Crime | New York | News

Alleged NYC Gay Basher's Father Speaks Out: 'I Caused Him the Harm'

Rod

Daniel Rodriguez, Sr., a former corrections officer and the father of one of the suspects in the savage anti-gay beating last Friday of 49-year-old Jack Price in Queens, spoke to Fox news, begging for mercy for his son:

"I caused him the harm. The minute I stopped being a father to my son, I hurt him. And for those who have already judged my son, I say, show mercy...I'm sorry. I want to say sorry to Mr. Price and his family. [My son] doesn't hate. We didn't bring him up that way. To hate others, you know?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The younger Rodriguez and the other attack Daniel Aleman face 15 years if convicted of assault as a hate crime.

Previously...
Anti-Gay NYC 'Beatdown' Wasn't a Hate Crime, Says Friend with Leviticus Tattoo [tr]
Daniel Rodriguez, Second Suspect in NYC Gay Bashing, Brought In [tr]
Watch: Brutal NYC Gay Bashing Captured on Video [tr]
NYC Gay Man in Coma After Savage Beating; 1 Suspect at Large [tr]

Comments

1. Yes, we should show Rodriguez all the mercy he gave to Jack Price.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 16, 2009 1:06:27 PM

2. I'm sorry sir, but your son is an adult and his own man now. He should pay for his crimes just like anyone else. Most violent criminals have a sad backstory, that doesn't excuse them of the harm they cause others.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 16, 2009 1:09:58 PM

3. I feel sorry for the father because this is a parent's nightmare. But this isn't about the "mercy of the public," this is about a crime and the law. His son made choices and now he must suffer the consequences of those choices.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 16, 2009 1:14:34 PM

4. Although I sympathize with a father's plea, his suggestion that his son "doesn't hate" and that this violent action was not done "out of hate" is completely incredible. Just because your his father don't whitewash the truth. We are not stupid. I can hardly think of anything more hateful to do to a person than what his son did to Jack Price.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 16, 2009 1:14:50 PM

5. Yes let's show him some mercy and only stomp on him for 5 minutes instead of 10. Maybe only only bust his ribs on one side of his body.

Posted by: qjersey | Oct 16, 2009 1:15:51 PM

6. A parent can take as much or as little blame for the actions of their children, but it doesn't change what happened, no matter how much daddy's heart hurts.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 16, 2009 1:21:43 PM

7. No sympathy, no mercy. Your opportunity to make a difference in your son's life has passed. You failed as a parent and your son is a failure as a human being. Now you get to see how your lack affects society. Fuck you and fuck your son. He deserves everything he gets and so do you.

Posted by: tooboot | Oct 16, 2009 1:22:02 PM

8. Gotta agree with Wes.

Sorry the dad suddenly realizes he's a failure as a father. But if dad had actually watched the video, he would see exactly just how much his son DOES hate!

Now his son gets to spend the next 15 years getting raped by the other inmates. Never ceases to amaze me, these kids talk all this smack about how they hate gays, then do everything in their power to get themselves locked up so they can turn punk in prison.

It's still gay, shithead - even in prison.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Oct 16, 2009 1:24:41 PM

9. death penalty

Posted by: Gregsy | Oct 16, 2009 1:28:10 PM

10. I find it curious that Fox news felt the need to broadcast the father's plea for mercy on behalf of his son. STOP WATCHING ANY FOX SHOW! Including Glee! They don't deserve the advertising dollars that they get when it clearly supports their anti-gay agenda!

Mercy for your son? No! Mercy for you maybe but none for your son!

Posted by: Marc | Oct 16, 2009 1:29:38 PM

11. Too late, Mr. Rodriguez. Damage is done. Ask Jack Price.

Posted by: David T | Oct 16, 2009 1:29:45 PM

12. I honestly feel sorry for any parent who faces this type of situation.

Maybe you should have and could have taught him differently had you been a dad, but the bottom line here is that this kid is full of hate, and he is an adult who acted on his own to beat and almost kill a man in his own neighborhood.

What are you people teaching your children?

Posted by: DanE | Oct 16, 2009 1:32:11 PM

13. I guess the lawyer told him to do a public statement like that for his son's sake.

He stopped being a father to hi son, so how does he know that his son doesn't hate? Apparently he does and there's a man in a comma for proof. And apparently he did brought up his son like that.

