Football (American) | Gay Slurs | Kansas City | Larry Johnson | News | Sports

Who Doesn't Know the Word 'Faggot' is Offensive?

Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson and his agent Peter Schafer, or so Schafer claims:

Johnson"We know the N-word is unacceptable, that's not disputable -- but f*g? I'm learning that there's a segment of our society that finds it offensive and that it should not be used. I didn't realize that, but I do know now..."

Johnson received a one game suspension for directing the slur at members of the media and a fan on Twitter earlier this week. He is appealing the punishment.

Comments

1. "Nigger" is unacceptable? Why? What power do words have? What segment of any civilized society would find that word offensive? Come on tell me! I'm not offended by words, I'm threatened by actions. Oh? the word was Faggot? Oh never mind.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Oct 30, 2009 6:51:06 PM

2. These two idiots should just keep their mouths shut and pay the fine.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 30, 2009 6:52:02 PM

3. Sorry, but that could possibly be the lamest thing I've ever heard. What a fucking idiot!

Posted by: JR | Oct 30, 2009 6:59:20 PM

4. His head is to far up his ass to get with the 21st Century.

Posted by: Marc | Oct 30, 2009 7:04:50 PM

5. WOW - I agree, that is SO LAME. You know when he said the word, I was not offended as I just disregarded him as ignorant and homophobic BUT to say he had no idea the word was hurtful makes him a liar as well.

Posted by: Wicked Gay Blog | Oct 30, 2009 7:14:44 PM

6. If he didn't know it was offensive why did he use the word? What exactly was his intention in his use of it if he didn't know it was offensive?

He should should be punished more for being a lier.

Posted by: John M | Oct 30, 2009 7:20:38 PM

7. Wait a minute Andy didn't you post a video with a group of "hunky" white men singing and in the beginning one of them called another one a "faggot". These are your words below Andy:

This clip has been all over Facebook this week. I was tempted to post it earlier but I was repelled by one dude who calls his friend "faggot" in the clip's opening segments, and the macho strutting around with guns (and I'm not talking about biceps).

But, now that its maker, YouTuber "santinichris", felt the need to change the video's description to "WE ARE ALL STRAIGHT" (because, I guess, people were accusing them of being "gay" in the YouTube comments) I've decided to post it to illustrate the kind of 'art' that can emerge when repressed homosexuality is given a video camera.

However you posted it any way, you did not find it that offensive, so like the n-word is there a lighter and non-offensive use for the gay f-word? Or was it all that man flesh you found yourself needing to celebrate in high praise of. By the way lacing your comments with "they might be gay" is highly offensive, lame and unimaginative.

Posted by: thetruth | Oct 30, 2009 7:39:56 PM

8. Wait a minute Andy didn't you post a video with a group of "hunky" white men singing and in the beginning one of them called another one a "faggot". These are your words below Andy:

Posted by: thetruth | Oct 30, 2009 7:43:49 PM

9. The great thing about being a minority group that's often described with a pejorative is that we get to decide when its use is acceptable.

Posted by: Tommy | Oct 30, 2009 7:51:34 PM

10. Tommy, just think how lucky I am to be in BOTH categories! Yay, me!

I think he should have used the word 'asshole' as only the target of that word would be offended and not an entire group of people. Although, I DO realize there is an entire group of people who are, indeed, assholes. The beauty of it is that assholes never know they are one until someone calls them that! (Example: Larry Johnson is an asshole. See?)

Posted by: princely54 | Oct 30, 2009 8:07:54 PM

11. Is it really possible that someone could be that stupid to make a comment like "We know the N-word is unacceptable, that's not disputable -- but f*g? I'm learning that there's a segment of our society that finds it offensive and that it should not be used. I didn't realize that, but I do know now..."

Either Johnson just crawled out from a rock or he's been playing football without a helmet during his off season.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 30, 2009 8:09:47 PM

12. Funny how people here get all up in arms about the words "nigger" and "faggot" - But don't apply the same standards of self-righteousness to misogynistic insults such as "cunt", "bitch", "whore", and "cow" whenever there is story about Maggie Gallagher, Carrie Prejean, or some other female homophobe.

You hypocritical gays just make me laugh...

