Football (American) | Gay Adoption | Gay Rights | National Equality March | News | Scott Fujita | Sports

New Orlean Saints Linebacker Scott Fujita Speaks Up for Gay Rights

Fujita2

New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita talks about why he is endorsing the National Equality March and why he supports gay rights in an interview with Dave Zirin in the Huffington Post:

Fujita "By and large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should be past the point of debate. Really, there should be no debate anymore. For me, in my small platform as a professional football player, I understand that my time in the spotlight is probably limited. The more times you have to lend your name to a cause you believe in, you should do that...A year ago or two years ago, I remember reading about an initiative that was proposed in the state of Arkansas. It was some kind of measure that was aimed at preventing adoptions by single parents. Now, the way I read that and the way that I translated that language was that only heterosexual, married couples could adopt children. As an adopted child that really bothered me. I asked myself, what that is really saying is that the concern with one's sexual orientation or one's sexual preference outweighs what's really important, and that's finding safe homes for children, for our children. It's also saying that we'd rather have kids bounce around from foster home to foster home throughout the course of their childhood, than end up in a permanent home, where the parent, whether that person's single or not, gay or straight. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's a home that's going to be provided for a kid who desperately needs a home. As an adopted child, that measure really bothered me. It just boggles my mind because good, loving homes for any child are the most important thing."

Fujita, who is straight, married, and has kids, also discusses homophobia in the locker room and whether or not his views on gay rights make him a target for mockery among teammates.

Adds Fujita: "I have no concern about that whatsoever. I know who I am. My wife knows who I am. I don't care one way or the other Dave. I imagine that when some of this gets out guys in the locker room might give me a hard time, and they always give me a hard time. They call me the Pinko Communist Fag from Berkeley. I'm used to it. I can take it all."

Comments

1. What great insight! Kudos to Scott for speaking up!

Posted by: Rad | Oct 7, 2009 8:59:40 AM

2. Mr. Fujita, thank you. I can't say more than that. What a great start to my day.

Posted by: David T | Oct 7, 2009 9:05:12 AM

3. Wow - what a lovely, articulate statement. It's nice to see that this intelligent guy is using his platform to help others. I appreciate it.

Posted by: steve | Oct 7, 2009 9:14:47 AM

4. If The National Equality March has inspired a heterosexual linebacker on an undefeated team to take the time to stand up and speak out for the equality of gay people, then you know that the march has already made a difference even before it's begun. Some young football fan might just hear of Scott's views and rethink some of thier own homophobia towards gay people. This is wonderful.

Thank you Scott Fujita!

Posted by: Wayne | Oct 7, 2009 9:14:54 AM

5. It is always nice to gain another ally. I know some gays that I wish were as articulate and sensitive as this straight man who really does get it.

Posted by: kujhawker | Oct 7, 2009 9:59:27 AM

6. This is great to hear. Of course I wonder what his position would be if he hadn't been adopted?

So his teammates are calling him "the Pinko Communist Fag from Berkeley". The guy is clearly straight and this is what they're saying to him because he supports gay rights. It really does show you the extreme level of homophobia in football.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 7, 2009 10:07:47 AM

7. How cool! We need more allies like Scott.

Of course, this being Towleroad, I'm awaiting someone's snarky comment in 4..3..2..1..

Posted by: db | Oct 7, 2009 10:08:27 AM

8. There actually IS a smart football player out there. I'm stunned!

Posted by: Billy | Oct 7, 2009 10:09:01 AM

9. Hunky on the outside, gorgeous on the inside.

Obviously his adoptive parents did a STELLAR job imparting good sense and respect for fellow man. In turn, Scott's own kids are incredibly lucky to have such a positive and strong influence in their lives.

And I absolutely love how he started with, "By and large in this country the issue of gay rights and equality should be past the point of debate."

So true.

Posted by: sparks | Oct 7, 2009 10:09:10 AM

10. I'm now a fan of his.

My only question is why does the NFL tolerate coworkers calling each other "Commy pinko fags."? In any other workplace, the person doing the calling would be dragged into HR and given a stern talking to, warning, or a firing. That's where the NFL loses in my book.

In the meantime Geaux Saints!

Posted by: Darren | Oct 7, 2009 10:15:25 AM

11. I've always found it strange when people looked up to athletes as heros, well Mr. Fujita you can wear that tag proudly sir. Thank you.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 7, 2009 10:19:22 AM

12. I'm shocked no one has shown up yet to completely disregard his message and blast the guy for using "sexual preference."

JohninManhattan must be out sick today.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 7, 2009 10:19:42 AM

13. He brings tears to my eyes and plenty of HOPE for a brighter future!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

Posted by: Jake | Oct 7, 2009 10:25:07 AM

14. sparks

ditto ....on everything you said

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 7, 2009 10:26:39 AM

15. Who dat?! haha What a great guy. I'll be cheering for # 55 in a couple weeks against the Giants! Geaux Saints!

Posted by: Coffee & Chicory | Oct 7, 2009 10:27:17 AM

16. Stand up guy.

Posted by: Chuy | Oct 7, 2009 11:24:31 AM

17. I'm with Jake.

As I read this, I started tearing up, too.

Posted by: gerry | Oct 7, 2009 11:26:11 AM

18. this really is remarkable...what an intelligent man. I think it is wonderful having someone like this in our camp.
    I also heard that Lady Gaga is going to March for Equality...not as big of stretch for her...but many people are taking this seriously. :)

Posted by: Paul | Oct 7, 2009 12:06:21 PM

19. *sigh* too bad I gots to cheer against him when the Big Blue take on the Saints.

Posted by: DR | Oct 7, 2009 12:30:07 PM

20. He just spoke up for thousands and thousands of individuals. I just may become a football fan.

Posted by: DeeVee | Oct 7, 2009 12:44:02 PM

21. The National Equality March had nothing to do with is opinion. It's a personal one he's always had.

Posted by: unruly | Oct 7, 2009 2:04:51 PM

22. Damn it. Articulate... and smart enough to leave the Chiefs after a few years. Bowing to Scott.

Posted by: kansastock | Oct 7, 2009 3:35:33 PM

23. "Whatta man, whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man!"

Posted by: Jimmy | Oct 7, 2009 5:23:32 PM

24. Wow... how refreshing to hear such an articulate and touching comment from a generally homophobic arena (Football)... Thank you, Mr. Fujita you're a truly Stand Up guy. Awesome! Hopefully your stand will make others in your team and your sport take what you said to heart, possibly changing their attitudes on the gay cause...

Thank you so much again!!

Posted by: CKNJ | Oct 8, 2009 9:14:33 AM

25. Tears here too - thank you Mr. Fujita!!!

Posted by: WPM | Oct 8, 2009 11:40:45 AM