Comments

1. alex in boston says

Well DUH!!!! Can you say “self-loathing” Homosexuals who are frustrated they can’t get what THEY Want!!! Please is there a gay man or lesbian out there who can honestly say “I am NOT attracted to the same sex”! I can recall even as early as 8 or 9 my attraction to my boyhood chums, and i grew up in the 50’s and 60’s but with no POSITIVE role models my only confusion was “what’s wrong with me then?” I soon learned that God does not make mistakes and that i was created by him as i am !!!! No church or politician or homophobe would or could change that!! THANK JEEBUS!!!

2. Josh says

Young people need facts to run with in their lives, not the high-pressure B.S. that emanates from the orifices of fundie churches and FOF. I’m glad this guy found a way out of brainwashing. And he is absolutely adorable, too!

3. says

“There is no evidence to support the claims of some practitioners that sexual orientation can be changed through therapy, a special committee of the American Psychological Assn. reported today.”

The funniest thing about this statement is that there actually ARE people who believe just because you can force someone to have sex with _Fill_In_The_Blank_ and that will change their orientation. Well, if a church can pressure a gay man into having sex with a woman, and that makes him straight, surely church members can be turned gay! James Dobson is always showering with small boys.

So what are they really worried about? Well, listen to their own arguments. IT’S A THREAT TO TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE! If gay people can get married, evangelicals and republicans will abandon their wives like it was the rapture so they don’t have to lie about taking it up the ass anymore….

Let’s be clear… Abstinence does not change your sexual orientation any more than shaving your head changes your hair color.

4. Leonard Jones says

This is not the first time the APA has made a definitive stance in regards to conversion therapy. In 2006 they said,

“The APA’s concern about the positions espoused by NARTH and so-called conversion therapy is that they are not supported by the science. There is simply no sufficiently scientifically sound evidence that sexual orientation can be changed. Our further concern is that the positions espoused by NARTH and Focus on the Family create an environment in which prejudice and discrimination can flourish.”

5. astounded says

What a delightful young man Patrick is. Handsome and well spoken. Even if he weren’t, so what? And so strong to overcome all that sick bullshit. “Take off your shirt” ? An hour of silent holding? Use more TOOLS! Please!

This “Mike” is so sick it makes me sick.
    If that isn’t child abuse, then what is?

Patrick, please continue to take good care of yourself. You’re FINE just as you are.

6. anon says

I think “damage” is too strong of a word in this case, but perhaps he’s planning on suing. Others have suffered a lot more emotional distress than this guy describes. I would suggest that he move on with his life rather than dwell on the past. The APA needs to create public service announcements in the right media markets to address this new “conclusion”. That would do a lot of good. HRC can help I suppose.

7. anon says

It turns out they also recommend that therapists tell patients that don’t want to be gay that they can be trained to ignore their feelings. I think the jury is still out on that one.

8. Yuki says

Wait a sec… what on earth is this “therapy” that he went to? This Mike guy sounds more like he was trying to seduce the guy in the video, not trying to make him ex-gay… it sounds like the lies about gay people that Mike told him were an attempt to keep the guy with Mike, rather than scare him out of homosexuality.