Film | Jason Mraz | Michael Steele | News | South Korea | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #512

SOUTH KOREAN PARLIAMENT: A day in the life.

BIG GAY MUSICAL: The first official trailer for this film, due out in October.

JASON MRAZ: on his assistant.

OUT-OF-TOUCH MICHAEL STEELE: Has no idea what kind of health insurance he has.

For previous Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. I have a special place in my heart for fighting adjummas and adjeosshis !

Posted by: Nathan | Jul 22, 2009 6:30:17 PM

2. Meh acting, limited appeal, Brent Corrigan... I don't know about this Big Gay Musical film. At least there are some hot guys in it, but it seems to be lacking in any sort of passion whatsoever.

Posted by: 7SK | Jul 22, 2009 6:53:12 PM

3. The big gay musical looks horrible !! I am embarrased to be gay with films like this !!

Posted by: ty | Jul 22, 2009 7:13:25 PM

4. Why are the lines in so many gay-themed movies so dreadfully hackneyed?

Posted by: Bakeley | Jul 22, 2009 7:41:07 PM

5. I just saw Big Gay Musical on Monday night at Philly's QFest. It was the world premiere.

I liked it.

It was not intended to be a that serious of a film. C'mon, it's a musical comedy. A gay musical comedy. It's funny, the acting is good, the production quality isn't bad, and it has a really good message (a few, actually.)

There was one scene (the ballet scene) that really should have been cut, but that was my only complaint, and compared to many films I see at gay film fests, it's way above average. I would recommend it.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 22, 2009 8:44:58 PM

6. @Big Gay Musical

Wow, being gay in New York City looks rough. Good thing there is singing to dull the pain.

Posted by: Washington | Jul 22, 2009 10:38:40 PM

7. You should have gone back to your roots and worked behind the bar during the premier!

Posted by: K | Jul 22, 2009 10:53:59 PM

8. I wonder how long it will take before the GOP cuts its losses with Michael Steele. He is a horrible embarassment.

I can think of only a few recent campy gay-themed movies that weren't total crap, and I don't enjoy musicals, so it would take a lot for me to go see a movie about coming out, dealing with parents, sleeping around, and putting on a great big show...are these really the only things that "major" gay films can showcase? Is there nothing else to our lives?

I'm not saying that every movie has to be serious, but you take a film like "Red Without Blue" and compare it with something like this, and there's no comparison in terms of meaning and message. So many gay movies are focused solely on cheap laughs and sex. It's like that gay guy you know who always has to make a unfunny joke when the word "balls" is mentioned in a nonsexual context.

This looks like the movie version of Sordid Lives, which is/was an enjoyable TV show. But how many times does it need to be done? Aren't we more interesting than that?

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 22, 2009 11:04:14 PM

9. The big gay musical looks horrible !! Maybe it would be relevant in 1979, but the whole "isn't there a pill to make me normal" storyline is so played out!

And "my religious parents are coming to town, and I'm a closest case?" yawn.

Posted by: Tom A | Jul 23, 2009 9:45:31 AM

10. I thought all musicals were gay. Huh!! This movie on the other hand looks horrible.

Posted by: Name: | Jul 23, 2009 9:57:45 AM

11. Stop trashing TBGM before you've seen it!! I saw it at the Philly premiere and let me tell you it was great!! Funny, insightful, and most of all: Musical. It is tired, spiteful, bitter queens like you that tear everything apart for the rest of us gays. How can the world respect us when we mercilessly rip and tear at each other over what...a trailer to a movie that the majority of folks haven't even seen. Grow a pair and go check out the movie and then come back and blog about some legitimate plot points rather than trash dialogue condensed from a trailer.

Posted by: James | Aug 13, 2009 1:49:25 AM