Bevan Dufty | Buju Banton | Jamaica | News

Buju Banton: 'There is No End to the War Between Me and Faggot'

Banton

Despite having met with a group of gay leaders and activists this week, Jamaican 'murder music' singer Buju Banton says his attitude toward gays has not changed:

"This is a fight, and as I said in one of my songs 'there is no end to the war between me and faggot' and it's clear. The same night after I met with them (gay associates), they pepper-sprayed the concert. So what are you trying to tell me? I owe dem nothing, they don't owe I nothing."

Bnton He said he only met with them because Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who is running for San Francisco Mayor, asked him to:

"It is not about boxing food out my mouth, if a that I would have surrendered to the system a long time ago. The mayor of San Francisco, or the mayor-to-be, claimed that I was in his district and that it was imperative for him and his organisation to meet with me to further see what kind of personality or character (I have)."

Banton said he will continue on despite cancellations, which he added aren't hurting him: "I have two-and-a-half more weeks and let me tell you this, if a show has been cancelled or postponed by this group of people, it has been picked up and replaced in another venue. Let the struggle continue. Pray for I, don't cry for I."

Banton's L.A. show, which was initially cancelled, was rebooked on the DL. A protest was reportedly held in front of the Cabana Club last night.

Comments

1. "Pray for I, don't cry for I."

me won't do neither

Posted by: doug | Oct 16, 2009 2:18:43 PM

2. He needs to go away, like right now. I thought pot heads were suppossed to be mellow, nice people. Go back to your shitty little island you hate-spewing ass!

Posted by: Androjai | Oct 16, 2009 2:19:14 PM

3. Jamaica is a filthy hell-hole, full of stupid violent ass-holes. Stay away from it. Strangle their tourist dollars. There are plenty of other islands to visit.. Try St Lucia.

Posted by: hank | Oct 16, 2009 2:25:51 PM

4. @ Hank agreed St Lucia is fantastic!

Posted by: Androjai | Oct 16, 2009 2:26:51 PM

5. Its really just an Eddy Murphy gag, right?

Posted by: Pee Town | Oct 16, 2009 2:37:57 PM

6. Look, this guy is an asshole... but all this hateful, racist, classicist vitriol against Jamaica, Jamaicans and reggae (you are the moron of you're going to denigrate the influence of Reggae on ALL of popular music including punk, blues jazz, dance and all electronic music). The comments on this site are really shocking sometimes...

Posted by: Mr. McGinnis | Oct 16, 2009 2:46:02 PM

7. See?

Now is the time to hate on Buju Banton. I wish people hating on the gays who met with him would think things through a little. Now that he's gone back on his word, again, it will be much harder for idiots like SF Weekly's Eric Arnold to claim that racism is behind gay anger at Buju Banton.

Arnold lied and claimed that gay activists pepper sprayed Banton's San Francisco concert. SF Weekly editor Tom Walsh refuses to apologize for allowing Arnold to make the BAnton concert their "pick of the day" for the anniversay of Matthew Shepard's death. THOSE two-- not the people who met with Banton-- deserve your hate and scorn.

Banton is now on record again in 2009 saying that the war between he and faggot is not over. Good. Makes it easier to shut him down.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Oct 16, 2009 3:02:11 PM

8. I knew there was something up when I saw all the pictures and Buju Banton was not smiling in any of them.

Keep fighting this anti-gay bigot and get all his shows cancelled.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 16, 2009 3:09:31 PM

9. @ JIM

Speaking for my country, two things:

1. You said you've been visiting there for 20 years due to work, so you despise us but have absolutely no qualms about taking our money to support your hedonistic lifestyle,innit? And....

2. Fuck you and the arrogant idealistic horse you rode in on.

Again, I'm NOT defending Buju but question the motives to judge an entire country based on a few reports.

