Gay Slurs | Kentucky | Louisville | News

Kentucky Gay Group Works to Shut Down Homophobic Bar Owner

Woodystavern

The Louisville, Kentucky-based LGBT group Fairness Campaign is working to put a local bar out of business after its owner drove out customers using homophobic and racist slurs, WHAS reports:

"Members of the Fairness Campaign, along with other LGBT groups, spent the day handing out fliers, trying to convince people not to go to Woody's Tavern because of an alleged incident two weeks ago. Chris Hartman, Fairness Campaign says, "Woody's Tavern owner David Norton chased all of his customers out of the bar.  As he did he yelled an anti-gay slur at them calling them all 'trashy faggots' and then referring to a group of African American patrons in his bar he said 'look at the color of their skin you know what's on the tip of my tongue.' It's not the first time Woody's Tavern owner, David Norton, has been accused of making these kind of comments.  in August, he issued a public apology for comments made over a year ago."

Fairness Campaign announced its boycott last night.

Comments

1. What none of these articles mention is that David Norton, the homophobic bar owner, is gay, one of the most self-loathing gay people I've ever known -- and I've known [and avoided] him much of my life. He is evil incarnate. He also owns another local bar, The Mag Bar, and these businesses should be boycotted by any self-respecting gay person. David is a very dangerously deranged person.

Posted by: J | Oct 7, 2009 9:38:06 AM

2. Actually J, he sold mag bar. though, the people that own it now are just as bad. Boycott MAG BAR, and Woody's.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 7, 2009 12:45:17 PM

3. I wouldn't be caught dead in that trashy bar. Guess I'm boycotting it then.

Posted by: cricket | Oct 7, 2009 5:13:07 PM

4. This is clearly a case of "Making a Mountain Out of a Moe Hill"

In April 2008, Professor Kaila Story overreacted at Woody's Bar with the two dogs by jumping on top of the pool table. On September 21, 2009 there were (according to sources) four African-Americans playing pool at Woody's and after they had problems with the table, instead of reporting this to the bartender(s), on their own they lifted the table and let it drop to the floor to dislodge the balls. As you can see with Professor Kaila Story and the four African-Americans this can throw off the leveling and/or crack the slate top of the pool table which would be very costly to repair and much more $$$ to replace. For the most part and in this day and time people do NOT respect other people's property, especially in a bar where drinking is going on... With this in mind Woody's Bar owner, David Norton rightfully so confronted Professor Kaila Story and the four African-Americans, but overreacted with his alleged racist and sexist comments.

ALL parties where out-of-order and overreacted... But, now the Fairness Campaign/LGBT rights organization want to stone David Norton and his business to death. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. They are demanding him to sell Woody's or close the doors and never re-open again. You do NOT stone a man and his business to death over a few racist and/or sexist comments. This is nazism stuff. I believe the motive and intent of the Fairness Campaign/LGBT rights organization is unfair and wrong in this case. I am a purple heart vietnam veteran and I sense a smell of nazism/communism rule. With that said... I, Miss Laci do NOT give the Fairness Campaign/LGBT rights organization her seal of approval in this case and does NOT and will NOT support a boycott againce Woody's Bar... But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44... This bible verse is my prayer for this case... Love, Miss Laci

Posted by: Miss Laci | Oct 7, 2009 7:17:04 PM

5. No matter who overreacted when, or what's a mountain or a molehill, I urge anyone who wishes to avoid hatefulness, chaos and violence to keep far, far away from this psycho. Trust me, I know whereof I speak. The stories I could tell...

Posted by: J | Oct 7, 2009 8:45:36 PM

6. ... and for the record, this "Miss Laci" [bot? or la norton itself?] has posted this same long verbatim apology for his racist, homophobic behavior at every website which has covered this story.

Posted by: J | Oct 7, 2009 9:43:27 PM

7. Miss Laci, if you want to spend your money with racists, you go right ahead. Granted, I think the money would be better spent on basic English classes, but to each her own. I know I won't be setting foot into Woody's so long as this deranged bigot owns it.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Oct 8, 2009 12:19:39 AM

8. The reason I posted one long comment to so many websites was in hopes to help quench the fire on this matter. If you would read my comment posting complete one more time slowly and put yourself in David Norton's shoes then set back and think about it... ???

Now about Miss Laci: I am a white male crossdresser with blue eyes and dark brown hair, 6' 2" (without heels) and about 190 lbs and considered by some a walkin' mudflap. You can look Miss Laci up on Facebook, just type in "Mudflap Laci" or you can meet me in person Thursday nights at Starbase Q for karaoke or if you like feel free to visit Miss Laci's "Zazzle" custom product homepage at: www.zazzle.com/miss_laci* ... Best Kisses, Miss Laci :)

Posted by: Miss Laci | Oct 8, 2009 1:46:51 AM

9. I'm somewhat confused here. I never agree with racism in any fashion! But when did this occur? I was under the impression and understanding Woodys closed it's doors on September 23, 2009. If that is the case, how could this have happened just a few days ago? Is this a way to drum up publicity for a person or group?

Posted by: Really? | Oct 8, 2009 8:02:23 AM

10. Laci, I'd prefer not to "set" back and put myself in David Norton's place because he is a raging psychotic racist. I do not give my money to known racists. Period. Are you saying he gets some kind of pass on his racism because he owns a gay bar? I ask because I honestly do not get your very strange logic. It is like saying we should put ourselves in the shoes of the owners of lunch counters in segregated Selma, Alabama. It is ridiculous. Racists do not deserve our business.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Oct 8, 2009 6:02:14 PM

11. Hi Christopherm... Hope this helps (See #1).

At another website where I posted a comment before this one the over see'er said my comment was deeply offensive that I compared the Fairness Campaign to "nazism stuff" or "nazism/communism rule" and any additional reductio ad Nazium comments will be deleted.

In his comment about my comment he made my point (see #2). I hope he gets the comparison with the "Woody's revenge case" without being hurt, because that's not my motive or intent.

1. Now, if somebody pitched a fit, called you a name you don't like which was foolish and inappropriate then suddenly you are able to cause their business to shut down what would you call it? I don't think the word would be "Fairness" do you? The Woody's revenge case (shutting down a business over name calling) is an over kill.

2. You were offended and angered because I made a "nazism/communism rule" comment about the Fairness Campaign and now if I use those words again on your website you will shut me down and put me out of business of posting comments about this case. Now, if you really want revenge (like the Woody's revenge case) because I offended you and hurt your feelings go to the Fairness Campaign, they may be able to help you get my computer takin' away from me.

3. I, Miss Laci is a white male crossdresser and on the front lines. So, in my case how many businesses would you say I could get shut down (if I really tried) in a years time because of name calling and sexist comments about me?

4. What ever happen to: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. (caution: if you don't know who you are then and only then will words hurt you).

5. Going into a bar, restaurant or anywhere else is a personal choice. If you don't enjoy the atmosphere, the food or the reputation of the owner do NOT be a patron at that place of business. Now, if the owner is not running or operating his business decently and in order and if you give him enough rope he will hang himself by forcing his own self out-of-business. It's that simple !!!

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44... This bible verse is my prayer for this (Woody's revenge) case... Love, Miss Laci

Posted by: Miss Laci | Oct 10, 2009 1:37:04 AM

12. Who cares about a small crudy bar? They ought to close down AVOL that takes money from the gay community and gives it out to straight drug addicts instead. What little they don't pocket themselves that is.

Posted by: god | May 15, 2010 10:33:46 PM