News | Sacha Baron-Cohen

Sacha Baron Cohen Steps Up Security After Brüno Terrorist Threat

Sacha Baron Cohen has increased security around him and his family after a terrorist group he mocked in the film Brüno made a threat against him:

Aita "The al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades, a coalition of Palestinian militias in the West Bank, said it was “very upset” that it featured in the film starring Baron Cohen’s homosexual fashionista alter ego. Baron Cohen’s Austrian character ridicules the terrorist group when he attempts to get himself kidnapped during a meeting with Ayman Abu Aita, who is identified in the film as the leader of the Martyrs’ Brigades...The Martyrs’ Brigades has issued a statement to a Jerusalem-based journalist including a veiled threat against Baron Cohen, 37. 'We reserve the right to respond in the way we find suitable against this man,” it said. “The movie was part of a conspiracy against the al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades.' ... The group is alleged to be responsible for dozens of suicide bombings and shootings. It has been designated as a terrorist organisation by the European Union and United States. Baron Cohen’s Austrian character is shown telling Mr Abu Aita: 'I want to be famous. I want the best guys in the business to kidnap me. Al-Qaeda is so 2001.' Before Mr Abu Aita can respond, Brüno suggests that he remove his moustache, explaining: 'Because your king Osama looks like a kind of dirty wizard or homeless Santa.'”

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The surviving member of Milli Vanilli has been oddly silent.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 27, 2009 1:09:54 PM

2. Hey, they had their chance to kidnap him and they turned it down. Fuck those sore losers.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 27, 2009 1:14:32 PM

3. Crispy, I saw your post elsewhere (EW, I believe) saying you predict "Bruno" will go on to become a cult classic. What, like "Birth Of A Nation"?

Posted by: Skiff | Jul 27, 2009 1:51:59 PM

4. They should hold him for at least a couple of years and then release him unharmed - just to make sure he doesn't make another piece of shit like "Brüno."

Posted by: Paul | Jul 27, 2009 2:04:29 PM

5. Skiff,
    Stop stalking me. And for the last time, stop emailing me photos of you fingering your butthole. I already told you the bloody warts are a huge turn-off.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 27, 2009 2:08:19 PM

6. Crispy, your unrealistically high standards are going to leave you a very lonely old man some day. Bloody warts can really spice up assplay.

Posted by: paul c | Jul 27, 2009 2:15:03 PM

7. LOL Don't mess with CRISPY. Oh, my. LOL

Are you sure they were warts? Did they move?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 27, 2009 2:18:26 PM

8. Sacha just made my top heroes list. "Homeless Santa" indeed.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhaahhaha!

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 27, 2009 2:27:29 PM

9. Sad that posters have bitch fights and name calling on posts that have nothing to do with the post. It just reaveals one's ignorance and inability to work things out between the two. Time to grow up children and act like adult men instead of hiding behind the safety of the internet.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 27, 2009 2:41:41 PM

10. Okay Jeff, back to the subject. I'm confused, a known prankster punks a known terrorist for a Hollywood movie for the multiplexes, and now the prankster feels threatened by the terrorist.

Am I actually supposed to feel sympathy for SBC? The "fun" of pranking is in the risk. Pranks can have unintended consequences.

And for those who think SBC was making the risk for something other than laughs and money, here's what audiences thought:

Posted by: Skiff | Jul 27, 2009 3:19:34 PM

11. JEFF,

you aint been around here very long, have you? This little interaction between SKIFF and CRISPY is downright civil compared to some of the wars that have occured on this blog. My favorite were the 24PLAY vs Leland Francis battles. Classic!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 27, 2009 4:08:57 PM

12. I remember watching the commercial featuring this scene and I thought it was a joke because who would do something so dangerous for a joke, and watching the movie you realize that the guys is an actual terrorist and I got a bit scared. Half the movie is me laughing my ass off and the other half is me fearing that SBC is going to be lynched in his own movie.

Posted by: Pekemo | Jul 28, 2009 2:40:04 AM

13. LOL w/Derrick! There should be a "Classic Towleroad Bitchslaps" recap section just for grins. Sometimes the discourse gets out of hand, but other times it's been just downright hilarious.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Jul 28, 2009 11:35:11 AM

14. Terrorist retards with their guns and war!
    Dont they have something better to do with their life then go killing people who oppose them for they way of acting bad on other people?
    Its pathetic!