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Oct 16, 2009 4:01:10 PM

10. AND TO EVERYONE WHO CALLS JAMAICA NAMES, back off, okay?

- we kicked ASS in the Olympics and World Games, and we ARE number 1 per capita in the world in athletics.
    - we DID place ahead of the USA in the bobsled category in our initial entry.
    - our music is known world-wide, a great achievement for an island of only 2.8 million.
    - our cuisine is legendary
    - our beaches have won numerous awards
    - we WERE the country that created the "all-inclusive" hotel concept.
    - out island is the acknowledged diplomatic core for the Caribbean and South America.
    - our Blue Mountain coffee is the best in the world.

So, go ahead - call us names. We're still a proud people.

Assholes......

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Oct 16, 2009 4:12:45 PM

11. @ CARIBTONY,

Amen. That judging a whole people is what gets me too. When they do it, they sound like a bunch of smug, exploitive (and of course, racist) bitches....with bad dental work. Hell, they give "tourist" a bad name...especially "gay tourist".

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 4:14:14 PM

12. Buju Banton is a homosexual, hopefully he can come to terms with his sexuality and effect positive change in his country, instead of promoting hatred and violence

Posted by: martin | Oct 16, 2009 4:28:13 PM

13. So are you all saying that Jamaica is a gay friendly country and GO JAMAICA! Has something changed since 2006, when Time Magazine wrote a piece called 'The Most Homophobic Place on Earth'?

This is not based on race or class, but actual laws and practices of the country. Buju Banton is a natural reflection of that ignorance and those practices.

I'm just pointing out that most people on here would do better to choose another Carribean country if they are going on vacation.

Posted by: Gregoire | Oct 16, 2009 4:45:41 PM

14. I always find it odd that countries that were formerly colonies, such as Jamaica are always so homophobic and cite Christianity as their reason for it. I mean, do they even see the irony? The fact that the religion forced upon them by their colonizers, which was once used to oppress them, is now being used by them to oppress others.

Seriously, these backward ass countries would be better off being colonies. Obviously the locals have no idea what is good governance and civil order. Before anyone calls me racist or whatever, just look at Jamaica, which practically ranks number one in drug crime and rape. Wow, thank Jesus for that! The 3rd world shit holes deserve to be third world.

Reggae and hip hop are disgusting, they are homophobic, misogynistic, and encourage degenerate behavior. If any group that we needed to have a war declared on it would be those degenerates that plague society with crime.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 16, 2009 4:53:48 PM

15. ALAN, AGAIN, how did it happen? Did colonial rule and slavery have something to do with it? Or, are Jamaicans just inferior people? Are West Africans inferior people? If so, then that means that people of African descent in the Western Hemisphere are inferior people. I don't like no white man telling me that I am inferior.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 5:02:54 PM

16. Thanks, Bevan Dufty, for throwing gays under your bus.

Posted by: SFdude | Oct 16, 2009 5:03:53 PM

17. @ Derrick from Philly

All I was saying is that people that used to be victims of oppression from religious dogma shouldn't turn it around and use it to hate others. Furthermore, I also said that Jamaica along with some other former colonies are pretty backward and crime ridden. I mean, these are facts. How is this racist? Don't go calling the PC police on me, thanks. As for hip-hop and reggae, I don't know how anyone can say that it is not homophobic and doesn't encourages bad behavior, I mean, turn on the freaking radio.

...and FYI I'm not white.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 16, 2009 5:12:27 PM

18. "...and FYI I'm not white."

Then you understand, ALAN, how difficult this subject for Gay Jamaicans, Gay Africans and Gay Americans (North & South) of African Descent. We are separate when it comes to nationality, cultures, religion, views of beauty, music, etc. But we are ONE in the eyes of white racism.

I'd say that 90% of my gay-bashing experiences were at the hands of black men (and a few gals too). THat might give me every reason to hate my own race, and become what some black gays call "a snow queen". But I can't. THose 10% of my gay-bashing experiences from white men were also black-bashing experiences--it has an impact, ALAN. I will always be black....an American of African Descent.

