ABC Books Chris Brown After Dumping Adam Lambert: Convicted Felon More Appropriate for TV Than Unpredictable Gay Man?

ABC's Good Morning America is under fire for booking convicted felon Chris Brown immediately after dumping Adam Lambert over his American Music Awards performance:

Brownlambert "Brown will do a taped tell-all with Robin Roberts, followed by a performance of songs from his new album. But TV insiders say the appearance, slated to air the week after next, has outraged feminists and gay activists who wonder why a convicted girlfriend abuser is more palatable to the network than an openly gay man who broke no laws with his raunchy performance on the American Music Awards. An ABC source said, 'The network is giving a mixed message — that it doesn't trust someone who shocked with an unpredictable show and a gay kiss, but then it is happy to go ahead with Chris Brown, who was convicted of felony assault.'

ABC News has insisted that Lambert's sexual orientation did not play a role in its decision to pull the plug on his 'GMA' appearance this week.

ABC insiders said they ruled the 'American Idol' star's sexed-up shenanigans on Sunday's awards show — which included him groping a female dancer, kissing a male musician and shoving a male dancer's face into his crotch — were inappropriate for morning TV. One said, 'He was not canceled over a gay kiss. He showed himself to be unpredictable on live TV.'"

Comments

1. Nicole says

@Richie – exactly. Their statement is ridiculous.

Disgusting. ABC and CBS have both shown themselves to be cowardly and dishonest in the wake of the AMAs. I’ve learned much more about them than I ever wanted to know.

2. says

Interview with Adam Lambert where he calls CBS weak, quotes Velvet Goldmine, responds to OUT Magazine and promises to never apologize for the AMA’s, talks about his interest in fucking girls, the future of the gay movemnet and more in our 25min interview..

plus fab’s petition to prove more than 1500 people were disgusted with ABC for censoring him, 1600+ people have already signed it in 24 hours! – http://www.petitiononline.com/FabAdamL

3. MackMichael says

Not that I’m excusing ABC, but the values of American’s has long been sadly prioritized. It is nothing for television viewing audiences to watch shows wherein people are tortured, brutally murdered, decapitated, dismembered; but, for heaven’s sake, don’t show anything at all sexual. Janet Jackson couldn’t even show a nanosecond of a pasty covered breast, because somehow that was going to warp “the children.”

How many networks funnel through complaints about violence vs sex? And, until WE begin to bring our relationships out of the closet, risk whatever we must to hold hands across a table at a restaurant or walking down a (SAFE) street, we are going to continue to lose the arguments that “the children” will learn about us in school or on a live music awards program. It’s sad, but that is the reality.

4. Chitown Kev says

Ain’t that a bitch?

Beat a woman down and you get a gig. Man kisses a man and show him some simulated loving? Not so much.

What would Spinoza say about that, Tank? (good to see you, by the way)

5. patrick nyc says

People as MATTTHOMAS pointed out, the reason these idiots get away with trashing us is they are vocal. Send letters and emails, make phone calls. The squeaky wheel people.

ABC.COM CBS.COM

6. steve says

meh

I dunno – Scott Evans already did a gay kiss on One Life to Live months ago & there was no issue with ABC over that

and the show itself has at least one gay co-host (Robin Roberts)

I can’t really buy the argument that ABC is some sort of evil anti-gay corporation just cause they don’t want Lambert acting like a $2-blow-job whore at 8 in the morning while people are eating their donuts

too bad his performances haven’t led to a better national discussion than his right to publicly act like a slut, but whatever – a martyr is born

and Chris Brown is scum

7. DR says

Unpredictable on live TV?

And how many weeks exactly did Lambert perform LIVE on American Idol?

Posted by: Richie | Nov 27, 2009 11:47:55 AM
    _____________________________________________

I watched far too many of Adam’s performances on AI than I should be willing to admit to (all but two nights), and I can tell you that while he had a certain sexuality about him, he never acted on AI like he did on the AMAs. Nor did he ever act like this on tour (as a matter of fact, I recall a quick interview where he even begged his fans to stop throwing him underwear and sex toys).

