Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Mehcad Brooks | News | Proposition 8 | True Blood

BigGayDeal.com

Mehcad Brooks Won't Get Married Till Gay People Can

Mehcadbrooks

True Blood's Mehcad Brooks reveals he's a reluctant sex symbol in a new interview with Honey Mag, and he also speaks out for gay rights.

Says Brooks: "I haven’t even gotten that far (thinking about settling down). But yeah, I want a wife, I want kids. The whole thing. But I’m also not even concerned with marrying somebody until it’s legal for everybody to get married. And what I mean by that is the whole Prop 8 thing. I find it really offensive. I just find it really problematic when you start throwing people’s rights away. Until we get our gay brothers and sisters back into a realm of consciousness that everyone else is in, it’s just not right. A woman who’s getting married — it’s probably going to be a gay man who made her dress, and a gay man who’s doing her hair and makeup, but he can’t get married. How messed up is that?"

Comments

1. Well I'm not sure I totally agree with that, either, Derek, but I'm not going to dismiss what you say because I know you're very hands-on involved in this whole issue.

Posted by: JT | Sep 15, 2009 3:13:02 AM

2. Thansk JT, it's nice to be able to have actual discussions. I guess that's the difference between us and those dang Teabaggers! ;-)

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 15, 2009 4:16:54 AM

3. i just want to hug mehcad brooks. what a sexy man and a beautiful person.

Posted by: nic | Sep 15, 2009 4:22:25 AM

4. Rocky,
    You should know the mind of bigot's very well. Just look into your mirror. Do you have to wear an extra thick sheet to your KKK meeting. You really need to realize that people don't like you because of what you look like on the outside it's because you're a very and I mean VERY ugly bigot on the inside.

Posted by: ELI | Sep 15, 2009 10:26:08 AM

5. derek, I will go even further than what you said.

I think that middle and upper middle class white gays live in a bubble, period. As you point out, No On 8 didn't go into the black community but they didn't go into the Central Valley either.

JT, you know what? Although that discrimination works both ways among various ethnic groups, you're right about some of the jaw dropping comments. Myself, I don't really care about the ethnicity of a man (if you're cute you're cute). Some of the comments that I have received from other black gay men just...shock me.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 15, 2009 11:05:59 AM

6. @John, and that's the problem.

See, I want to just take one of my gay white brothers on a little hand holding trip through the Bridgeport or even the Jefferson Park neighborhoods in Chicago (Jefferson Park has a few highly concentrated pockets of Eastern Europeans).

I guarentee you that you will not hear too much about "black homophobia" again after that trip.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 15, 2009 11:24:19 AM

7. So upset they bumped him off "True Blood". Hopefully he'll be in something else, preferably with his clothes off, again real soon! I have a huge crush on him, but he does look a lot like my man!

Posted by: Mike | Sep 15, 2009 11:41:16 AM

8. Why don't you all stop ranting and get back to sewing dresses and doing hair and make-up...

Posted by: John | Sep 15, 2009 12:23:25 PM

9. One of the nicest things about his comment was that it was largely unsolicited. He wasn't asked how he felt about same-sex marriage. He made the comment after being asked if he's thought about settling down someday. Unsolicited advocacy always seems more sincere.

Posted by: Grey | Sep 15, 2009 1:53:13 PM

10. GregV, what Rocky is saying is that some white Gays have race issues against Latinos and People of Colour. I've seen it, heard it and experienced it myself. It's disgusting if not ironic. I've heard some of the most racist comments against President Obama come from white Gays here in NYC. It is SAD.

Having cleared that up: I have liked Mehcad ever since "In the Valley of Elah". It was a bit part he played but an important one. When he popped up on "True Blood" this season, I was glad for him (and I watched every episode). Then, in the final episode of the season, the unthinkable happened! I was disconsolate, not to mention irate!

Then I read that Mehcad will get his own TV series in a starring role. So, we still get to see Mehcad on a regular basis AND he gets to move up a notch in his career. The best of both worlds, I'd say.

Posted by: mike | Sep 15, 2009 2:32:05 PM

11. @Mike

Again.

While in terms of power in the gay community, middle and upper middle class white gays have that and, therefore, should receive the most scrutiny, gay racism is NOT limited to white gays against POC. I think it was a recent HRC report that showed that Asian/Pacific islander gays seemed to be more inclined to say that the gay community is racist.

My first though on seeing that was, huh, I bet they're not simply receiving that from white gays either.

And I myself have protested against some of the "white trash" comments that show up here.

So black gays are totally innocent and the only victims of "gay racism", they can also be the perpatrators of gay racism as well (though not, by and large, against white gays)

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 15, 2009 3:13:23 PM

12. I meant to say that black gays ARE NOT totally innocent in the chrages of gay racism; that they are not only victims, but can be the perpatrators as well.

Gay racism is all of our problem.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 15, 2009 3:15:20 PM

13. I agree with Derek and Rocky... I experience racism by petty white boys in bars/streets/group-get-togethers, etc as an Asian... My friends are some of the best, but they know exactly how I feel and realize what I'm talking about. Even in a city where there is almost no majority such as Philly, there's still petty racism that exists and it's too bad that it does.

