Bevan Dufty | Buju Banton | Jamaica | News

BigGayDeal.com

Buju Banton: 'There is No End to the War Between Me and Faggot'

Banton

Despite having met with a group of gay leaders and activists this week, Jamaican 'murder music' singer Buju Banton says his attitude toward gays has not changed:

"This is a fight, and as I said in one of my songs 'there is no end to the war between me and faggot' and it's clear. The same night after I met with them (gay associates), they pepper-sprayed the concert. So what are you trying to tell me? I owe dem nothing, they don't owe I nothing."

Bnton He said he only met with them because Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who is running for San Francisco Mayor, asked him to:

"It is not about boxing food out my mouth, if a that I would have surrendered to the system a long time ago. The mayor of San Francisco, or the mayor-to-be, claimed that I was in his district and that it was imperative for him and his organisation to meet with me to further see what kind of personality or character (I have)."

Banton said he will continue on despite cancellations, which he added aren't hurting him: "I have two-and-a-half more weeks and let me tell you this, if a show has been cancelled or postponed by this group of people, it has been picked up and replaced in another venue. Let the struggle continue. Pray for I, don't cry for I."

Banton's L.A. show, which was initially cancelled, was rebooked on the DL. A protest was reportedly held in front of the Cabana Club last night.

Comments

1. This guy is just insane. Really talented artists don't need this BS to get famous.

Posted by: OY | Oct 17, 2009 12:17:34 AM

2. Can't someone just go to a concert and shoot him in the head?

Posted by: bunker | Oct 17, 2009 12:27:18 AM

3. C'mon, now -- are we surprised?

Posted by: DeeVee | Oct 17, 2009 12:41:59 AM

4. That photo is an embarrassment. PLEASE make sure Dufty doesn't win.

It would be interesting to know who allowed this dude to be booked into their clubs.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 17, 2009 10:32:11 AM

5. Reminds of the VERY anti-gay black dude from the Bahamas I used to work with. He also thought U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan were all 'pussies' who deserved to die.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 17, 2009 10:41:02 AM

6. Off topic, but what is that weird grimace on the lady's face next Closet-case Banton? The only time I get that expression is when I hear someone scrapes the lid on a cheap styrofoam cooler.

Posted by: TikiHead | Oct 17, 2009 11:29:24 AM

7. PC middle-class white gay men constantly bowing and scraping and kowtowing to homophobic straight blacks in some kind of bizarre vain effort because they still feel bad about slavery.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Oct 17, 2009 2:06:53 PM

8. I was recently on a cruise that stopped in Jamaica. If I'd known ahead of time about their cultural attitudes towards gays, I would have re-book a different itinerary.

I've been all over the world, including many, many countries less-well-off than Jamaica. Never once have I visited a less friendly, more parasitic locale. I've backpacked, alone, throughout Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand... and never once felt the kind of animosity and need to watch my back as I did while I was in Jamaica.

Poverty is no excuse for the attitudes I saw there. I've experienced much poorer societies, with less hope -- and they've been gracious, welcoming and very willing to share an exchange of cultures.

Jamaica has a systemic hatred and lack of morality that goes much deeper than just their hate of the LGBT community.

I'm not trying to paint all Jamaican's as being cut from the same cloth -- but until they get their shit together (as a country), they're not going to get a lot of warm, fuzzy vibes (or $) from the rest of the world.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 17, 2009 7:00:27 PM

9. I don't think HIV in Jamaica can be attributed to gays, I believe it's straights who are the strongest carriers of it there.

Once you get out of tourist Jamaica the rest is so backwards and dirty, it's like night and day.

Posted by: TylerAnthony | Oct 17, 2009 7:17:55 PM

10. I grew up next to a neighborhood with a lot of Jamaicans. Jamaicans are NOTORIOUS for being assholes. NOTORIOUS for being racist. They even think they're better than, and look down on, American blacks.

Now I don't know why this is because, while other black Caribbeans are just as homophobic, they tend otherwise to be much nicer people.

Posted by: John in Boston | Oct 17, 2009 8:02:20 PM

11. Banton is actually, in my view, worse than Fred Phelps (which is quite a feat). To my knowledge, Fred Phelps has never advocated actually murdering gay people.

Suggestion: Let's channel this anger into making sure Mr. Banton doesn't work another single minute in the United States ever again (if not other countries as well); and that no one, at any level (e.g., club owners), profits one penny from his work.

Also, see boycottjamaica.org. Jamaica is not the only homophobic country in the world, but it's really, really bad for gay people there.