8. Josh says

Complain to CBS and ABC…

But please also consider supporting Adam by buying his album.

The Deluxe version on itunes includes 2 bonus tracks (Master plan and Down the Rabbit Hole). Master Plan is a pretty good gay anthem, imho.

9. Q says

@Nicole, as much I think this is some wack bullshit on the part of ABC, let’s not oversimplify things by saying that “Chris Brown has clearly demonstrated that he is “unpredictable” when alone with women.” He was in a relationship with Rhianna and beat her down in the midst of an argument. What he did was reprehensible and I do not support him or his music, but don’t paint him as some psychopath that attacks women at random. Let’s keep it real.

10. BobStorm says

Let’s not forget what biz Adam Lambert and ABC are in…SHOW Business! Adam Lambert’s act on the AMA’s was exactly that a SHOW. He did his job…he gave us a show. And now we are doing our jobs…TALKING about it! The old show biz adage…”any publicity is better than NO publicity.”

11. don't get it twisted says

Umm DR, not once did he ‘beg’ his fans to stop throwing him sex toys. He joked it should be equal opportunity, throw jockstraps as well.

You were comfortable with him humping the micstand on tour singing “woman you need it” and improvising with “what a lovely cock” to Antonio who slapped him with a rubber chicken and singing “what the F is this” during the Slowride duet cracking Allison up but male/male put you off?

Every song on his album tells a different story. Broken Open makes you sob. Soaked is stunning. FYE is about sexual aggression. What did you expect rainbows and puppies.

Eminem bragged about RAPING 17 women – RAPE!

Janet felt up and grabbed her dancer’s crotch so roughly that he fell then bent him over to get ‘butt access’

Rihanna had over 10 rifles onstage after she got off a sexual torture device

Shakira had half naked female dancers visually humping the audience on masse while she sang about animalistic sex

Gaga smashed whiskey bottles with her crotch out singing about sex

Had Britney also been there grinding against her male and female dancers singing about threesomes, it would have just been another racy female performance.

NOT A WORD.

Apparently you can only be queer if you act straight. Two men is perverted whilst two women is sensual.

Chris Brown a bumbling douchebag who beat the crap out of his gf’s face, REARRANGING it, is according to GMA, a better role model than a gay man.

Nice going America.

12. TANK says

Q, fuck you. Chris Brown’s a DV perp. Do you have any idea what you’re talking about when it comes to domestic violence? Of course you don’t. This wasn’t an isolated incident (those don’t exist), it was a calculated move on the part of a man who think he has the right to abuse women. This wasn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last time. So it’s not accurate to call him unpredictable with women, Q–instead, he’s predictably abusive. Let’s keep it real.

13. Lane says

Give me a break. Prince’s antics over the years have been far more sexual and no one gives him crap over it. Adam is quite tame compared to some of the outfits and dance moves Prince has done with various women. People are simply throwing a fit because a gay man is doing it.

14. Jackson says

While I think ABC is definitely in the wrong here, I’d like to go on the record and say that I thought the face-to-crotch part of Lambert’s “performance” was tasteless, crude, and should not have been done especially on live television.

And no, I’m not going to turn Glambert and turn him into a gay cause-celebre and buy his album to show support. He doesn’t represent me, and to be honest, I don’t like him.

15. says

That is absolute bull crap. We all love Rhianna and no one really like Chris Brown and it is even more offensive they kicked off a guy because he was gay and replaced him with an idiot. Almost makes me want to not watch DH on ABC anymore. Great story.

16. Q says

Tank, go take your fucking meds and calm your ass down. The only woman that Chris has beaten was Rhianna, whom he was in an abusive relationship with. That doesn’t mean that he RANDOMLY ATTACKS WOMEN HE IS ALONE WITH, which is what Nicole’s statement implied. Otherwise he would have been locked up long ago, as I am sure he has been ALONE with many women both casually and intimately. So you can shove your “expertise” in domestic violence and “predictions” of Brown’s future violent acts up your maniacal ass.

