Canada | Crime | News

Gay Man Brutally Beaten by Gang of Men in Thunder Bay, Canada

Jake Raynard is in the hospital undergoing surgery following a brutal homophobic attack by a gang of men early Saturday in which he suffered15 cheekbone fractures, and a broken jaw, eye socket, and upper palate, tbnewswatch reports:

Raynard "Raynard, 30, and two friends were smoking outside of a bar after last call when a man approached them for a cigarette. The three friends walked away from the man after he became aggressive. Raynard said as they walked toward the Water Street Bus Terminal a group of males followed them shouting derogatory comments about their sexual orientation. 'It was like they were waiting in the woodwork,' said Raynard, who is gay, from his hospital bed. 'The crowd just seemed to get bigger.' One of the men grabbed Raynard's friend and started choking him. Raynard said he struck the man that was assaulting his friend and then began yelling at the group to try and scare them away. 'I managed to fend off six to eight people by yelling long enough to get them (Raynard's two friends) into a cab,' said Raynard. Once his friends were in the cab, Raynard said the group surrounded the taxi, preventing him from getting in. He decided to run through a nearby alley towards a local restaurant instead, grabbing a brick for self-defense as the men chased him. 'I was screaming loud enough to wake up six blocks,' said Raynard. 'How did nobody hear me?'  He said the last thing he remembers is banging on the window of a nearby fast-food restaurant for help before waking up in the emergency room of Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre on Saturday afternoon."

Thunder Bay is the largest city in northwest Ontario.

Man in Hospital After Vicious Brick Attack [tbnewswatch]

Comments

1. just one question... where are the friends, and especially the cab driver, now, and what did they do that night to help?

Posted by: jack | Sep 8, 2009 8:41:47 AM

2. I hope they catch these bastards and throw the key away - canada doesn't take this crap lightly!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 8, 2009 8:53:33 AM

3. I sincerely hope they arrest these thugs and prosecute them to the full extent of the law! I'm glad to see attention given to incidents like this-so that people are made aware that intolerance is alive and well. Clearly, we need to do more to insure the safety of men and women in our community.

Posted by: robert | Sep 8, 2009 9:34:42 AM

4. "It was like they were waiting in the woodwork"

Yes. I've noticed they are doing this around my town too. Groups of guys scoping out the area, watching the gay bar. Seems like the more visible we become, the more gang-like the bullying becomes.

His friends and the taxi driver should have done something. This one might have been avoided, or at least lessened. Poor guy, my thoughts are with him.

Posted by: Nathan | Sep 8, 2009 9:50:40 AM

5. Where is Bash Back when you need it?

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Sep 8, 2009 10:59:42 AM

6. Hey, don't let Canada turn into America. You know what's comes later. BTW, nothing good.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Sep 8, 2009 11:16:41 AM

7. I feel sorry for Jake at the same time I must remind every gay person that safety should be your number one priority and you should do everything you can to ensure it.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 8, 2009 12:02:01 PM

8. Angers and saddens me. We need more street presence, take by the night, groups trained to walk the neighborhoods to make it safer for EVERYONE as it seems the police are too busy to protect its citizens. My heart goes out to Jake Raynard and all the other victims of hate.

Posted by: CJ | Sep 8, 2009 12:37:12 PM

9. Canada has a better government than ours. It is more progressive. It is more efficient. It is less corrupt.

But that doesn't mean the country itself is some sort of paradise. Only a few months ago, a gang of white men attacked an African immigrant on Vancouver Island. They got their comeuppance. Four against one and the thugs still got bloodied. But the whole incident was caught on video. And it caused quite an uproar in the Canadian media.

There are ongoing problems with discriminatory profiling - including against gays and lesbians - by the provincial government of Alberta as well. It grabs the attention of the national media every few years, fades away after the federal Parliament promises "action," and then pops up again when a new incident arises.

Posted by: John | Sep 8, 2009 12:50:06 PM

10. A lof of us own guns, train in MMA and don't take shit. One day some fuckwad is gonna mess the wrong damn fag. Notice how they're always going to Urban Gay Ghettos to attack faggots? They won't try that shit in another place.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 8, 2009 2:04:53 PM

11. So, Mark, what did you and your buddies do after you assaulted Jake Raynard? Go home and blow each other?

Posted by: mike | Sep 8, 2009 3:31:44 PM

12. This story PROBABLY happened the way it's being reported, but I'm always skeptical. Shawn Bennett's injuries had looked bad too.

Posted by: JT | Sep 8, 2009 4:00:41 PM

13. It's really terrible to hear something like this happened. I live in London, Ontario which is a few hours drive away. It still feels too very close to home. Best wished to him and I hope the people that did this are found and prosecuted.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 8, 2009 6:12:43 PM

14. Andrew - you're an idiot. London is not a few hours away. It's an 18 hour drive... maybe 15 if you cut through another COUNTRY.

While I feel bad for him and his injuries, I don't always believe the way these things go down. We all hear Matthew Sheppard wasn't the angel his mother and the media makes him out to be, makes me wonder if there is a similar story here.

Posted by: Badly Drawn Boston Boy | Sep 8, 2009 8:52:13 PM

15. BDBB: Yeeeeah. Not being an angel oughta get you fucked up anywhere if you're dumb enough to walk outside, in a just world. You viciously stupid troll-twat.

Posted by: tikihead | Sep 8, 2009 11:22:36 PM

16. This kind of shit pisses me off. We've got to fight back and defend ourselves. We can't count on the cops or the courts. Let these scumbags know that they're going to get fucked up real bad if they come into our neighborhoods looking to beat up some gay guys. It's up to us to save ourselves.

Posted by: Jim from Iowa | Sep 9, 2009 7:55:03 AM

17. Gee, BDBB, shouldn't you be watching Hannity & Beck right now? Or better yet, shouldn't you be in bed by now? What a dumb-ass thing to say. Well, obviously you ARE a dumb-ass, so what can be expected? I guess free speech means that even trollish straight boys with no class can post on Towleroad also.

Posted by: mike | Sep 9, 2009 2:37:14 PM

18. I know Jake and he is a great guy and would b\do anthin for a friend! No one no matter twhat should have to go through anyhthing like this! I hope they find the people that did this and they go to jail and get what they deserve!!

Posted by: Friend | Sep 9, 2009 8:58:42 PM

19. That's what I call A Beating. I hope the guy recovers ok.

Where were his 'friends'? Police? This is probably a know trouble spot for them, especially on peak club nights.

And puhleeze! There's plenty of corruption and inefficiency to be found in Canadian gubmint(s) at federal, provincial, and local levels, trust me, LOL! Just because the Canadian courts passed gay marriage doesn't mean you gotta kiss their ass.

Posted by: John in Boston | Sep 13, 2009 12:36:13 PM

20. And London is in SOUTHERN Ontario.....Thunder Bay is NORTHERN Ontario. Ontario is geographically HUGE and mostly empty, rural.

Posted by: John in Boston | Sep 13, 2009 12:39:51 PM

21. " We all hear Matthew Sheppard wasn't the angel "

No, we all don't. You might, but the rest of us don't.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Oct 16, 2009 3:41:01 PM