Comments

1. E. says

I’m so thrilled that this film looks great, and that it got attention for its direction and Colin Firth’s acting. I adore Isherwood–I’m actually teaching him in a course in the spring–and was worried Ford just wouldn’t get it right. Slightly irritating that he’s that good looking and already talented and successful in one field, and now he can direct too. But that’s beside the point.
    Also: woah, cast! I knew Firth and Moore were in this, but Nicholas Hoult (who has grown up in to a bizarrely beautiful young man), and Matthew Goode, and did I see Lee Pace and Sherilyn Fenn in the trailer too? It’s like someone cast out of my subconscious.

2. says

That’s not Sherilyn Fenn but Ginnifer Goodwin. But you’re right, great cast, impressive photography (from the trailer so far), for an adaptation of a brilliant novel. I’m sold. Interesting that the president of the Venice jury was Ang Lee…

3. says

Can’t wait to see this! I’ve loved Colin Firth since Another Country, and always thought his Valmont was better than that other one…

I’ll second E above, it is kind of irritating that Ford is hot AND a talented designer, AND now apparently a good director.

4. Paul R says

It looks like a lovely film, but that trailer seems designed to discourage widespread interest. Beautiful, yes. Curiosity-invoking among a certain type of person, yes. But way too artsy for mainstream appeal (focus on eyes much?).

Note that I have no interest in mainstream appeal; I’m merely noting the obvious.

5. Mike in the Tundra says

My husband loved the book, but I found it rather depressing. Still, I never miss a Colin Firth film. Julianne Moore is always great, but apparently I don’t like her quite as much as Colin.

6. Larry says

Paul, I was thinking ths same thing. I’m not a fan of the trailers that give away the entire movie, but it’s helpful to have a little clue into what it’s about, especially for those unfamiliar with the story. Phenomenal cast…can’t wait!

7. says

I didn’t realize Julianne Moore was in this. OMFG. About 7 years ago I was in NY and she was eating at the next table from me—and Sarah Jessica Parker at another, without her hubby :-( . Now when I refer to her with my pop-culture-clueless husband, I always describe her as “my friend Julianne Moore”. I wish. She’s a goddess.

And speaking of which, Tobey Maguire and LAURA LINNEY are shooting in my neighborhood. Why haven’t they stopped by to say “hi”?

8. soupy says

@gayalltheway – No, Colin Firth has never done botox. He’s actually one of the lead opponents of botox and plastic surgery because he feels that it inhibits an actor’s ability to emote (makes sense since his acting style is all focused in his face). There’s plenty of interviews talking with him about it when he did that Dorian Gray movie.
    So all those good looks he still has are au natural :)