17. TANK says

The fact that you’d say that the only woman that chris brown “beat” (abuse is more than physical, you knuckle dragging scum), reveals that you don’t know anything about domestic violence. It’s a pattern, and if you knew just how unlikely (how mind numbingly unlikely) it is that rhianna was the only one chris brown beat, you’d shut your fuckin’ trap. Once again, this was not the first time, and sure as you’re alive, it ain’t gonna be the last.

I guess that ike turner was just misunderstood, huh? Schmuck.

18. TANK says

Q, you’re entirely ignorant about what domestic violence is…I mean you don’t know ANYTHING about it. The same with homophobia, and to be honest, every other topic you’ve discussed. It’s just the system, man…causin’ all the problems. Some dude keeping everyone down…that’s a great way to avoid responsibility for anything.

19. Q says

Tank, you’re a fucking idiot. For the last time, because you abuse your wife or girlfriend, that does not mean that you will beat women at RANDOM simply because you are alone with them. So if I smack my boyfriend, that means that I will smack every man that I am alone in a room with? If I kick a dog out of anger, I will kick every dog that I get in my clutches?

And you don’t know WHAT knowledge I have about domestic violence, bitch. I’ve dealt with it first hand and I know all about the “patterns” of domestic violence. But that’s what it is: DOMESTIC. The person has an intimate relationship with his victim(s). I know spousal abusers who beat their wives and never laid a hand on any other woman. And that’s not a defense for their actions, that’s just a fact. Not everyone fits a textbook example. I’ve never heard of Ike Turner beating random women as he walked down the street or sat alone with them. And maybe it is likely that Chris beat other girls that he was dated, but since no one has come forward to prove otherwise, then it is pure speculation on your part to say that “it’s not the first time and sure as you’re alive, it won’t be the last.” How the fuck could you possibly know that? Do you KNOW him personally? You got some insider information on Chris Brown that you haven’t shared with the police?

And toots, I don’t give a good gotdamn what you think about my comments. I don’t write my comments for your approval. If you don’t like ’em, don’t read em. Just like I normally skip over your idiotic tirades, which by the way, get called out for their inanity far more frequently than anything that I have ever written.

20. says

Q, I fail to see how Nicole’s point wasn’t valid in context. One excuse for canning Adam was that he was “unpredictable” on live TV. Since Adam performed for an entire season on AI well within the bounds of decency, calling him unpredictable is way off base. He was unpredictable once in a mildly scandalous way on a show with several other “unpredictable” performers. Clearly, Chris Brown has been unpredictable with women at least once, in a much less harmless way, so why is Nicole’s comparison so crazy?

The difference is that Adam’s so-called violation hurt no one and has become a manufactured media controversy whereas Chris Brown actually smashed up his girlfriend’s face! Who’s the greater threat to society? ABC seems to think Adam is.

Within their ludicrous double standard, ABC is punishing one performer (unsuccessfully, since it only makes them look bad) who made an imaginary crude gesture while rewarding another performer who committed real and despicable violence against another human being. They’ve decided that a girlfriend beater is more worthy of a performance slot than Adam.

Nicole was keeping it real, Q, you and ABC aren’t.

21. TANK says

Q…you’re a fucking mongoloid. I didn’t say that chris brown would start beating women at random. There’s nothing random about the abuser that chris brown is. It’s very intentional.

WOW…you’re a fuckin’ douche. I think you need a talking doll to argue with…you’d still lose, but at least after a long while, you might understand why.

22. TANK says

And unpredictable in this case doesn’t mean…random…wow, you are just spinning this story as fast as your stupid little fingers can type, Q. If you understood what was meant (which you didn’t, or just don’t care because you don’t care about the truth), not many people KNEW that chris brown was an abuser…but he is. It was a surprise to a lot of people. I expect next you’re going to play the race card as you did in the other post in which it was irrelevant.

