New York | News | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

Casting Call: The Real House-Gays of New York City?

Gayhousewives The producers behind Bravo's Real Housewives series are reportedly exploring a gay version of the show, scouting in New York:

"I'm looking for the hottest young, fabulous gay men NYC has to offer for an upcoming docu-series. These boys need to be living the good life, keeping up with all the hottest shopping, restaurants, and clubs, and preferably have lots of drama keeping them busy at all hours of the day…and night. I'd love for them to be in a relationship, and we're looking for diversity in those relationships – especially younger/older dynamics. Do any of your friends fit this bill? We all know SOMEONE who needs to have their own TV show, right?"

Comments

1. "These boys need to be living the good life, keeping up with all the hottest shopping, restaurants, and clubs, and preferably have lots of drama keeping them busy at all hours of the day…and night."

That sounds like my own personal hell.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 14, 2009 10:00:24 AM

2. Gee, Andy (Cohen), thanks so much for doing all you do to make the gay community look so non-stereotyped. Queer Eye, Project Runway and now gays pretending to be married in a state where same-sex marriage isn't legal. This show should be great!

Posted by: Adam | Aug 14, 2009 10:01:51 AM

3. With the other RHO shows, they are mostly middle-aged women, but with the gay version the second adjective Bravo uses to describe potential castmates is "young". Very classy and self-loathing Bravo.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 14, 2009 10:08:29 AM

4. Andy (Button Eyes) Cohen has run out of tricks?

Posted by: oliph | Aug 14, 2009 10:11:56 AM

5. Id hate everyone of these people Im sure. Heck, Id gaybash them myself. What about those of use who have relationships, work, friends and dont give a shit about being "fabulous?" Guess Im not ratings gold. F*ck You BRAVO

Posted by: KB | Aug 14, 2009 10:23:38 AM

6. I'd rather poke my eyes with hot embers than watch that kind of crap.

Posted by: mrmnyc | Aug 14, 2009 10:30:56 AM

7. Thank GOD! I was biting my own tongue when I read that. I can proudly say I've never watched a single episode of the Housewives of Anyplace, but the blogosphere is ripe with the odor of assassinated characters from coast to coast.

Props to all of you and I second that commotion.

"Fuck you, Bravo!"

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Aug 14, 2009 10:38:17 AM

8. How about a doc on real but still interesting urban gay men who DON'T care about fashion, clubs, or being "seen"?

Posted by: freddy | Aug 14, 2009 10:38:54 AM

9. To Adam: Your comment isn't completely accurate. Gay marriages cannot be performed in NY State but they ARE recognized. You can file a joint NY State tax return if you are legally married in another jurisdiction and live in NY.

As for the rest: Sounds like they are trying to build a program around the most vapid gay New Yorkers. Young guy, sugar daddy, shopping. YUCK!! I believe a certain amount of wildness would be necessary for this show to succeed and be accurate, (i.e., some partying, at least one couple in a somewhat open relationship, etc.). But what they've described is just hideous.

Posted by: Jonathan | Aug 14, 2009 10:40:32 AM

10. Amen to all of the above. As if we need more shallow, vapid horseshit on tv. Cripe.

Posted by: Acolyte | Aug 14, 2009 10:43:10 AM

11. another show exhibiting freaks with non-normal lives for the entertainment of tv couch potatoes with no taste and no life whatsoever.

Posted by: northerner | Aug 14, 2009 10:55:23 AM

12. Oh dear.

And here I thought that gay people have plenty of drama, what with all that, you know, election of the most left candidate in several decades who for some reason will not sign an executive order staying the termination of military personnel, and that ever-so-bothersome not-being-able-to-marry-the-person-I-love thing, and the rise in hate crimes, and the rise of HIV transmission amongst young people, and the fact that LGBT people can still legally be removed from their jobs in most states because ENDA has not yet passed been passed; not to mention those troubling issues that concern us all, gay or straight, like, oh, I don't know, the fact that we are hurtling toward human annihilation with the proliferation of nuclear weapons and the very real possibility that we will be destroyed either by natural disaster or the rising ocean levels because of carbon emissions...

