Johnson Apologizes for ‘Faggot’ Slur as Chiefs Tell Him, ‘Stay Away’

Johnson Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson apologized today for telling two members of the media to "get your faggot asses out of here" in the locker room on Monday. Johnson directed similar language at a fan on Twitter.

Said Johnson: "First of all, I want to apologize to the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs and the rest of the NFL, Commissioner Goodell, the Chiefs organization, Coach Todd Haley, his staff, and my teammates for the words I used yesterday. I regret my actions. The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate. I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said.

I also want to apologize to all the kids who view athletes as role models. I was not a good role model yesterday and hopefully I can become a better role model. We all make mistakes, and the challenge is to learn from them. I will do my best to learn from this one as I move toward becoming a better person, teammate, and member of the Kansas City Chiefs team and community."

According to ESPN, "The Chiefs have told Johnson to stay away from practice or 'other team
activities' until a review of the incident by the team and the league
is complete, the team said Tuesday."

Comments

1. Latebrosus says

BTW, in the current issue of GQ (with Terry Richardson’s “Tittyfuck me!” photo of January Jones on the cover), Zach Galifianakis drops the f-bomb on p. 213. Do we declare a fatwa on him, too?

2. GregV says

@Latebrosus,
    That would depend on the context, not the word itself. Were the comments used to degrade an entire class of people he knows nothing about? Larry Johnson’s comments on Twitter aren’t quoted above and were worse.
    In any case, there has hardly been a “fatwa.” A death threat issued by a fanatical religious leader is quite different from a peacefully-articulated suggestion from affected parties that someone’s comments were inappropriate.

3. Mykelb says

Apparently he is No Role Model as widipedia explains, “Johnson has been arrested four times since 2003 on various assault charges against women. In 2003, he was arrested for felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor domestic battery for waving a gun at his at-the-time girlfriend, during an argument at his home. The charges were dropped when Johnson agreed to participate in a domestic violence diversion program. In 2005, he was again arrested for assault when a woman accused Johnson of pushing her to the ground, but the case was dropped after the alleged victim failed to appear in court for three different hearings.

His third arrest for assault came on February 24, 2008, after allegedly pushing a woman’s head at a nightclub on February 24.[14] On October 10, 2008, Johnson was arrested for the fourth time and charged with one count of non-aggravated assault for allegedly spitting a drink in a woman’s face at a Kansas City nightclub on Oct. 11.[15] It is believed that Johnson attempted to flee from police officers but was tackled after two yards.[15] The woman involved, Ashley Stewart, has since filed a civil suit against Johnson, accusing him of negligence, assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress.[16]”

What do you expect from such a violent homophobe?

4. princely54 says

“I did not intend to offend anyone.” – Interesting. He most certainly DID mean to offend the guys he hurled the invective at. What a piece of shit human being, to be blunt.

MYKELB shows us plenty of evidence of him being a real head case. Nobody, minor or of age, should revere this scumbag.

5. Giovanni says

“That would depend on the context, not the word itself. Were the comments used to degrade an entire class of people he knows nothing about?”

Galifianakis relayed a story in which he told a former (gay) employer to “get his faggot hands off of him” because he felt he was being inappropriately touched. He then went on to say he has said that to others before (without explanation of circumstances).

I am not sure why HE has gotten a free pass especially since he relayed the story with little irony or remorse – as if it were just a conversation between two buds instead of a profile in a magazine with millions of readers – a great many of them gay including its editor in chief.

Things that make you go hmmm….

6. Q says

Giovanni, don’t even waste your breath. Because the posters on here are very “selective” about who they target for their venom, if ya know what I mean.

7. DR says

Well, if he was being inappropriately touched by another guy, such is life, to be honest.

I didn’t think this is a big deal and am honestly surprised that the Chiefs are taking this action. Of course, it could also be related to the comments he made about his own coach, but…

8. Bill says

Zach Galifianakis needs to apologize too. Anti-gay bigotry is so omnipresent that eventually every heterosexual will have to apologize because anti-gay bigotry is created and perpetuated by heterosexuals.

Gay people need to stand up every time something this happens and DEMAND an apology.

9. Derrick from Philly says

“A death threat issued by a fanatical religious leader is quite different from a peacefully-articulated suggestion from affected parties that someone’s comments were inappropriate.”

“….peacefully-articulated….” HA! (I’m laughing like Baby Jane Hudson)

I’m not impressed with Mr Johnson’s apology either, but yes this was a fatwa–a homo fatwa…peacefully articulated, of course.

10. reggie says

I meant to make this comment on the original article… but how exactly is this “straight” guy in Kansas City so well-versed on gay people Christopher Street? I suspect some self-hatred here.

11. Dave says

I like the apology – it clearly conveys the message to everyone else that what he did was wrong. And it’s underscored by an appropriate punishment from the team.

I don’t really care so much if he’s had an epiphany or not. I care about all of the young fans listening and seeing that this talk is deemed inappropriate by the role models – and as a football player, he is a role model.

12. kansastock says

Wow. Larry(‘s ghost letter writer) is getting pretty good at this shit.

I just hope the Chiefs let him back cause they really need a guy like this.

13. Thomas says

I guess I’m no longer a fan of Zack G. – I thought he was kind of cute before, although, granted, about 75 lbs. overweight. And considering his girlish figure – large Marge – he should be thrilled that anybody put their f—-t hands on him. He’s officially off my list, I won’t see his movies anymore. (I give him about 5 minutes as a “star” anyway. He’s not exactly Cary Grant.)

14. Chris says

@ GregV

What do you mean by “That would depend on the context, not the word itself”

Really?, So it’s okay for gays to call each other faggot, and punk, and cocksucker when they get mad at each other?

You can’t AT ALL be serious?

Because if that is the case when he said that there were no Gays in the locker room.

And your point is or rather isn’t?

15. John in Boston says

He has agents and PR people who told him to apologize for obvious reasons. It might cost him more MONEY than it already has.

He DID NOT specifically apologize to homosexuals as a group.

But seriously, WHO here has never called someone a faggot or fag in anger or jest? Who?

16. Steve Kerbow says

With all the crap that these Pro Athlets(?)put people through, whether in the lockerroom, at home or wherever, I believe the should put through rigorous Physcological Evaluations before being allowed to play any Pro Sport! This should start in High School through College and right before signing with a Major League Team! There is no sense for animal cruelty, domestic violence or throwing around any derogitory remarks about anyone or thing! They should be fined heavily, suspeneded and if caught doing it again, expelled from their sport!

17. Thomas says

People like Johnson (does he know his name means “dick”? — lol!) who use the “F” word – well maybe he could in turn expect a slur to be used against him — I wouldn’t do it, but what goes around comes around, it’s just karma, he shouldn’t be surprised. Also, he used it not as much because he hates us, but more because he hates himself, or his circumstances, so he uses that slur on reporters who’s orientation he didn’t even know, and just hurls anger outwardly at whomever is closest. He’s most unhappy with himself, not us. Or he’s unhappy with his coach, but he’s too much of a wimp to say it to the guy’s face, so he tweets it, or takes it out on reporters, or gays, or whomever. (Not to say that white jocks don’t use the “F” word unfairly too, they do plenty, and it’s just as wrong!) Whenever anyone uses slurs like that, it’s internal stuff they’re not dealing with too well, not anyone else’s stuff. They’re insecure — and often closet cases themselves, big surprise. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he was completely on the down low, and full of self-hate.)