23. q says

Ernie, this was Nicole’s statement:

“Furthermore, Chris Brown has clearly demonstrated that he is “unpredictable” when alone with women, yet ABC had no issue sending Robin Roberts to interview him?”

So the point being that Robin would be in danger of being around Chris Brown because he is “unpredictable” when alone with women because he beat up his girlfriend. How can he be labeled a threat to ALL women by a domestic incident with Rhianna? Now he’s psychopath that will attack interviewers simply by being in the room with them? Isn’t that the same false kind of judgment that ABC is placing on Adam? It’s not about which incident is better or worse, it’s about the validity of the JUDGMENTS. BOTH are false.

24. says

i think the REAL question on everyone’s mind here is, What is Sherri Sheppard going to say about it on Monday’s The View? she went on record saying she bought her 15 year old niece’s Chris Brown tickets because ‘they had talked about the abuse thing with them, and it was done with.’ i’m sure she will be totally fine with ABC’s decision. remember Adam’s performance was so vile to her she had to turn it off… coincidentally, i watched her new show for the first time the other night and i had to turn it off! i thought i was watching a high school play. i could literally see the actors looking for their marks on the floor and them looking for their lines on their hands…

and Tank—yer my man! Q is TOTALLY out of touch, totally whacked in the head on this subject. i’d bet a million bucks that wasn’t the first time CB hit Rihanna, and another million she wasn’t the first woman he’d hit. but i’m not up tonight for entering the discussion fully, so forget what i just wrote.

25. says

I can’t speak for Nicole, Q, but it seems to me that as “unpredictable” behaviors go, fake suggestive gestures on one live TV show are less offensive than real punches to one woman’s face. I think you’re taking Nicole’s point WAY too literally.

It’s not that Chris Brown is going to actually attack his interviewer–it’s the ludicrousness of ABC’s argument that Adam–a gay performer–is too dangerous for morning TV after a mildly provocative performance (which, once again, harmed no one) while Chris Brown–a straight performer–is safe for morning TV after he’s beaten up at least one woman.

Many gay people are simply questioning why ABC finds a gay man who’s done nothing remotely criminal less suitable for morning TV than a straight man who’s known for bashing his girlfriend. That’s the point–it’s not really about Robin being in literal danger. It’s more like, why are they–and she–giving this criminal a platform to sell music? Are you really not bothered by ABC’s double standard?

26. Q says

Ernie, I never once compared the seriousness of either artists’ actions because we all know there is no comparison. Read my original comment again. I said that what ABC was doing was wack bs. So I’m not sure why you would think I was not bothered by it. Nicole’s comment seemed like an exagerated dig at Brown and I thought it was unfair. If it was meant to be ironic or purely sarcastic, then I missed it. If so, apologies to Nicole.

27. gayboixd says

FIRST of all, this whole Chris Brown & Rihanna thing has absolutely nothing to do with his MUSICAL CAREER. He wasn’t beating Rihanna onstage. And it’s not like he hit her randomly. It’s been said that Rihanna was being just as much of a bitch to him. I’m not justifying his actions by any means, because he WAS wrong. But I’m saying that it has nothing to do with anything. At least HE apologized for it. Lambert refuses to apologize for GOING BEHIND THE NETWORK’S BACK and doing all that shit. And just because GaGa and Janet are all sexed-up pervs doesn’t give Adam a reason to be one too. GaGa and Janet can go look like the whores they are all they want to. If GaGa and Janet told Adam to jump off a bridge, would he? No. Adam should be setting a good example for the gay community. Or at least saving his racy performances for later on in his career. Sorry, but this wasn’t a very good first impression. He said he didn’t want people to think he’d be doing this all the time, that it was just this one performance. Well, that’s what you get for making it your FIRST performance. Brilliant career move, Adam. And for all you dumbasses who think ABC is homophobic. Why the fuck would the network have him scheduled to perform on GMA IN THE FIRST PLACE if they’re so homophobic? Makes no sense right? Exactly. So quit playing the fucking gay card, dust off your fucking BRAIN and USE IT.