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Oct 30, 2009 8:24:45 PM

13. Interestingly, perennial Buju Banton apologist Eric Arnold told us on Queerty recently that Banton was trying to be politically correct by using the word "faggot" in his most recent statement about us (a repeat play of "There is no end to the war between me and faggot"). He claimed that Banton did not know the word was offensive. That was ridiculous, but not half as stupid as this. Shafer joins Aaron McLear is most pathetic liars of the week.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Oct 30, 2009 8:34:02 PM

14. If he hadn't known it was offensive then he wouldn't have used it. Does he really believe that most of America is as stupid as he obviously is?

Posted by: ChrisM | Oct 30, 2009 8:37:46 PM

15. Apparently, GrabbinNewscum, you utter imbecile, you have a slight problem with simple concepts. Last time I checked, no one disputes those terms as being offensive. I imagine that would be why they are used to insult.

People are posting here in regard to these slow witted asses even pretending that it was unheard of that faggot could ever be considered offensive. It's called reading comprehension. You might try it.

Posted by: LiamB | Oct 30, 2009 9:00:17 PM

16. I happen to think both that Maggie Gallagher and Carrie Prejean are big kunts, AND I think that as gay men we probably should recognize that those highly charged words should probably be used less.

Posted by: stephen | Oct 30, 2009 9:23:50 PM

17. I wonder if Larry Johnson or his agent would have been cool with anyone calling THEM a faggot. After all, they don't know it's offensive, right?

I kinda doubt they'd just shrug it off.......

Posted by: PDQ | Oct 30, 2009 9:26:30 PM

18. Liamb is a cunt.

lol!

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Oct 30, 2009 9:36:16 PM

19. I'm the least politically-correct person in the world, but I can see the offense of "cunt" when it's meant as a putdown. It really IS a putdown of female humans. It's so stupid anyway. Slang for a woman's vagina? Why is that an insult? Babies come out of there. (And that "didn't know" excuse of Johnson's really is hard to buy).

Posted by: JT | Oct 30, 2009 10:29:09 PM

20. Seriously? That was the best comeback you could come up with?

Thanks for proving my point.

Posted by: LiamB | Oct 30, 2009 10:59:50 PM

21. At first, I didn't care at all. Even though he used the word with direct reference to being gay ("Christopher Street Boy"). I mean, sure, it's offensive, but if we got upset everytime an athlete offended us, we'd be here for a long long time. However, for him to claim he didnt' realize that was offensive, well, now I'm insulted. His own father released a statement that HE was insulted by and ashamed of his son's behavior. You know, I may take some manure off your hands, but don't try selling me a bridge to get it home. In either case, it's bullshit.

Posted by: Jon B | Oct 30, 2009 11:11:02 PM

22. This isn't the first time I've seen this response. Recently some new guys people have started hanging with my circle of friends. These guys are straight, and within a few moments of first meeting them the word "Fag" flew from one of them because the other did something stupid. They got jumped for it, by myself and a few others. Their response was "They didn't mean it offensively" and "Well, my gay friends call each other fag all the time so it must be ok." They were sharply corrected but since then I've run into at least 3 other people (this is in the past 2 months) who had the same or similar response.

Of course, one of the people I mentioned was a white guy who got the SHIT beat out of him because he told a random black guy in the cafeteria at the college "Wutup Nigga?" His reason for doing it "Well, I was born in Africa, that's why I can say it." Wrong-o white boy. Morons, they're everywhere.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 31, 2009 1:25:25 AM

23. Unbelievable...this one just keeps getting better and better. World class assholes.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 31, 2009 1:41:59 AM

24. This is some HOT SHIT. But you kids keeping comparing Gays to Blacks

OH WELL!

Posted by: Chris | Oct 31, 2009 1:52:02 AM

25. For his statement to be true, he must be using it as a catchall phrase for "You suck!", which is pretty much how it is used by the majority of people. I actually think he is being sincere in that he has no idea that the term is offensive to more than just gay people. When he says that there is "a segment of our society that finds it offensive" he means "I didn't know that it was suddenly not okay to use it, because people use it all the time. Why me? Why now?" Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong time, the wrong place and the wrong people to say it to. I would feel bad for him that he is being singled out, except that I don't.

Posted by: Kian | Oct 31, 2009 2:26:06 AM