Football (American) | Gay Slurs | Kansas City | Larry Johnson | News | Sports

Who Doesn't Know the Word 'Faggot' is Offensive?

Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson and his agent Peter Schafer, or so Schafer claims:

Johnson"We know the N-word is unacceptable, that's not disputable -- but f*g? I'm learning that there's a segment of our society that finds it offensive and that it should not be used. I didn't realize that, but I do know now..."

Johnson received a one game suspension for directing the slur at members of the media and a fan on Twitter earlier this week. He is appealing the punishment.

Comments

1. oh, gawd, really?

Posted by: nic | Oct 31, 2009 3:18:27 AM

2. He knew the N-word was offensive? I live in NYC and cant go a day without someone calling their friend, another person or even an inanimate object a "n****r." Its no longer become a "we're black so we can say it" thing--I see Latinos and whites using it as well. The majority of gay people don't call each other faggots on a regular basis. And it certainly hasnt crept into the mainstream culture. No one says "Oh, he's my faggot!" when talking about a friend. Johnson is just saying whatever he needs to as a pro forma apology. I cant believe he's actually appealing a one-game suspension. If i used the n-word or the f-word at my place of business, Id face a lot more than a day off.

Posted by: dizzy spins | Oct 31, 2009 9:23:39 AM

3. "I didn't realize that, but I do know now..."

HE'S AN ABSOLUTE STINKING LIAR...

Posted by: STEVE RICHMOND | Oct 31, 2009 9:44:48 AM

4. I think LIAM is on to something that I really hadn't considered.

What he is actually saying is that he didn't realize that the word "f*ggot" was offensive to people other than f*ggots.

Translation, "I didn't realize REAL PEOPLE, people I actually respect, straight people, football fans (who could never be gay), would take offense to the word. Now that I know that more than just the f*ggots take offense to the word I'll try not to use it in mixed company, or outside the locker room (or even inside the locker room when reporters are present).

THIS is why, if you noticed, he apologized to EVERYONE he could think of EXCEPT gay people. He didn't give a shit about offending them and he's shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that anyone else could possibly have taken offense.

In my opinion, his latest clarification is ten times more offensive than his original statement.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 31, 2009 10:06:52 AM

5. While we're at it, and since a previous poster mentioned that the words are being tossed around to mean "you suck" -- how about we reclaim that one?

"That sucks!" -- think about it, why does that mean something bad? Sucking should be something really really good. Come on! It feels good, and a lot of us enjoy doing it, too! Let's start using it to mean "Fantastic! Wonderful!"

Posted by: KevinVT | Oct 31, 2009 11:04:11 AM

6. " I cant believe he's actually appealing a one-game suspension. If i used the n-word or the f-word at my place of business, Id face a lot more than a day off."

The one thing that is important to note about the 1-game suspension is that is translates into about $600,000 in lost salary. Most pro-athletes salaries are based on games played plus performance incentives during the game (bonuses for scoring, yards carried, etc.). In football, pros play only 16 regular season games so missing one game can cause a fair hit on your salary.

So while it is only one game, he is really appealing a $600,000 fine.

I'm not saying

Posted by: Ed | Oct 31, 2009 12:49:32 PM

7. He's 30 years old and a college graduate. He knew EXACTLY what he was saying (as well as why he was saying it) and his "didn't know" excuse is even sorrier than lame. My money says that if he's ever been called a fag he damn sure didn't say "thanks for the compliment". Simply another case of an over hyped and over paid jock thinking that the rules of common decency don't apply to him.

Posted by: ThomT | Oct 31, 2009 1:13:53 PM

8. i wonder if he would mind being called one?

Posted by: r | Oct 31, 2009 1:26:24 PM

9. @CHRIS,

why should we "kids" not compare gays to blacks?

Posted by: nic | Oct 31, 2009 1:42:22 PM

10. Andy, I'd like to hear your reply to the comment by "THE TRUTH."

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 31, 2009 2:36:36 PM

11. We know the F-word is unacceptable, that's not disputable -- but n***r? I'm learning that there's a segment of our society that finds it offensive and that it should not be used. I didn't realize that, but I do know now...

Posted by: miaedu | Oct 31, 2009 3:19:48 PM

12. @Miss Chris

In terms of the use of epithets (which is what this thread is about) yes, they are comparable. I consider both to be equally offensive and I have told this to homophobic black preachers.

I see where you are going with the conversation and I agree with but "faggot" = "nigger" (or even "nigga" I don't play that black folks are allowed to say it shit) as far as I am concerned. Period.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 31, 2009 4:23:40 PM

13. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see the big deal with using body parts as insults. It may be possible that I've met too many dicks, cunts, and assholes in my lifetime! It seems equal opportunity to me... ;)

Posted by: RDUB | Oct 31, 2009 5:57:00 PM

14. Everything you wrote was beautifully stated Liamb! Hear, hear!

Posted by: Jeff in NC | Oct 31, 2009 6:56:11 PM

15. i'm a homo, and i prefer that word. hate the word gay with a vengeance. homo has a better ring to it i think.

Posted by: billybobtoo | Oct 31, 2009 8:28:05 PM

16. Just to clarify, it was Johnson's agent who said he didn't know that fag is offensive. The quotation above is not from Johnson. As has been clear since Johnson released that "apology" (clearly written by someone else), he's not allowed anywhere near a camera or microphone at this point.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 31, 2009 9:28:31 PM

17. Okay Chi-town Kev

Congratulations for your participation in Maine...But Miss Chris???????
    Back up with that shit Kevin okay.

First off I'm not going anywhere with this.

Maybe you should have read the first post about this when Towleroad posted it. Some of the white kids in here was yelling NIGGER from front to back and NO I did'nt like it. I'm not a snow queen I did'nt find it amusing nor funny! When those two hispanic Men was caught for beating that white guy NOT ONE racial epithet was said in reference to them. So why when Blacks says something some of these kids go so negative against the whole damn RACE?????

Since you're an apologist for us Blacks maybe you can answer that.

Okay if you want to be an apologist African American then THAT'S YOU! I don't call anyone out of their name and I don't use the word NIGGER or NIGGA and don't like it when blacks use it as well.

So like I said don't bring that shit here. READ THE ORIGINAL POST. If you want to justify white gays screaming NIGGER and it makes you happy than you do that.

I'M NOT FUCKING HAVING IT!!!

Posted by: Chris | Oct 31, 2009 11:03:41 PM

18. @THETRUTH

well said.

Posted by: james | Nov 2, 2009 2:59:09 AM

19. You know some of us are both gay and black and don't take kindly to the n-word being thrown around lightly by white gay men anymore than we do the f-word being thrown around lightly by anyone.

Maybe while you're complaining and garnering sympathy for yourselves you should remember you're insulting your supposed black gay brothers at the same time by lashing out with n-bombs.

Or do we not matter to you unless you need us for a vote?

Posted by: Hypocrisy | Nov 2, 2009 6:16:08 AM