28. TANK says

Hello Kevin. I didn’t see your post. Nice to see you, too. Spinoza? Oy…I could never grasp the full Ethics–parts of it, not the whole thing (and I’ve read all of it, though…many times). It’s one big argument, and once you grasp it, ethical enlightenment, apparently. It’s got some coded premises, too. Hard piece to tackle, and I like to keep things simple, so I’m a utilitarian (preference). I don’t think he’d condone domestic violence and would be pretty disgusted by chris brown’s actions, though…he was a pretty passionate guy when it came to things like that…his friends who were political commentators were butchered by a mob of people who accused them of atheism…and their remains on display with an “animal” sign (for atheism) under them. He had to be physically restrained by people who cared about him because he was going to show that mob who the real animals were.

29. FunMe says

You know what? I don’t really like American Idol.

But guess what? Now I am going to go out and buy Adam Lambert’s CD just to give my support. I might hate the music. But who cares. I’m making a statement.

FINALLY a gay young man comes out as he begins his career without claiming his is “bi” like Elton John and George Michael.

TEAM LAMBERT all the way!

30. Glenn says

Yeah, let’s support the person who doesn’t want to be the poster boy for gays. It’s nice to know that while you’re supporting him, he doesn’t want to speak or fight for you. Yay, Team Lambert.

31. NVTodd says

I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something…

I saw Lambert’s performance, and thought it was a train wreck. I just didn’t have any appreciation for it. I thought it lacked anything artistic, and was vulgar, just for attention’s sake. To me, just my opinion, it was a big snooze.

So just because he’s sometimes gay, I do not feel compelled to feel anything for him. He doesn’t represent me, or *any* gay men and women *I* know, and the kiss being censored to me was just a late reaction to a series of stupid censurable crap spewed by his stupid and boorish “performance”, and I don’t give half a crap about his precious career, or his PR stunts.

Gays need to get over being a target market, and get on with fighting for what really matters; and it ain’t Adam Lambert’s lame assed, pathetic career.

32. says

Blurring a gay kiss on TV is blatant homophobic!

I was disgusted by the TV series “V” showing a alien kiss a human;-)

Doesn’t the female leader of the Visitors look and walk like the GEICO Gecko?
    I’ll financially support Lambert over Brown any day.

33. says

Oh, Chris Brown wasn’t beating Rihanna on stage and she’s a bitch anyway. Never mind then. He’s cool. As long as you beat people with the cameras off it doesn’t count. Thanks for clearing that up, GAYBOIXD. And I’m glad to know that Adam’s performance at the AMA’s was his FIRST! I guess I was mistaking him for that other gay guy who performed live countless times over an entire season of AI. But I suppose that none of those who watched the AMA’s had ever seen that obscure show, AI, so even if they were the same person it wouldn’t matter. No one, especially ABC, could have ever predicted that unknown Adam Lambert would like indulge in GAY-friendly innuendo on national TV! Shocking!

P.S. NVTODD, many people who are criticizing the double standards from ABC and CBS didn’t like Adam’s performance, including myself. It’s their handling of it and their ludicrous justifications that are at issue, not Adam’s career. It’s possible to hate (love, or be indifferent to) Adam’s music–or his pocked “completion”, whatever that is, DOUG “Troll” BERMAN–and still find their hypocrisy noteworthy.

34. whatever3 says

What about all the female artists who go on stage at these shows who grab a male dancers head and rub it in their crotch while preforming their shows while on tv. They don’t get all this much heat about it. It is because hes gay, and people need something to complain about, its simple as that.

35. jamal49 says

Great, so now we get to see super pussy punk Chris Brown get all weepy-deepy again as he justifies his violent and abusive behavior. Adam Lambert kisses a man and (maybe ill-advisedly) does a two-second “mock fellatio” routine (happened so fast and it was like–yawn!) So, yeah, ABC, give us an interview with convicted felon and community-service butt-boy Chris Brown. Hey, maybe you can get Whoopi Goldberg on and have her defend Chris’ behavior as a “cultural thing” like she did when Michael Vick was caught having illegal dog fights on his property which was all about torturing and abusing dogs. Either way, ABC, it’s one more reason not to watch your shitty network.

