Iceland | Jonsi and Alex | Music | Music Video | News

Sigur Rós frontman and Boyfriend Release Album: Riceboy Sleeps

Riceboy

If you're a fan of Icelandic band Sigur Rós, you may want to check out Riceboy Sleeps. It's a new release by Jónsi Birgisson of Sigur Rós and his boyfriend Alex Somers. Together they produce art and music, combining their lush, ambient, ethereal compositions with nostalgic imagery. Their album just came out this week.

Riceboysleeps I've posted the EPK for it, AFTER THE JUMP...

There's also an extensive interview with the couple at Woolf & Wilde. In it, Jónsi talks about how they met:

"My band Sigur Rós were touring and we happened to be in Boston. At first I met Alex’s brother, who gave me his CD as he is a music maker also. I was listening to it and it was quite good, not like many CDs we get from our fans [laughs]. After the show I met Alex’s brother again and there was Alex standing beside him. Wow! As soon as I saw him I thought that he was the most beautiful boy I have ever seen. But for some reason I thought he must be straight. Then I had to get into my bus heading to another city to play. Anyway during six months I stayed in touch with Alex’s brother via emails and when I finally returned again to Boston, I decided to give him a call and meet for a beer somewhere. I called and Alex answered. He came to the hotel where I was staying and we just never went out for that drink. And that was it."

Sample the album on the EPK and listen to an interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. i adore it, the music and the beautiful images

Posted by: clayton | Jul 23, 2009 8:58:20 PM

2. Lovely in every way.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 23, 2009 9:18:28 PM

3. Alex = Yoko?

Posted by: Anon | Jul 23, 2009 9:19:18 PM

4. I adore Sigur Ros. I was in Turkey a few years ago and often went to a cafe near Istanbul's "first gay B&B" to watch the World Cup. I would order beer, they would play Sigur Ros, and it would make me sentimental for several reasons.

I hardly spoke to anyone and was dressed perhaps only slightly better than most other Western tourists, but they eventually figured out I was gay (the Turks have astonishly good gaydar and can indentify your nationality spookily well---I've never had someone tell me I looked like a German-Brit who'd been raised in America, which is absolutely correct). Anyway, the straight waiters started being (jokingly) flirty with me. I even went and bought a couple Sigur Ros CDs, even though I had copies at home, because their music is so lovely.

Actually I'm still mildly irritated, or at least surprised, that everyone there had such good gaydar. In SF everyone thinks I'm straight. Unfair!

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 23, 2009 10:23:16 PM

5. Lovely, sleepy album. Google their website and buy the limited edition album, full of goodies. 2 beautiful, gentle gay musicians who are also raw food vegans - ah, the world is still full of wonders!

Posted by: Grant | Jul 24, 2009 12:01:09 AM

6. I love our people.. I really do. I just think we are the greatest when I hear stuff like this.

Posted by: cmh | Jul 24, 2009 1:16:47 AM

7. I was in Rekyjavik when I first heard Sigur Ros's LP...their music is a national treasure to Iceland. It's pure poetry in ANY language!

Posted by: Jeff Guard | Jul 24, 2009 1:32:05 AM

8. I've only heard one Sigur Ros song - and it was brilliant. It's called "Vaka," and was featured in the astoundingly good film "After the Wedding."

Posted by: Jordan | Jul 24, 2009 1:53:13 AM

9. If you haven't heard it listen to 'Hoppípolla', its beautiful and makes me cry, its just such a gorgeous sound.

Posted by: rovex | Jul 24, 2009 2:24:40 AM

10. If you just have their albums you don't get any sense of what the band is like in person. There is no promotional material whatsoever.

Posted by: anon | Jul 24, 2009 8:59:13 AM

11. Thanks for this article! Just downloaded Riceboy sleeps... beautiful!

Posted by: Trace | Jul 24, 2009 2:01:50 PM

12. I resisted Sigur Ros for a while and finally gave in last year. I caught them live on their Med sud i eyerum vid spillum endalaust tour. Alex's band (I forgot the name) opened up.

I've heard Riceboy once and it's sort made for late night listening.

I don't know why, but it's very heartening to hear about gay artists who do cool stuff like this. Very inspiring for me.

Posted by: Alex | Jul 24, 2009 3:59:20 PM