Posted by: Matt R | Oct 17, 2009 11:35:50 PM

12. PS: Michael Savage was banned from entering the United Kingdom for inciting hate. We have different rules here, but I think it would be completely appropriate to ban Buju Banton from entering the United States.

Posted by: Matt R | Oct 17, 2009 11:41:58 PM

13. It is worthwhile to watch YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8Z0biU_Zw “Elephant Man Buju Banton Shabba Ranks Boom Bye Bye” In this video, Buju Banton says: “[churches] preach homosexuality is a crime. So what wrong have I done when I say that homosexuality is wrong?”

To the conservative Christian churches and the Rastafarian religion that Buju Banton is familiar with, that believe in the literal truth of the laws in Leviticus in the Bible, homosexuality is not only a crime, it is a capital crime. Buju’s statement in “Boom Bye Bye” is essentially an echo of the call from the Old Testament for execution of gays.

It is also a call for vigilante action against gays, a call that is too often heeded in Jamaica and elsewhere.

It is important to note that Buju Banton is not the only reggae dancehall artiste making such calls http://www.petertatchell.net/popmusic/Dancehall-Dossier-FINAL.pdf Buju is the one making a major tour of the U.S., though.

Buju Banton performs “Boom Bye Bye” much less often these days. The song has been controversial since it was released in 1992. Even though he performs the song less often, perhaps even seldom, the song can be downloaded on Amazon and is available on compilation CDs. Most of Buju’s fans know this song by heart. Buju just says that the song was written a long time ago. He has never repudiated “Boom Bye Bye.”

For more information see http://cancelbujubanton.wetpaint.com/
    and http://www.petertatchell.net/popmusic/buju-bantons-violations-of-the-reggae-compassionate-act.html

Posted by: SamK | Oct 20, 2009 12:32:01 AM

14. > AND TO EVERYONE WHO CALLS JAMAICA NAMES,
    > back off, okay?

The all-inclusive hotel concept, you say.

Well, when you put it THAT way...

Posted by: TonyRz | Oct 20, 2009 3:13:53 AM

15. Those people who posed smiling with Homo-hater Banton have a lot of 'splainin' to do!

Posted by: hephaestion | Oct 20, 2009 12:19:29 PM

16. Why did the U.S. allow this man through customs? He should be banned from the U.S.

Posted by: Mykelb | Oct 20, 2009 4:02:20 PM

17. It's funny how gay people try to act so sophisticated in public but now listen to how ignorant and stupid you sound. Your hate shows, and I thought your trying to end the "hate war".. This peace by day and war at night mimics your straight by day and gay by night fucked up way of life. Just becuause you want us to accept it doesn't mean we have to... its repulsive to many people, and we have a right to feel that way... You should focus all this energy on fixing the men who are married to women and are at all the hot spots at night fucking which ever man will bend over.... yes I work at one of those underground places they are all over the friggen country, and maybe we straight people should start bloggin about it so it is public to the world.

Posted by: Mel | Dec 7, 2009 3:30:47 AM

18. ...which is why he is cooling his heels behind bars right now, LOLOLOL... It serves him right. I hope that all of that self-righteous indignation and hatred that he has for gay people that never did anything to him, serves him well in jail (moving the same cocaine that he sings against). Maybe if he minded his own damn business instead of breaking into homes and beating the crap out of people who can't help being gay, he wouldn't be caught up in this hypocritical stupidness. Ignorant idiot.

Posted by: dee | Dec 14, 2009 9:27:42 AM

19. listen to all u little wankers n faggots tryin dis my country wot the man sayin is right battyman faggot gay wot ever u call thm is not right it says so in the bible a man n a man shuld not lie down together is the bible wrong too.and as for jamaicans u lot love our style n food n dance culture n beaches and a nuff mre so dnt evr try diss my country lil faggots

Posted by: orlando | Dec 22, 2009 1:49:43 PM

20. as for jim if jamaica is backwards n still in slave mentallity y did u go thr over 20 times idiot.