But really, this post is about a straight black guy who is advocating for us. One person at a time; that's what we have to do to influence people one at a time. TREAT EACH OTHER WELL, GAY/STRAIGHT/BLACK/WHITE/ASIAN/OTHER MINORITIES AND THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO WILL BE OUR BEST ADVOCATES... It's just too bad that some positivity I'd like to see doesn't come out to others I frequently see in this supposed "City of Brotherly Love"...

Posted by: Scott in Philly | Sep 15, 2009 3:33:48 PM

14. Due to this thread and other incidents, I am putting on a forum on Race and The LGBT community in DC during The National Equality March. This forum will be to TALK about the issue,not scream or blame. We've got to have an honest discussion on all sides in order to move forward on getting the biz at hand accomplished.

The info on the forum should be up on the site this weekend. Say Hi to me in DC! We are all Towleroaders!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 15, 2009 5:11:48 PM

15. Until we get our gay brothers and sisters back into a realm of consciousness that everyone else is in...???

My realm of consciousness is fine, thank you. It's legal rights that I lack.

But it's nice to hear Mehcad take a stand. Bravo!

Posted by: hephaestion | Sep 16, 2009 9:56:51 AM

16. Whomever he marries it will probably be short and messy, because if he only views marriage as political statement, he's missed the point of what marriage is supposed to be about.

I think it's just a cop out anyway, just like Angelina and Brad.

Posted by: Miss Malevolent | Sep 16, 2009 3:37:45 PM

17. Enlightenment is a brilliance to behold in any and all manifestations.

Posted by: Lawrence | Sep 16, 2009 3:39:33 PM

18. i like my "Eggs" sunny side up. Cool dude.

Posted by: cd | Sep 16, 2009 4:00:22 PM

19. Wow...When I read the email that was sent out by one of my fellow "Stoop" members I wondered who the heck was Mehcad Brooks...I have never seen "True Blood" and now I will most definately watch it just to see Mr. Brooks...I am going to have start a Fanclub in Memphis just for him....Mehcad, are you free for dinner so we can discuss the details...

Posted by: Jim Holland | Sep 16, 2009 4:09:17 PM

20. While there is an issue with homophobia in the black community, it's interesting to note that in every state except California and Georgia blacks voted at lower rates than whites to ban marriage equality or to illegalize adoption by gays. Even the city of Detroit voted at lower rates than the state as a whole to prevent marriage equality.

Posted by: Waybig | Sep 16, 2009 4:25:47 PM

21. I am not gay, nor am I a male, black, or white. But I do have a vested interest in these issues as my brother is gay, asian, and has just recently moved to California.

I think a lot of what I feel has already been posted, so I'll just skip to the point that I often bring up with my other politically/activist-minded friends: I find that any time anyone brings up any issue, whether it be gay rights, race rights, animal rights, even fetus rights, the conversations just go round in circles. One person posts something accusing another group of fostering hate/prejudice whatever. This fuels a whole slew of angry responses and it goes on and on.

My point is, while it is important to recognize the injustices and wrongs that may be occuring, it doesn't help any group to do nothing but point them out. My one friend rants on and on about the evils of the government ruining the climate (although more eloquently than that) which does nothing but to spread hate, pessimism, and all in all, not really help the environment.

The same can be said about gay issues. For once, try to enjoy, maybe even praise, someone that is trying to bring out the positives in a situation for once.

Posted by: Karen | Sep 16, 2009 4:30:50 PM

22. The simple fact of the matter is that barely one month ago, Andy posted a story about Brad Pitt’s appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher (http://www.towleroad.com/2009/08/brad-pitt-to-marriage-equality-foes-lets-stop-the-nonsense.html). There weren’t as many comments posted as on this thread BUT they were all positive. Kudos for Brad...

Mehcad Brooks makes an equally compelling, unsolicited, supportive statement about gay marriage and the conversation turns into a referendum about how blacks are more homophobic. Do me a favor...the next time a heterosexual , white celebrity makes an impromptu statement in support of gay rights, can people please be sure to give examples of homophobia in the white community? Please site the pope, Ann Landers, former President Bush, _______ (insert an endless list of heterosexual, caucasian anti-gay bigots here).

Of course I’m kidding but step back and take a look at the bigger picture: the double standard that’s so apparent in the reaction to this story. Apply the standard evenly across the board and the support for our cause will increase from those outside the gay community. There are many, popular and well established political and spiritual supporters of same sex marriage in the African American and community other minorities. Why are they NEVER (or rarely) featured in mainstream gay press? By not highlighting our allies from all backgrounds the blame continues.

John is on point – stop treating people of a differing race as a giant monolith. As a gay black man (or a black gay man), I’ve seen it from all angles against all groups and have experienced it first hand. It’s disappointing to say that it doesn’t surprise me to hear about it but this dialog has got to turn a corner…SOON!

Posted by: Don in NYC | Sep 17, 2009 2:45:42 AM

23. The simple fact of the matter is that barely one month ago, Andy posted a story about Brad Pitt’s appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher (http://www.towleroad.com/2009/08/brad-pitt-to-marriage-equality-foes-lets-stop-the-nonsense.html). There weren’t as many comments posted as on this thread BUT they were all positive. Kudos for Brad...

Posted by: Don in NYC | Sep 17, 2009 2:46:47 AM

24. I'd like to thank Mr Brooks for that comment by sucking him off, deep-throating and swallowing included.

Posted by: AM | Feb 17, 2010 7:28:43 PM