Posted by: YvesPaul | Oct 16, 2009 1:33:35 PM

14. I wonder, if Mr. Price had beaten and stomped Mr. Rodriguez's son so severely, doing great physical harm and putting him in a coma, while shouting anti-Hispanic, racist epithets, would Mr. Rodriguez, Sr. be taking the same stance? Would he be asking the public to show mercy to his son's attacker? Sorry, sir, your son is an adult. Whether you raised him well or served him ill as a poor parent is for you deal with on your own. Your son is a hater and a violent menace that threatens society. He should be jailed until such time as he no longer poses a threat to anyone.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 16, 2009 1:34:33 PM

15. Heh,

I had a shitty dad too.

And I'm well aware of the difference between right and wrong and what happens to you should you get caught.

Sorry dude. He did his crime, he'll have to do his time.

And since karma is a real beyatch, I have to wonder if you'll see him taking it up the wazoo from some burly convict as you are working.... that would be harsh.

Posted by: Darren | Oct 16, 2009 1:35:15 PM

16. Sorry dad but you are a day late and a dollar short.

What's done is done, however, if you really believe this is a result of your failure, you certainly have the opportunity to step up and change things going forward. That, however, will have no bearing on the criminal proceedings that start now.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 16, 2009 1:36:35 PM

17. Yeah, this crime had nothing to do with an irresponsible parent.

His son should go to jail and Dad should help that little monster to become a better person in between the inevitable bashings he will receive in prison. Although you might think otherwise, perpetrators of hate crimes do not generally do well in prison.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 16, 2009 1:39:43 PM

18. when they're sent up the river i guess they won't be able to refuse offers of gay sex quite so agressively.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 16, 2009 1:48:51 PM

19. soliciting sex with graffiti on the wall on some deserted street at 4am. Don't they have the internet in College Pt? Something about that allegation doesn't add up...

Posted by: hall | Oct 16, 2009 2:02:36 PM

20. The guy should get props for trying to take some responsibility for his dickhead offspring, even though it's a misguided effort.

Posted by: MikeMick | Oct 16, 2009 2:09:11 PM

21. You know what the real issue here is don't you?? Mr rodriguez knows full well what his son has done and what will happen in a court and more importantly he knows first hand what will happen to his son in prison whether for a year or a few years or 15 years, that boy will become the "Bitch" for so many more powerful men and he will get passed back and forth like the shitbag he is...... you do not want to be 19 and be in prison!! I can only hope he enjoys what that 10 mins will do for the rest of his life!!! I have no sympathy for him! As for his father - the film speaks for itself and for the scum that his son has become and i fail to see any jury feeling any sympathy for him when they find him Guilty and the judge does the right thing by proffering the maximum sentence!!

Posted by: alex in Boston | Oct 16, 2009 2:13:39 PM

22. Why is anyone assuming the thug will get prison time? Do they live in a different world than me? It fascinates me that so many think this is a "slam dunk guilty going to jail". He should, but will he? I wish I could be so sure justice will prevail.

Posted by: Miles | Oct 16, 2009 2:28:45 PM

23. I doubt that this kid learned that kind of hate just off the street or in school, most kids learn that early on and in the home.

I grew up in White Stone, the next town over from College Point, in Queens. While we were a little more upper middle class, the trash and hate out on the street was the same. I was 12 when I heard a kid say 'ni#@er' and I asked my older brother what it meant. He smacked me in the had and told me if our Dad heard me say it I'd get the belt.

I was lucky because most of the kids on my street had parents who both used it, as well as against other religions, races (even us micks) not to mention faggots. My brother in law was from College Point, or garbage point as people in our area called it. When I met his friends they were the lowest White Irish trash you could find.

While Rodriguez Sr. may be sorry, and claims there was no hate in his home, I doubt that's true. As for his kid not serving time, he is being held without bail now. I'm sure that the guards will look the other way as he learns the ropes of what is coming his way.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 16, 2009 3:18:54 PM

24. As a former corrections officer ... Dad knows all about what 15 years in prison is gonna do to his kid.

that 19 year olds ass and mouth are gonna get a workout.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 16, 2009 4:29:13 PM

25. Hmm sorry daddy, it's a little too late..

Posted by: Danny | Oct 16, 2009 4:33:00 PM