Discrimination | Education | Mississippi | News

Mississippi School Refuses to Publish Yearbook Photo of Lesbian in Tux

Ceara

Wesson Attendance Center, a K-12 school located south of Jackson, Mississippi, is refusing to allow out lesbian Ceara Sturgis to publish a photo in the yearbook in which she is wearing a tuxedo.

The AP's Shelia Byrd reports: "Traditionally, female students dress in drapes and males wear tuxedos. Now, the American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi has gotten involved, issuing a demand letter to Principal Ronald Greer to publish the picture of Sturgis in the tuxedo. The ACLU says it's giving the school until Oct. 23 to respond before pursuing court action, said Kristy L. Bennett, the ACLU's legal director. A secretary for Greer referred questions to Copiah County Schools Superintendent Rickey Clopton, who declined to comment on Thursday. Sturgis said she should get to decide how she looks in the senior photo."

Said Sturgis: "I feel like I'm not important, that the school is dismissing who I am as a gay student and that they don't even care about me. All I want is to be able to be me, and to be included in the yearbook."

Watch a video report HERE.

Comments

1. This story made http://detentionslip.org ! Check it out for all the crazy headlines from our schools.

Posted by: Hall Monitor | Oct 16, 2009 8:52:09 AM

2. Oh my God! It's Chad, from Bravo's "Million Dollar Listing"!! I knew he was a lesbian!

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 16, 2009 9:06:40 AM

3. Wow it's clearly about her haircut and face more than her clothes! If a big haired gal with makeup on was in a tux, no one would care.

Posted by: Tom A | Oct 16, 2009 9:28:54 AM

4. I don't get it. Marlene Dietrich wore a tux in the movie "Morocco" almost 80 years ago, and no one seems to be kicking up a fuss about that. Would they rather she be nearly topless, like other girls dress in HS?

Posted by: A.D. | Oct 16, 2009 10:24:01 AM

5. "female students dress in drapes"?

Suddenly I'm seeing Carol Burnett's version of Gone With the Wind.

I mean, really, it's not like she's asking to wear a leather harness or fur. Some people feel and look more comfortable in tuxes than in drapes. School administrators are so uptight.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 16, 2009 10:53:38 AM

6. "Suddenly I'm seeing Carol Burnett's version of Gone With the Wind."

LOL ERNIE, don't you dare bring back those memories on a late Friday afternoon. It was through Carol Burnett that I learned to be a classy 10 year old queen doing impersonations of Davis, Crawford, Mae West and others for my fouth grade classmates (in the middle of North Philly). I'll love her forever.

AND...Miss Carol Burnett was a Southern Girl...well, Texas is South, aint it?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 16, 2009 4:26:39 PM

7. I saw it in the window and couldn't resist. My favorite CB sketch ever.

Ah, Derrick, we could have had some fun with the drapes back in the day, though I am confident that your impersonations would have been far superior to mine. You could have taken me under your glittery wing and my pubescent years would have been better for it!

(I heard Carol in a Canadian radio interview lately, and she's still sharp as can be, bless her hilarious heart.)

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 16, 2009 8:29:47 PM

8. Please take action for Ceara through this Unity Mississippi page. Tell the superintendent and principal what you think: http://unityms.org/featured/action-show-your-support-for-ceara.html

Posted by: Brent | Oct 17, 2009 10:30:57 AM

9. Thanks Brent - I wrote them an email to let them know my thoughts.

For others who want to help, their emails are:

Principal Ronald Greer
    rdgreer@copiah.k12.ms.us

Superintendent Ricky Clopton
    rclopton@copiah.k12.ms.us

Posted by: me | Oct 17, 2009 2:42:23 PM

10. So it how many other seniors are there at this school? Or is she the only one. At least, that is how it seems. Maybe this shouldn't be just about you and what makes you happy.
    I think everyone can live their lives as they see fit, just not cram it down everyone's throat.
    That is one of the things wrong with our society.

Posted by: Teresa | Feb 3, 2010 9:33:02 AM

11. wow that is really dumb! Branson High doesnt care if you are gay straight bi sexual anything as long as we are following the dress code. I am bi-sexual and i dont get treated no different by mii school principle. Some teachers are a different story but i know i can go to mii school and not have to worry about anything.

Posted by: BooBoo | Oct 4, 2011 2:31:50 PM