ENDA | News

Concerned Women for America Point Gun at Gays

Endagun

Looks like the Concerned Women for America are taking a cue from the angry right-wing mobs flaunting their weaponry at town halls. Lurleen at Pam's House Blend notes the use of a gun in a teaser for an article deriding the Employment Non-Discrimination Act on the group's website. Not to mention the article itself is six kinds of crazy. And if you can figure out what the sentence means in that teaser above, you win a prize.

Comments

1. It is crazy - but what the sentence means is that not having what you want is good.

It is pure anti-straight sexual freedom - which is why the right wingers do not want gay freedom - it might free up the straight husbands who might not stay monogamous.

What that has to do with work?

Any respect for gays threatens to kill the unique power and privilage of married straight women.

And the gun .... remember we are THE ENEMY and now they are brandishing a gun at us --- or we are trying to kill them.... or both.

Sick Mothers

Posted by: Willie | Aug 13, 2009 8:56:47 AM

2. While it's hard to pick a favorite line from this, I think I'll go with "Obama has promised the sky to homosexual activists and the abortion lobby and has moved quickly toward that end." I don't know what everybody's been yappin about!

As an academic, however, I was also bowled over by quoting an article by a British anthropologist from 1935. Who knew J. D. Unwin was so influential! I wonder if my colleagues in anthropology teach his work or use it as an example of something else... Apparently there's a correlation between preserving the chastity of unwed girls and high culture, which is measured by not great literature or the arts or music or philosophy, but -- wait for it -- the number of temples or churches a society builds. Who knew?

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 13, 2009 8:59:24 AM

3. What the hell does losing respect for marriage have anything to do with employment?

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Aug 13, 2009 9:27:51 AM

4. I agree KEVINVT. I’ve seen J.D. Unwin quoted a lot by the anti-gay bigots to prove their point. I haven’t been able to find out much about him though. Evidently he believed cultures declined when women were given rights and also not required to be virgins at marriage causing marriage to decline and like a domino all of society would just collapse. There must be several other issues with J.D. Unwin that make him such an obscure anthropologist.

Posted by: 1♥ | Aug 13, 2009 9:56:28 AM

5. Re: the teaser - as a gay designer who has been married for five years to another gay designer (and we now have a small child), I can tell you that the "delayed gratification" is actually lessening our creative energy along with our contribution to society. However, we wouldn't change that for the world!

Posted by: Matt | Aug 13, 2009 9:59:14 AM

6. Any attempt to parse the meaning of that statement are ultimately futile. Remember, Concerned Women for America are evangelical wing-nuts who are used to nine-kinds of crazy grammar and syntax in the bible verses that they quote. My favorite example of this is on the cornerstone of a Baptist church right here in Manhattan:

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ."

which manages to be both inscrutable and wonderfully dirty at the same time

Posted by: christopher | Aug 13, 2009 10:22:19 AM

7. Y'know, CWA needs to be reminded that threatening to do some Second Amendment on us is counter-productive. Gays can legally carry guns, too -- and when you see veiled threats like this, it makes you far more likely to. Ain't I ain't talkin' 'bout no pearl-handle derringer.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Aug 13, 2009 11:14:52 AM

8. I meant to write -- "AND I ain't talkin' 'bout no pearl-handle derringer." Need to wake up.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Aug 13, 2009 11:16:29 AM

9. Let me explain this comment because I speak crazy. What it's saying is, "We, concerned mothers (concerned about ourselves because God created us to be second class citizens -- it's in the Bible) hate our children. Yes, hate. Because they force us to delay any joy in life until we are old...too old to actually enjoy it. We are forced to lay there and let our fat, paranoid, angry husbands thrust into us (badly and with no chance for our own gratification) and then nine months later we have another screaming mouth to feed. And our husbands are only more pissed off because there is less money to go around and we're tired and our bodies are sagging and we look like hell and we are sad and lonely and desperate. There is no creative energy in our lives...or much of any kind because it's taken up with children who suck us dry and we offer nothing to as parents except to create paranoia and hatred in their souls under the guise of religion, and by the hatred we have for anything wonderful or free or different than our own pathetic, caged existence. We hate freedom, we hate different, we hate, we hate, we hate. And out of hate nothing can be created. But our family has one thing in common: hate.

There, now you have the explanation of the Conerned Women. Lovely bunch, aren't they?

Posted by: Bart | Aug 13, 2009 11:57:59 AM

10. These women are bat shit crazy

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 13, 2009 12:30:10 PM

11. What's ironic is that CWA is mostly run by men and their chief spokesperson is a man. Go figure.

Posted by: mikeyj | Aug 13, 2009 1:52:16 PM

12. Yeah, I thought the whole deal was that homosexuals, not burdened by the task of raising children (not that that has anything to do with marriage, btw), exist to make the world more aesthetically pleasing through hair styling, interior design, and fashion.

Posted by: latebrosus | Aug 13, 2009 2:16:18 PM

13. They've now quietly removed the graphic from the post you've linked to. Any chance you've still got the image address or a screenshot?

Posted by: Johan | Aug 13, 2009 2:25:03 PM

14. Write/call/fax the men, I mean bigots, I mean women at Concerned Women for America and tell them what you think of their new ad campaign:

Concerned Women for America
    1015 Fifteenth St. N.W., Suite 1100
    Washington, D.C. 20005
    Phone: (202) 488-7000
    Fax: (202) 488-0806

Posted by: Brad | Aug 13, 2009 3:20:42 PM

15. What I find most hilarious is that the "Concerned Women for America" article was written by Robert Knight.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 13, 2009 7:37:38 PM

16. SOOOOOoo glad I just got my concealed carry permit. These people are getting frightfully numerous. Starting to scare the shit out of me.

Posted by: Moloch | Aug 13, 2009 11:02:05 PM