When I'm around black folks, I am gay first and black second. When I am around white folks, I am black first, and gay second. I didn't create that circumstance. It was created for me.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 5:28:39 PM

19. @Derrick from Philly

Look, I don't care what race or ethnicity anyone is. I just don't like cultures that promote homophobic behavior, whether religious, ethnic, or whatever. In those cultures that ARE homophobic I think they should be encouraged to change or be marginalized. Those that do not afford tolerance to others first do not deserve to be tolerated. I know not every Christian or Jamaican is homophobic, no one is saying that. What I am saying, however, is that there are trends in certain groups and it shouldn't be inappropriate to point that out.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 16, 2009 5:49:02 PM

20. I thought it was "vanilla queen".

Posted by: jmg | Oct 16, 2009 5:51:04 PM

21. Let me give you a dose of your own medicine using headlines on Towleroad from this week alone to judge the USA:

- Catholic League's Bill Donohue: Gay Adoption Against Nature
    - Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License in Louisiana
    - 53 House GOP Sign on to Anti-Gay Witch Hunt
    - Illinois Teacher Receives Warning for 'Black Fag' Comment
    - Alleged NYC Gay Basher's Father Speaks Out

Oooooo, based on these headlines I think the USA is filled with ignorant, racist, gay basing, bible-thumping witch hunting people and is a cesspool of a country fill with asholes..(oh wait)........

DON'T GO AND VISIT!!! THEY'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU WITH THEIR BIBLES AND CROSSES!!!!

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Oct 16, 2009 6:37:09 PM

22. "Reggae and hip hop are disgusting, they are homophobic, misogynistic, and encourage degenerate behavior."

"Also, I don't understand this "gay culture is dominated by white people" talk. I mean, who cares? It's not like there's membership dues to be part of "gay culture."

"and FYI I'm not white.

@ALAN: But do want to be?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 16, 2009 6:56:39 PM

23. @ Caribtony

Yeah, believe me I'm not a fan of the US either. Look every country has crazy people, no one is denying that. I'm sure there are homophobic people in Sweden too. But that doesn't change the fact that comparatively Jamaica is way more homophobic that Sweden and that should be pointed out, and hopefully changed. To just say "well there are crazy people everywhere so all cultures are equal" is total denial BS.

@ Derek Washington

Umm, no I don't have a desire to be white. Do I have to love reggae and hip-hop to be a minority? FYI, I'm not black either. I don't know why some people have this "minority vs whites" mentality. We're all equal. Saying that a person of an ethnic minority who is also "mainstream" is selling out or whatever is just counter-productive.

Posted by: Alan | Oct 16, 2009 7:11:04 PM

24. Landon Bryce touched on this, but I wanted to make sure it's clear that it was not the protesters who pepper sprayed the audience. Eric Arnold (a journalist with or contributor to the SF Weekly) claimed in an article that the protesters rushed the door during the concert, rushed inside, and sprayed the audience. This was long after the protesters had already left (once the concert started, the audience was already inside and their point had been made), and was based solely on information provided by Buju Banton's representatives without any contact with either the club nor the protestors. The club's marketing manager immediately called the SF Weekly to clarify that the incident had nothing to do with the organized protest, and also publicly reached out to the protests' organizers on Facebook to publicly exonerate them.

I wanted to stress this because elsewhere I've seen some people deplore the protesters' actions, when in fact they were completely nonviolent.

Also, not a huge fan of Bevan Dufty, but in fairness he was pretty vocal about his concerns after the meeting with Buju and continued to support the planned protests even after the meeting. The meeting was necessary because Buju's P.R. people were arguing that it was an old song that Buju no longer performed and no longer agreed with its sentiments. The delegation that met with Buju needed to make sure that wasn't just P.R. spin. Unfortunately, his subsequent comments seem to have belied that, and let's hope other venues don't fall for that spin any more.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 16, 2009 7:12:57 PM

25. Since you brought up Christianity, read Wikipedia's article (yeah, I know, but this isn't exactly a college course) on the country, and learn how sub-Sarahan Africans got there: white
    Christian slave owners brought them there.

The indigineous people of the island were Tainos and Arawaks, whom the Spanish (Columbus landed there in 1494 and claimed it for Spain) treated badly, and many of them died of diseases carried by Spanish settlers.

Posted by: Attmay | Oct 16, 2009 11:55:39 PM