36. says

I don’t understand Adam Lambert. Not that long ago he he hesitated to be on the cover of a popular gay magazine because, apparently, he didn’t want to appear “too gay” or whatever. So now he’s bitching about being censored for being “in-your-face” gay? He seems confused. Either that, or his PR team are.

37. PAUL HALLIWELL says

MY NAME IS PAUL HALLIWELL AND MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS TXSTUDPAUL@YAHOO.COM

EVERYONE WANTS TO PRETEND TO BE OUTRAGED AT A WOMAN BEING HIT IN ANY FORM. YET IT TAKES TWO TO HAVE A FIGHT. IF CHRIS DID NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR AND WALK AWAY RIHANNA SHOULD HAVE. THIS WAS NOT SOMETHING THAT JUST HAPPENED IT HAD BEEN HAPPING FOR A WHILE AND SOME HOW RIHANNA AGREED TO FORGIVE CHRIS BROWN AND HE HER FOR THE TRANSGRESSIONS. NOW THAT HE STILL HAS TO MAKE A LIVING GIVEN HE HAS MILLIONS SO HIM DOING THIS IS MEANT TO SHARE HIS TALENTS YOU WANNA SHUN HIM YET ACCEPT RIHANNA THOUGH SHE HAS DONE THE SAME THING. IN THE REPORTS I READ SHE RIHANNA WAS JUST ABUSIVE AS CHRIS BROWN BUT NO ONE SPEAKS ABOUT THAT. NOW THE HOMOSEXUAL PERFORMANCE WOW YOU SAD ASS HOMOSEXUALS CRY FOR THIS AND CRY FOR THAT AND YOU COST LIVES I.E. ISAIAH THOMAS, HOMOSEXUAL GROUPS MADE NO CLAMOR ABOUT HIM BEING FIRED AFTER HE FOLLOWED ORDERS DID THE PSA AND APOLOGIZED BUT COMMENTED THAT ISAIAH THOMAS DID MORE FOR THE HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY THAN T.J. KNIGHT AND/OR KNIGHTLY. YOU’VE COMPARED BEING HOMOSEXUAL WITH BEING AFRICAN AMERICAN AND EVEN REFERRD TO YOURSELVES AS THE NEW NIGGERS ON THAT BLOCK WELL YOU CAN HIDE BEING HOMOSEXUAL YOU CAN’T HIDE BEING AFRICAN. YOUR LAME ASS ATTEMPT TO CRUSH ANOTHER MAN WILL NOT WORK AS YOU HAVE BEEN SEEN FOR WHAT YOU ARE AS WELL AS RIHANNA, THAT’S RIGHT CRY ON CUE MAKE YOUR VOICE TREMBLE AND SPEAK ABOUT BEING STRONG I FIND THAT REPREHENSIBLE THAT NO ONE HAS POINTED THAT OUT. TO THE HOMOSEXUALS YOU FIND OUT SOMETHING NEW ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOU WANNA BREAK OFF INTO FACTIONS AND DEMAND RIGHTS FOR THIS AND THAT YET ALL THIS THAT YOU ARE DOING IN YOUR ROOMS IN THE CLUBS HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE PAST YOU ARE NOTHING NEW YOU ARE NOTHING VALUABLE WHEN IT COME TO WHICH SIDE YOU STICK IT IN YET THAT IS WHAT YOU FOCUS ON AND HATE IT WHEN IT IS POINTED OUT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. I DARE NOT MENTION THE RACISM THAT FREQUENTS AND RUNS RAMPANT IN THE QUOTE UNQUOTE GAY COMMUNITY OF THE RAINBOW FLAG. BE OUTRAGE AND UPSET BUT FOCUS YOUR MADNESS AND OUTRAGE BACK TOWARD YOURSELF AND TO YOUR COMMUNITY.