15, 2009 2:21:09 PM

24. I'm sick of Bruno and I haven't even seen it. The relentless posting on Towleroad made me hate the movie over the last few weeks and a lot of my friends agree.

Andy, if they paid you to do all that posting, methinks it backfired on all involved. PLEASE, I implore you, don't sign with the Devil again!

And what a bunch of hypocrites in regards to Walters! The woman was simply being honest and you ageist and misogynistic 'Mos are all over her.

Wouldn't you rather hear both sides of an opinion about a movie ? No, you all are like some rabid bitchy homo cabal just waiting to pounce on anyone who exhibits the slightest bit of difference of opnion from the prevailing groupthink.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jul 15, 2009 2:44:39 PM

25. You have friends? Like anyone cares what some self-loathing homosexual in Lost Vegas has to say. Go back to jacking off to your Dennis Miller 8x10, loser.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jul 15, 2009 3:56:30 PM