On the upside, Bravo is putting out a new "reality" show about gay men with "drama" wasting money on clothes and partying, and who just "NEED" that TV show...wait a minute. That ideas sounds like no reality I know. And I'm gay. Hm.

People: get out your letter-writing pens:

Bravo Viewer Relations
    3000 W. Alameda Ave., Suite 250
    Burbank, CA 91523

Or to send an e-mail, go to:

If you are not pissed, as gay men, by being co-opted in this way, there is something rather wrong with you. Get your head fixed. For those who wrote above: yes to everything you said.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Aug 14, 2009 11:00:35 AM

13. I suspect Andy Cohen is a PRIME example of someone with Narcissitic Personality Disorder ....

Posted by: Willie | Aug 14, 2009 11:02:41 AM

14. blah - let's see what stereotypes they reinforce with this one

Posted by: sundog | Aug 14, 2009 11:07:00 AM

15. Willie, I went on a few dates with him, you'd suspect right

Posted by: ANON | Aug 14, 2009 11:12:40 AM

16. "I'm looking for the hottest young, fabulous gay men NYC has to offer..."

Read: rich, white, self-centered and steroidal.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Aug 14, 2009 11:12:52 AM

17. I'd like to add my AMEN to all of the comments above.

Posted by: Michael J | Aug 14, 2009 11:13:56 AM

18. As if New York City even has a cool nightlife scene to be seen in anymore.

Puke.

Posted by: Trog | Aug 14, 2009 11:15:08 AM

19. Those two guys in the pic look gross anyway.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Aug 14, 2009 11:17:52 AM

20. I sent off an e-mail to the production company last night as soon as I heard about this. I pleaded with them to reconsider plans to produce such a show. This can only make gays look bad at a time where we need to look NORMAL and be treated EQUALLY. I shudder to think at the ammo a show like this would give to marriage equality foes. This will do nothing but further reinforce ugly stereotypes.

PLEASE guys, make a stink about this! You too, Andy! Write to Bravo & True Entertainment. Ask them not to produce this series. We can't afford it!!

Besides, I'm tired of these "reality" shows profiling & making stars out of awful, shallow people! Enough already! What happened to quality, well-written television?!

Posted by: Matt | Aug 14, 2009 11:25:41 AM

21. Just another reason I don't watch TV.

Posted by: SFshawn | Aug 14, 2009 11:33:49 AM

22. Reality TV gets all its energy from narcissistic delusional cast members behaving as inappropriately as possible.

The more cringe-worthy, the better.

So why are all of you bitching about how awful the show will be when that's the whole point?

Posted by: Alan miles | Aug 14, 2009 11:39:20 AM

23. @Alan

Because at a time where gay men & women are battling for civil rights, showing "narcissistic delusional" gay men "behaving as inappropriately as possible" on national television isn't going to do us any good. I think it can only fuel the arguments for the other side, making it harder for us to counter stereotypes.

I know most reality television is terrible & that they profile some awful, awful people, but there's something about this casting notice that struck a nerve. I would love ALL these shows to go away fast, but especially this one.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 14, 2009 11:54:45 AM

24. Yea thats exactly what we need a group of young skinny superficial narcissistic pretentious fags showing off 4 the cameras on TV for millions to watch.

This is why I DONT have a single TV in my house now.I dont watch it AT ALL.

I watch everything on my computer rather it be online or on DVD.Frasier,Golden Girls,Designing Women,Roseanne,and documentaries on astronomy,meteorology,geography,and volcanology are what I watch now and thats what keeps me going.All this tired reality TV bullshit on that "idiot box" doesnt serve a purpose.

Posted by: Jon | Aug 14, 2009 12:06:38 PM

25. Uck. Do those kinds of guys need any more attention? They all sound like the people I can't stand to be around. Trash.

Posted by: Tonic | Aug 14, 2009 12:13:37 PM