Posted by: orlando | Dec 22, 2009 1:52:39 PM

21. i bet most of prbly all u lot that post negative comments on this page r faggots

Posted by: orlando | Dec 22, 2009 1:54:30 PM

22. wah wrong with buju banton, nuthing wrong with buju banton, ya people na like him or otha jamican music, den na listen it, live ya life, an do ya things, an na botha, us artists will ya
    is it normal den to be guy na think soo,

bloodklaat ya people realy haf na sence, use a brain, an mek ya life betta, stop ya guy activities, dat is sickness,

AN BANTON NA SING TO KILL YA PEOPLE BANTON NA TELL US TO KILL YA PEOPLE, DO NORMAL MAN, GET BLOODKLAAT SENCE

Posted by: jahra | Dec 30, 2009 4:11:21 AM

23. My commentary will be posted in three parts:

Part 1:

This response is exclusively for CARIBTONY who posted a commentary about Jamaica on October 16, 2009, on Towleroad.com. CARIBTONY, I will try to refrain from calling you out as a degenerate, demonic bugger. Oops, I said I will try to refrain from that. Anyway, let me address the disparaging remarks that you made about the island of Jamaica and its citizens.

"Having traveled through Jamaica many times for work (I've been there over 20 times) I can say, without a hint of racial prejudice, that they are the most ignorant, backward and hostile people I have ever met. They hate white people and tourists, even though the tourists are their only real industry. The island produces little or nothing in the way of products other than marijuana and jerk sauce. The Jamaicans are still in the slave mentality, where white slave owners abused and colonized them. As a culture, they are one step above savages. Violence is a way of life for them - a way to settle arguments and establish authority. They are on the same cultural level as the Taliban. Poverty and ignorance are widespread. The school system is a joke, even though all the kids wear uniforms. Hatred of gays is preached everywhere - from the schools, pulpit, on TV. One local TV show features a recurring sketch with men in drag who get beaten. Beating up homos is entertainment to them. I despise this horrible island and everyone on it. All tourism to the island should cease - and once Cuba opens up, it probably will. They are lazy, backward."

Addressing your charge that the people of Jamaica are the most ignorant, backward and hostile people you have ever met, I REFUTE EVERY WORD OF YOUR IGNORANT, BACKWARD AND HOSTILE STATEMENT. The people of Jamaica are some of the most socially-conscious, spiritually-aware, and proud people I have ever met. The people of this little island have been at the forefront of the black-conscious/liberation movement from the beginning of the island's history when the fierce and valiant Ashantis who were called the Maroons fought against British domination and liberated themselves in the 1700's to become the first autonomous people of African descent in the Western Hemisphere. Later on in the country's history, Marcus Mosiah Garvey and others enlightened the Jamaican people about their African heritage and from then the Rastafarian movement was born. From the Rastafarian culture, Jamaicans created a revolutionary music form known from one corner of the globe to the other, as there are few countries where Reggae music does not move and groove the people. The developing world's first international superstar, Robert Nesta Marley a.k.a. Bob Marley was a Jamaican. Furthermore, Bob Marley was not the first and won’t be the last Jamaican the world recognizes for contribution to our human experience. Today, many Reggae artists sing of one-love and freedom for the oppressed. The Jamaican people's support of Reggae music and its many positive messages demonstrate that Jamaicans are not ignorant, backward and hostile.

Posted by: AllTruth1 | Jan 14, 2010 6:50:03 PM

24. My commentary will be posted in three parts:

Part 2:

Addressing your charge that Jamaicans hate white people and white tourists, even though the tourists are their only industry. Perhaps, the reason that many Jamaicans feel hostility towards white tourists is because they truly understand what many whites are about, i.e., many white tourist go to islands like Jamaica and bring with them attitudes such as yours. Many Jamaicans are not fooled by hypocritical whites who want to be treated as kings and queens by "the natives" when they come to Jamaica but when Jamaicans go to their countries then whites treat them like second-class citizens. White tourists have for years come to islands like Jamaica with their strong currencies and have exploited impoverished young girls and boys by buying sex from those children. Jamaicans are against the molestation of their children and many white tourists have been guilty of immoral acts against Jamaican youth who they rent for sex.

Addressing your charge of Jamaicans being one step above savages, well, sir/Madame, I can think of no greater display of savages than whites who have travelled the globe with the mentality of "kill, steal and destroy." Is there a culture on the face of this earth that whites have not devastated? The savagery which whites displayed towards Native Americans throughout North, Central and South America is visible today in the diminished stature of the once blessed with land and resources Native people. By the way, some Jamaicans have Native American ancestry via the Arawak Indians of Jamaica. Moreover, the savagery which whites displayed towards Africans enslaved in North, Central and South America is visible today in the disenfranchisement of blacks in the Diaspora who suffer from the remnants of slavery and colonization. The once noble Hebrew Israelites such as, the Ashanti who fled Jerusalem during Babylonian invasions then sojourned to West Africa were in later centuries forced onto slave ships and brought to Jamaica. Ashanti, Ibos, etc. were originally Hebrew Israelites forced into slavery in Jamaica by whites who brutalized them and labeled them niggers, instead of labeling who they are - The Lost Sheep of Yisrael (Hebrew Israelites). However, Jamaicans are not allowed what the world allows groups such as, the "Khazar Jewish coverts" and that is the Jews are allowed to never forget the atrocities that were committed against them. But, oh, no Jamaicans are not allowed to feel resentment for the injustices whites inflicted upon them throughout many centuries. Also, over the last decades, whites have caused more suffering in Jamaica via imperialist tools as exploitative Multinational Corporation, i.e., white-owned bauxite corporations, white-owned sugar cane companies, etc.

Addressing your charge about Jamaica's violence, I must agree that there is a lot of violence in Jamaica. However, during the past decades, many of the weapons were smuggled there via white-owned transport for the purpose of arming the impoverished youth in the ghettos/garrisons with weapons to kill political leaders that white-ruled countries were against. My case and point: during the political and social upheavals of the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s, the United States CIA and State Department were active in supplying Jamaican gun-men with guns to attack Michael Manley's supporters so obviously Manley would lose the elections. A political-culture of gun violence developed with US backing. Please read BORN FE DEAD by Laura Gunns, a Harvard educated writer who lived in Jamaica for a decade before writing the book cited. In addition, many Jamaican youth are influenced by violent Hollywood movies which really export violence. Sadly, many behaviors that Jamaicans now have were learned behaviors from their centuries of encounters with the barbarian-like, racist people from Europe who destroyed the psyche of generations of Jamaican people.

Posted by: AllTruth1 | Jan 14, 2010 6:51:43 PM

25. This is the third part of my commentary to CARIBTONY's posting of October 16, 2009.

Part 3:

Addressing your charge that Jamaicans are lazy, I wholeheartedly rebut that lie. Worldwide Jamaicans are recognized as being industrious people. A common joke in American about Jamaicans is about how many jobs they hold at one time. Jamaicans living on the island do not have the employment opportunities that Jamaicans abroad have for the simple reason that it is a poor country; it has been forced into a position of indebtedness through the evil-hands of imperialism and poor leadership by leaders who allowed international organizations like the IMF and World Bank to destroy its economy with austere measures for loans. During the 1970's under the leadership of Prime Minister Michael Manley, Jamaica's economy was good and its currency more solid than the US dollar. Look up these facts by using United Nations Development resources. Also, look at the documentary LIFE&DEBT about the role imperialism played in destroying Jamaica's economy. On a lighter note, the hard work of the Jamaican athletes in Beijing, China in 2008 showed how hard-working Jamaicans are; the athletes were Jamaica's ambassadors and represented the hard-working attitude of Jamaicans, as they won eleven medals and placed Jamaica in the 20th position of medal winners out of over 100 countries.

Addressing the homophobia in Jamaica, I can only say that I don't condone the killing of any group of people because another group does not like them. However, I do applaud the vigor with which Jamaicans are fighting to keep their country a primarily heterosexual one. If the entire human race decided to practice homosexuality then humanity would cease to exist. You know, many homosexuals want their cake and eat it too, as the expression goes. They want to practice the Gay lifestyle (Gay sex) but use the heterosexual norm of procreation to have children for their Gay unions. Jamaicans see the Gay lifestyle for what it truly is: SIMPLY CONTRA-PROCREATION, DOWNRIGHT DEMONIC IN ITS ESSENCE AND MANY STEPS AWAY FROM BEING THE REFLECTION OF THE DIVINE CREATOR OF THIS AWESOME UNIVERSE.

Finally, for all the arguments that I presented in my rebuttal of your bias commentary about Jamaica and Jamaicans, I URGE YOU TO EDUCATE YOURSELF SO THAT YOUR IGNORANCE WILL CEASE, ELEVATE YOUR THINKING ABOVE YOUR GENITAL AREA SO THAT YOU WILL NOT CONTINUE TO BE BACKWARDS AND SEEK PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING SO THAT YOUR HOSTILITY TOWARDS JAMAICANS WILL STOP. ONE LAST NOTE, SAVE YOUR SOUL BY TURNING FROM HATE AND MOVING TOWARDS LOVE!

ALL PRAISES TO YAH, THE MOST HIGH!

Posted by: AllTruth1 | Jan 14, 2010 6:53:51 PM